FIU -
@LaTech -
Marshall -
@FAU -
North Texas -
@UTSA -

Here's mine

Jackson State - W (Close game)
@Alabama-Tuscaloosa - L (Closer than expected. Less than 3 TD's.)
Charlotte - W (blow out)
@Illinois - L (very close game, could go either way)
Vanderbilt - W
@WKU - L
FIU - W
@LaTech - L
Marshall - L
@FAU - W
North Texas - W
@UTSA - W

Final Record: 7-5

If we don't win at least 7 games this year I will consider it a failure. 6-6 and being "bowl eligible" isn't gonna cut it.

This post was edited on 2/8 7:41 AM by sWiley

Originally posted by sWiley:
Here's mine

Jackson State - W (Close game)
@Alabama-Tuscaloosa - L (Closer than expected. Less than 3 TD's.)
Charlotte - W (blow out)
@Illinois - L (very close game, could go either way)
Vanderbilt - W
@WKU - L
FIU - W
@LaTech - L
Marshall - L
@FAU - W
North Texas - W
@UTSA - W

Final Record: 7-5

If we don't win at least 7 games this year I will consider it a failure. 6-6 and being "bowl eligible" isn't gonna cut it.

This post was edited on 2/8 7:41 AM by sWiley
I was going to do a game by game, but you've got the same wins and losses that I do.

I don't know if 6-6 would be a failure, but I think that would make 2016 absolutely crucial. One mediocre season is OK, that happens to everyone from time to time. Two in a row uses up the equity that's been built.

3 might be time to re-evaluate the program.

Jackson State - w
@Alabama-Tuscaloosa - l
Charlotte - w
@Illinois - l
Vanderbilt - l
@WKU - l
FIU - l
@LaTech - l
Marshall - l
@FAU - w
North Texas - l
@UTSA - w

4-8

Something to think about. A school not too far down the road rewarded a coach with a big fat contract extension after his third season noted below. When mediocrity set in after that extension, it took this school nine years and two more head coaches to fix the damage. Even worse, both previous head coaches were still on the payroll in 2012 along with new HC #3. Head Coach who got fired in 2009 had no incentive to find work for three more years and even if he did, his new salary did not offset previous school's obligation to him thanks to an incompetent AD. Thankfully, fired HC #2 took well paying positions that offset a matching portion of his salary due from the previous contract.

Middle Tennessee cannot afford another mediocre or losing season. Period.

2001 (5-6)
2002 (3-9)
2003 (9-4)
2004 (8-4)
2005 (7-5)
2006 (2-10)
2007 (7-6)
2008 (6-7)
2009 (2-10) HC Fired
2010 (1-11)
2011 (2-10) HC Fired
2012 (4-8)
2013 (3-9)
2014 (10-3) AP #25 End of season rankings

This post was edited on 2/8 2:36 PM by FranklinRaider315

This post was edited on 2/10 7:57 AM by FranklinRaider315

At best 6-6, more than likely 5-7. Sorry, but the truth hurts. This program is going nowhere.

Way too early to tell. There are some big decisions to be made. Last years D-line and secondary underperformed and we must match the o to our QB's strengths and weaknesses which we didn't do a good job of last year.

Question. Would your rather have a QB with a stronger arm or better scrambling ability?

We didn't do ourselves any good record wise when we picked up UT-A and we sure didn't get any help from the conference when the schedule was released. With a more manageable game other than the Tide and a conference schedule similar to last year we would have chances for at least a couple more victories.

Time will tell but I'm thinking next year will be one in which we can't boast of being "Bowl Eligible".

Originally posted by MTsumner92:
Way too early to tell. There are some big decisions to be made. Last years D-line and secondary underperformed and we must match the o to our QB's strengths and weaknesses which we didn't do a good job of last year.

Question. Would your rather have a QB with a stronger arm or better scrambling ability?
In Brent Stockstill wasn't on the team all of us would say AG had a solid first year starting and would be looking forward to his growth into the position.

I think somehow we are going to get to 7 wins and a bowl game if we don't we must make a change. Its year 10, that is a lifetime in college coaching. Our program needs some juice. Hoping for dramatic improvement in one area of the team - hoping its on defense.

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:

In Brent Stockstill wasn't on the team all of us would say AG had a solid first year starting and would be looking forward to his growth into the position.

I think somehow we are going to get to 7 wins and a bowl game if we don't we must make a change. Its year 10, that is a lifetime in college coaching. Our program needs some juice. Hoping for dramatic improvement in one area of the team - hoping its on defense.
I think the thing that hurts AG was that he (and the entire offense) was noticably less effective as the year went on.

Whether this was due to injuries, or maybe defenses just started adjusting better once they got some game film on AG, or the fact that AG was just lights out the first half and then kind of regressed to the mean - who knows.

AG had a promising year and deserves to be #1 on the chart come Spring, but I don't think he's done anything to lock up the job.

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:

For me it was Erderly, not Stockstill. I preferred Erderly over them all, but I guess the coaches didn't, so who cares right? He's gone now anyway. Good luck to him, that kid is gonna do some damage somewhere. Gonna laugh when he heads to a power 5 school after one year in the JC ranks.

I watched Erdely in all of the practices and in the spring game. He couldn't finish a drive to save his life. Stockstill was way more vertical than the other 2 but A.G. made the best plays and completed drives. It's a 2 horse race again this fall.

BTW, I'm going with 8-4. We will be a better team this year. Especially on D.

Offense:
-QB - Grammer actually had a really good yr as an underclassman, first full yr starter. He should look well going into 2015.
-RB - Losing Whatley stinks, but Tucker, Parker, Bryson, and Grammer should more than cover the ground game.....if the o-line allows such.
-WR/TE - After Batties/Henry, Grammer spread the ball around quite well. We don't shouldn't lose a ton of guys that will cripple the passing game.
-OL - We return almost every starter....plus additional depth. Should be improved.

Defense:
-DL - Lose Bastien and McNeil, but everyone else is back and with additional depth. I don't consider McNeil a huge loss.....Bastien? yes, McMeil? no.
-LB - Losing Henry stinks. Gotta find an answer there.
-2ndary - as a whole should be decent and back.
-ST - both K and P return....which should be at least as good if not better. Lose Whatley as a returner which is big.

Outlook: As a whole, the team doesn't look bad. The offense appears to be trending up while the defense may be trending sideways.......at least as far as "on paper" personnel and stats are concerned.

WK 1 - Jackson State - Home game against an opponent who went 5-7 in the SWAC last yr. This should be a win. 1-0.
WK 2 - @Alabama-Tuscaloosa - away against Bama. I only hope we don't have any catastrophic injuries. 1-1
WK 3 - Charlotte - Home against an opponent who went 5-6 last yr against OVC kind of talent. 2-1.

WK 4 - @Illinois - The Illini are trending upward. Beckman has improved their record by 2 wins each of the last 3 yrs. They went 6-7 in the BigTEN and may be looking at 6-8 wins next yr. This is not a surefire loss and we have a chance....still.....2-2

WK 5 - Vanderbilt - Mason went 3-9 last yr.....and then chose to dump his OC for another. They are reeling, they are desperate. The talent that Mason is recruiting isn't too far ahead of what MT is bringing in. The only downside is that Mason still has quite a number of Franklin's recruits. Vandy likely will start a freshman at QB.....and be very young all over the offense.....so they may struggle to move the ball at times......and they will be prone to mistakes. The defense will be of mixed experience and is talented in spots. It is at home though. This game is winnable.....provided we play decently. 3-2.

WK 6 - @WKU - I would feel better if this game were at home. WKU has a nice, consistent program. This game could go either way. 3-3

WK 7 - FIU - Turner seems to be improving a very, very bad FIU team. They improved from 1 win to 4 wins in his 2 yrs there. They appear to be improving, but the game is at home and we should still have the lead as far as talent/team goes. 4-3
WK 8 - @LaTech - LaTech is a decently coached team with good talent. They lose a lot of veteran players but still should be pretty tough......and it's away. 4-4
WK 9 - Marshall - Holliday is a great coach and hopefully will be on his way to a bigger job this next yr. Thank goodness it's at home. Still.....4-5

WK 10 - @FAU - Partridge neither did good nor bad in his first yr. Still we should be able to win this one. 5-5
WK 11 - North Texas - I don't think McCarney is a great coach by any means and this game is at home. We win in a close one. 6-5
WK 12 - @UTSA - Coker has struggled to turn this team around since coming on board. He's had some good yrs and some bad yrs. And they lose quite a number of guys off their 2 deep.....even at key positions like QB, C, both OT's.....and 14 guys off their defensive 2 deep. MT wins. 7-5

There is potential for 8-4 here.

Bastien being 2nd on the team in sacks looks to me to be an indictment of how poor our pass rush truly was rather than the fact that he was an exceptional player.

5.5 sacks is not a great amount.

Do you think Tommy West has to slink around the athletic department on his tiptoes?- that's what I'd do if I was stealing money and didn't want to get caught.

Originally posted by RaiderDoug:
Bastien being 2nd on the team in sacks looks to me to be an indictment of how poor our pass rush truly was rather than the fact that he was an exceptional player.

5.5 sacks is not a great amount.

Nope, it's not a lot of sacks. But it seems like he was pretty much the best option we had.......or, at least, the 2nd best option we had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT