ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Titans putting the squeeze on Kevin Byard?

I’m for getting as much money as he can but I think he is over paid. It’s not his fault I just don’t think his position should be paid that much.

I've put my tin-foil hat on for 24 hours & this is I THINK is happening...

1) The team "leaked" this so they could prepare / gauge fan-base reaction to a major move (like letting KB31 walk).

Or

2) Kevin's team leaked it to show the Titans brass how insane it would be to cut KB31.

All offseason, there have been rumors that the team is preparing to move on from Henry, Tannehill, Simmons, and / or KB. Quite frankly, that's not the best look for the new GM.

All offseason, there have been rumors that the team is preparing to move on from Henry, Tannehill, Simmons, and / or KB. Quite frankly, that's not the best look for the new GM.
If a new GM cuts all of the highest-paid players to begin a rebuild, he will likely be given a longer leash than a GM who attempts to add to the roster he inherited.

Reactions: ewglenn
If a new GM cuts all of the highest-paid players to begin a rebuild, he will likely be given a longer leash than a GM who attempts to add to the roster he inherited.
Maybe.

But Titans don’t need a complete rebuild. Reset, yes. But not a complete rebuild.

But cutting the veteran core gets rid of the very leadership you need during rebuild.

I agree with the long leash scenario, & let's say the story is true. One apparent benefit Carthon has is Amy & Vrabel would be aware of the situation & would have to share in the decision. Even if it blew up & was a disaster I suppose it all couldn't be placed totally on Carthon then. As opposed to the AJ Brown fiasco. That was the bell cow that got JRob terminated, & apparently without Amy's backing or knowledge. If this was true & it did happen, Carthon would probably still get the most blame from fans & media. Would be an incredibly gutsy move on his part. but if I was Carthon I would hate to start my GM tenure as one of the nation's most despised football GM's by my own fanbase. Byard is way too beloved to be picked on at this time.

I heard the "good place" interview on Blaine & Mickey 104.5 earlier. After listening to Byard's comments Mickey asked Blaine if it's over. I respected Blaine's smart answer. He said, in his opinion it's not over. When a team asks you to take a pay cut, 1 of 2 things happen. Either you take a pay cut, or you get released.
Can't remember the rest of his comments. Somethings along the line he may be ok this year, but don't be surprised he'll be gone next year. In other words, probably just a matter of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT