ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Urzua football career is over

Bummer.

I'd probably make the exact same decision. Don't mess with a brain injury

Head injuries aren't something to mess with...
Nope. They know a lot more about this stuff now than they did in my time. I suffered several concussions. Two years ago, my wife made me go see Dr. Sills and get baseline testing on my memory and cognitive reasoning. He moved his practice from Memphis to Franklin and Vanderbilt but then the NFL stole him from us. He’s a really fine head doctor.

Urzua’s parents made the right recommendation to him.

The way Stock was talking in his feature video, I though Urzua was done. It was eery the way he was talking. We'll see what happens.

Urzua absolutely made the right decision in my opinion. I agree with what most have already said. With all the developments and better understanding of brain injuries/concussions, the approach and decisions are vastly different than 10-20+ years ago. Back then, players would just keep trying to play.

I frequently think that over the next few years football might see more substantial changes to the ways players hit and tackle. It makes me wonder if years down the road if football might look a little more like rugby regarding head contact. It could be argued that the no helmet thing limits some of the head to head collisions football has been famous (or infamous) for years. With no helmets, people are possibly more likely to lead with a shoulder rather than the head. If I'm not mistaken some NFL defensive coaches and head coaches have already started adjusting coaching techniques in tackling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT