at Rice* 45 231
North Texas* 48 203
at UTEP* 47 265
UTSA* 53 425
Southern Miss* 44 97
at Texas A&M 37 111
at Middle Tenn. 29 -1

Reactions: Hop45
After their linemen got ejected they were down 3 starters...be interesting to see who all can play.

We need to play great D to win. Hope Shafer has something new cooked up.

I am assuming the lineman thay got ejected will have to sit out the first half of this week's game.

It was a ejection in the first half, so I believe he'll be back for the full game...

Not sure how the rules are different for fighting/throwing a punch. You guys are referring to the targeting rule. Not necessarily sure the targeting rule and ejection for throwing a punch are the same.

All I know is that the last game means nothing when it comes to this game. The Blue Raiders need to put it all on the line and stay humble. Personally I think they may have been sand bagging a little thinking of this game. I know they had some injuries, but that's a really good reason to lay off, stay rested, and come back full steam for the championship game. Maybe not, but it is possible.

I don't buy any sandbagging in a conference game with a chance for your program's first 10 win season and a chance to host the Conference Championship... We just took it to them.

ejection is an ejection

No it isn't. There is no rule that if you get ejected from a game even in the second half that you will miss the next game with the exception of the targeting rule which is an in-play foul not an after play incident.

Apparently, C-USA makes those decisions on a case-by-case situation. For example...
Conference USA suspended Old Dominion safety Christian Byrum and Western Kentucky running back Anthony Wales for the first half of this week's games due to their roles in a bench-clearing brawl in the Hilltoppers' 59-24 win Saturday night.

So, 1) the punch wasn't "targeting" which initiates the automatic first half of the next game and 2) even if the player was ejected in the second half it doesn't appear the league would have suspended him based on the above.

I don't buy any sandbagging in a conference game with a chance for your program's first 10 win season and a chance to host the Conference Championship... We just took it to them.

I think they did hold Brown out to save him for this game. Not that he's going to surprise MT with anything, but the extra rest will serve him well. He could've gone last week if they needed him. So in that sense, I think they sandbagged a little.

He was in on a play last week for 0 yards. He's not 100% anyway. Why would any team sandbag a game when they could have gone undefeated in conference play and have home field advantage? I'm pretty sure they didn't say in the locker room "let's go out and let them beat us 27-3 so we can surprise them next week." After the game got out of hand in the 4th, they held back some but they were down by a bunch. That just means they didn't pass as much.

Maybe we were just better than them. Maybe they played a cupcake schedule. Maybe the west isn't that good. LaTech got beatdown by WKU for pete sakes and LaTech was supposed to be good. That lineman that got ejected wasn't doing anything against us. We had already sacked AJ a couple times and we were leading. One OL doesn't get a run game off the ground. The dude that went in was bigger than him and still got owned.

I think UAB will play better on Saturday but honestly, we matched up with them really well and Shafer was dialed in. He had them figured out. We'll see how they do in the pouring rain with 17mph winds. It's gonna be terrible weather. It will be about turnovers. Right now, the advantage is ours because of the run D. Their line is going to have to block us in the rain and they are solely a run team. Unless they go all pass, they aren't fielding a new team with a whole new playbook in 5 days. I just don't see it. It won't be easy but it won't be unfamiliar either.

Was their entire defense being held out too? We held out a couple of our guys but that was decided after halftime. If the game was going the other way, they would have played. There is a bit of cat and mouse on UAB's part I'm sure but all mouse? No. They played us straight up and we didn't empty the tank either.

Last edited:
I think they did hold Brown out to save him for this game. Not that he's going to surprise MT with anything, but the extra rest will serve him well. He could've gone last week if they needed him. So in that sense, I think they sandbagged a little.

They sandbagged a lot, been a UAB the last couple of weeks. They weren't really worried about last week as they had already clinched a spot, now as they said this week is for real as it is for all the marbles. They were initially game planning to play FIU this week. You will see a different game plan this week.

They sandbagged a lot, been a UAB the last couple of weeks. They weren't really worried about last week as they had already clinched a spot, now as they said this week is for real as it is for all the marbles. They were initially game planning to play FIU this week. You will see a different game plan this week.
That's BS. They were injured but they had a ton to play for. Home field advantage is huge. Belive me they wanted this game.

In response to mtfblue...

So you have a chance at 10 wins, undefeated in conference, maybe a slim chance of getting that top 25 spot back and home field advantage and you're telling me they mailed it in? B.S. Bro, they had -1 yards of rushing. That's not sand bagging, that's getting owned. If they did do that, they don't deserve the championship and they might as well stay home because they will get clocked again. 9-3 Teams don't take plays off and sandbag on this level. If so, why did AJ and the team look so dejected? I was there and saw them. They were beat down. Are they actors now? Come on.

That's BS. They were injured but they had a ton to play for. Home field advantage is huge. Belive me they wanted this game.

Just telling you what was told to me by some on the staff. At the time they would've had home field advantage if FIU would've won. So i guess their thought process was different the day before thanksgiving.

Gotta call BS. They knew the results of the MU/FIU game the same time our team did. Real champions leave no doubt ever. No coach in his right mind would say, let's go out and lose because this game doesn't matter. No coach in CFB would settle for negative yardage on the ground. The players looked dejected. Why would they look that way if they were told everything is cool. It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Gotta call BS. They knew the results of the MU/FIU game the same time our team did. Real champions leave no doubt ever. No coach in his right mind would say, let's go out and lose because this game doesn't matter. No coach in CFB would settle for negative yardage on the ground. The players looked dejected. Why would they look that way if they were told everything is cool. It doesn't make sense.

This was before game day, they didn't think Marshall would beat FIU. 5 coaches said, yes we are playing FIU next week for the title, and we will be hosting. What happened on Saturday, is what it is.

Then they gonna get spanked again because real champs leave no doubt. I'm still not buying it. You don't ever tell your team to lose. I would be pissed off if my coaches held me out to lose. You lose a team that way.

Those db's that lost their shoes trying to tackle Dobson weren't sandbagging, they got owned. Those guards didn't take plays off trying to push Brooks off, they got owned. -1 yards running ain't sandbagging, it's called being dominated. I was right behind the bench for a while I saw those players, they didn't look refreshed or like they were relaxing for next week. They looked like they were beat to hell.

Their air attack will suffer even more trying to throw in heavy rain and 17-25mph winds. Mobley will run over them. The matchup is simply in our favor on this one. Also, look at our game film. What did we run that was compex? We ran tight formations most of the game. There were no tricks. We ran sweeps and off tackles most of the game. Our pass plays were straight drops. No gadget plays. We've been running sweeps for the last 6 games. We took more chances offensively vs. UK than we did vs. UAB. We beat them down with a simplified offense. We will open the playbook up ourselves if the weather lets us. There's a double edge to this blade. We obviously can beat them. I ain't worried about Johnston because that's who is playing. He can throw but he's gonna have to throw in the worst game weather of the season. Good luck to him and he's gonna need time to make that happen. Brooks and DQ will continue to bring pressure. They can't double up on both of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
Just telling you what was told to me by some on the staff. At the time they would've had home field advantage if FIU would've won. So i guess their thought process was different the day before thanksgiving.
They controlled their own destiny. You don't hope another team wins so you would have home field advantage.

I just don't think you'd sandbag to go play on the road against a team (us) who hasn't lost at home this year.

I just don't think you'd sandbag to go play on the road against a team (us) who hasn't lost at home this year.

Agreed 100%. Injuries may have limited what they could do or try, but you play to win the game. I expect them to be better Saturday, but I think they did the best they could with the players they had.

By kickoff, we both knew we both knew we were in the championship game, so we had equal motivation.

Yeah, they announced it over the PA in the 1st quarter that Marshall had won.

"Alright, pack it in boys! We're playing MT again next week. No need to risk getting anyone else hurt or showing too much just to get homefield" said coach EVER say in that situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT