ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Yahoo report on CBB corruption, P5 programs and HOF coaches headed for a fall

giphy.gif

I will believe it when I see it. When they elected not to punish UNC after YEARS of academic fraud, you know the top tier programs are bulletproof. But hopefully programs like ours did not provide a free soft drink or similar violation because they will throw the book at us.

If they do surprise us and do anything, the NCAA will almost certainly not want to see any incriminating documents until after the final four.

I see the Dores are represented in this list.

This actually makes me nervous. Too many blue bloods listed. Tark’s saying, “the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they will probably slap another two years probation on Cleveland State,” comes to mind. We better make sure no one gives Giddy an extra cream or sugar with his coffee. /SI

According to ESPN, if the NCAA confirms any of these, based on the past, the player will probably be immediately declared ineligible.

And so it begins. The real question is, will the NCAA actually punish all these blue bloods?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...n-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules

Schools identified by Yahoo! as having players who possibly violated NCAA rules include Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Southern California and Kansas. At least 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits, including Michigan State's Miles Bridges, Alabama's Collin Sexton and Duke's Wendell Carter.

I'm sorry but I just don't see how someone in the AD of these schools didn't know. I mean, dinner with an agent or something, that's too stupid to even discuss.

But getting $30k+ and "supposedly" the school being in the dark.....I don't buy it.

This morning Yahoo! appeared to rock the college basketball world with their revelations on ASM Sports’ shady dealings and what implications it might have in terms of the NCAA. Christian Dawkins, who was arrested by the FBI in September, is at the center of the scandal. Some of the allegations concern larger sums - like NC State’s Dennis Smith getting upwards of $70k - while others seem like one-sided meals with players and various family members.

According to Yahoo!’s report of ASM Sports’ expense reports, he took:

• UNC’s Brice Johnson to Carrabas ($100.09)
  • Duke’s Wendell Carter’s mother to Longhorn ($106.36)
  • Texas’ Isaiah Taylor to PF Changs ($146.36)
  • Clemson’s Jaron Blossomgame to Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse ($173.25)
  • Virginia’s Malcolm Brogdon’s mother (Dr. Jann Adams) to the Ritz-Carlton ($64.16)

Here’s what you can get at the Atlanta Ritz Carlton for $64.16

Apparently Sean Miller's contract has a $10.3 million payout even if he's fired WITH cause. Wow.

So basically, Miller, Ayton, and Trier will walk away from this with millions while the Arizona b-ball program is left in shambles. Makes sense.....

It's time for the NCAA to institute financial penalties combined with show causes for coaches caught cheating. I guarantee if you start voiding coaching contracts and slapping them with show causes, the cheating would become a lot less rampant. Sickening environment.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Reports are out now that Miller won’t coach today. Now you watch. He’ll get canned (for sure won’t be the only head coach in this mess) but some school will stil hire him that either A doesn’t care or B is in such desperation they are willing to take the risk. Preferably with a show cause clause.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Apparently Sean Miller's contract has a $10.3 million payout even if he's fired WITH cause. Wow.

So basically, Miller, Ayton, and Trier will walk away from this with millions while the Arizona b-ball program is left in shambles. Makes sense.....

It's time for the NCAA to institute financial penalties combined with show causes for coaches caught cheating. I guarantee if you start voiding coaching contracts and slapping them with show causes, the cheating would become a lot less rampant. Sickening environment.

That guy just might need that money for legal defense and possible future big fines as he's likely in legal jeopardy. Not sure how far the rest will go in the shop in the poke.

How bad this scandal actually is has not even fully come out yet, and power conference shills...er...talking heads are already starting to shape narrative. Shaped narrative starting to sound like just a few should get in trouble, it's a problem with rules, loosening rules will help the poor teams struggling to get to the final four each year. Of course I added sarcasm in my paraphrase, but it's not too much of a stretch in already hearing them angling to further strengthen the P5 rather an equal playing field.

Sure, people will stretch rules any which way they can. For instance if meals out could be purchased, next thing you know restaurants with open accts for prospect, his friends, teammates, and HS classmates would be provided. Outside of ridiculous exceptions such as that, buying someone a meal generally seems pretty minor.

What does really aggravate me is all these P5 programs paying actual dollars, and big dollars at that, to land prospects. Makes me sick. So many other programs struggle to have just a little success, yet the P5 programs have to add cheating and corruption to their already many advantages. MT this season, anything more than 1 loss after Dec will be devastating to your team's postseason chances and national standing. P5 programs lose 2 oe 3 in a row and they are still in the Top 25. That sort of stuff is just not right. In addition to clearing some of these corrupt people out, I hope they adjust and improve rules to make things more fair across the board. I'm not holding my breath though.

i dont think he did anything against the law?

I'm just going by some of the opinions of lawyers who are interviewed regarding all this cheating stuff. I'm not going to claim that I know all the details. While no specific charges have been asserted, some of the reports are more along the lines of potential legal jeopardy.

Not surprising at this point. I know I've been in some of the discussions in some of the other threads addressing the reality that the P5 type "establishment" of college football and basketball are starting to double down. It did not take long for the pundits to turn from the problem of corruption to the rules and law enforcement are the problem.

Barkley seemed to have said it all this weekend, we all cheated back then and most cheat now. So the FBI should look elsewhere.

Personally, I do have a beef with all of this corruption. How many of the "have nots" or non P5 types try to play by the rules and try to compete and be relevant in college basketball. From the players, the coaches, the alumni, and the close dedicated fans investing and spending to try to see their program have some good runs every now and then, it's not right that all these people are denied a legitimate shot because a bunch of the "elites" cheat and/or are corrupt. Frankly, it makes me sick. This is not some victimless crime. The "elite successful" programs are rewarded with millions of dollars from TV contracts, advertising, increased ticket sales, increased and larger donations. The playing field becomes even more uneven.

Early in March, look at the college basketball players all around the country who are devastated on national tv when their March Madness dreams are ended by a loss in a conference tournament. You ever notice the intensity is not even the same with mid-major and low-major compared to high major conference tourney games? The high major teams know that a conference tourney loss does not hurt their NCAA championship tournament chances nowhere near as much as it devastates mid and low major programs chances of an at-large bid.

I think of guys like Giddy Potts this March. You know he worked all year just like any other competitive D1 college basketball athlete for a chance to compete to be the best on the national stage in March. Players like Giddy, the coaches, they work hard all year long pouring their guts out to try to succeed. Then at the end of the season players like Giddy who worked hard and did it right are denied the opportunity to further compete in the top tournament because they do not belong to a conference that keeps the whole corrupt system running year after year. Or worse yet, a team such as MT, St Mary's, or even WKU are denied an opportunity to make room for the teams who are cheating and paying big dollars to recruits to play at their program. The cheating teams are thusly rewarded for cheating and usually end up being paid a ton more of money to do it all over again next year.

Don't watch. I followed a bit of the Loyola game but had no interest in Vil vs KS and will not watch on Monday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT