ADVERTISEMENT

Why did we move away from being a pressing team?

Blueraider_Mike

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2005
Never forget the first few years, nobody wanted to play Middle due to our style. Will never forget the Maryland game, yeah we lost, but they knew they had been in a war. Lately, we have had a good go to player like Rowe but not the overall team athleticism that we had in Insel early years.

The last three or four years we have gotten away from that style. We will never be able to recruit like the top 20 teams but we can recruit to that system.

What say you?

Smith had a team full of athletes who could press. Insell hasn't recruited that type of player.

IMO, Insell hasn't recruited as well as Smith.

Originally posted by MTLynn:
Smith had a team full of athletes who could press. Insell hasn't recruited that type of player.

IMO, Insell hasn't recruited as well as Smith.
Whats interesting, the pressing is what he was known for in HS and his early years at MT...I think the key for us is to go back that direction - not sure it can be done.

just got back from the UK game. UK was doing what we were doing back in the Smith years and early CRI years. Pressing. Outside of Rowe, we looked lost.

Let me first say Im not new here. I keep forgetting my password and and just end up making new profiles...
Having watched this team twice and listening twice on the radio here are my thoughts
1) we arent athletic enough to press, honestly we dont seem athletic enough to guard a lot of teams man-to-man
2) Because we arent athletic Im not sure why Insell just doesnt go big and utilize our size.
3)Coach talks about making a deep run in the tournament, I think he is going to have to change a few things if he wants that to happen

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see anything in our recruiting class to address our deficiencies. It appears that C-USA is a huge step up from The Belt and our recruiting must improve. We may be good enough to continue our 20 win seasons this year but next year is a big question.

And if Cheyenne Parker can't assume the role I have no idea who will be our "bell cow" next year (and she will be only a one-year stopgap measure). Insell all the way back to his early days in high school has had a "star" system and MT has been lucky to have at least one quality player all the way back to the Smith regime.

With Insell teams, the offense feeds off of the defense. And from what I have seen this may be the worst defensive team he has had at MT. Thus, we are not getting any easy buckets and we are NOT a set up and score type of team. Not only can we not press, we have trouble guarding. UK had open shots all day long. I am just surprised we only lost by 10-12 points. If not for Ebony this is a 30-point blowout.

You guys are crazy. You don't realize the level of athletes you have seen in the Murphy Center. The number 4 and 7 ranked teams in the nation have been our home games. Once we get into the meat of our schedule you will see the ability of this team to shut folks down and score. Kentucky had 7 high school all Americans. I'm sure UT was 10 for 10 high school all Americans. We should win this tourney and be back to .500 ball. Then we get rolling!!!

I dont doubt for 1 minute that this team is going to be good this year, but remember Insell has been talking about sweet 16's and elite 8's since he got hired...its time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT