ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Thoughts on the team so far? ***Discussion Thread***

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Figured we'd have an open discussion. Thoughts so far?

Let's look at the opponents so far...

Brescia (2-5)
@ Murray State: L. 41-95
@ Lee. L 64-93
@ MT. L. 59-98
@ Health and Science of St. Louis. W. 86-71
Indiana Kokomo. L. 58-68
@ Campbellsville. L. 82-91
Indiana Southeast. W. 74-66

Bethune Cookman (1-4)
@USF..L. 54-75
@MTSU. Loss. 51-71
@ Utah. Loss. 55-86
Bryant. W. 81-75
Air Force. L. 65-73

Winthrop (2-3)
Mary Baldwin. W. 110-78
Mercer. W. 88-85
@ MT. L. 65-76
@ Vandy. 63-77
@ Washington State. L. 86-92

Stephen F. Austin (3-1)
LSU Alexandria. W. 82-73
Mary Hardin Baylor. W. 76-63
South Dakota State. L. 71-83
MTSU. W. 87-74

Rider (2-4)
@ Duquesne. L. 61-73
Coppin State. W. 81-69
Delaware State. W. 63-53
@ Bucknell. L. 74-81
@ Buffalo. L. 65-87
MTSU. Loss. 54-60

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiders_55
What is there to really discuss? Still seems way too early by any account to draw any reasonable conclusions.. I don’t think anyone here was thinking these teams were world beaters..

The focus doesn't have to be oriented around the schedule...Thought I'd provide that. More so, just a good discussion of thoughts so far...

Reactions: kingaling42
Considering they're down two probable starters (reportedly out for the season) before the season began I think it is somewhat positive that they're where they are at this point. As bad as they have been the last three seasons, it will be hard not to be improved over what they have been. That still could be not very good at the end of the season.

Reactions: mtfblue
Agreed Matt. Our only loss is to SFA who looks to be beating Buffalo right now.

Im cautiously optimistic.

We will know a lot more tomorrow when we face Mercer, who is not a world beater, but a program who is close to where we are in expectations.

Last edited:
I think we are definitely better and a deep team. That is promising since we are down two starters/major contributors. Kind of makes me wonder how good we would be if healthy. Doesn’t seem like Nick can catch a break, but it looks like we have the depth to overcome some injuries. We have not had that the past few seasons.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Still too early to respond but it is concerning that excuses are already dropping. Every school/program has issues (i.e. injuries, COVID testing, etc.) that come up. We’ll see. There are 3 years of history still burned into my brain.

Still too early to respond but it is concerning that excuses are already dropping. Every school/program has issues (i.e. injuries, COVID testing, etc.) that come up. We’ll see. There are 3 years of history still burned into my brain.
I am not sure where you are seeing "excuses dropping". A true assessment of this team has to include the fact that they are down two starter level players for the season before the season began. That is important to point out because in previous years we would not have the depth to overcome that. This year it appears we do and that is a good sign. All teams do have injuries, but I would say there are not many teams that are down two starters/top contributors for the season before the first game. Also on this trip down a third player in Millin. I do not know how anyone can read the comments and see excuses. No reason for excuses right now.

Acknowledging key injuries is simply facts.. I don't recall anyone here saying that we beat SFA if Coleman-Jones and Jordan were playing as an example.. the team has responded and moved forward without those guys on the court.

Noticeable improvements so far:
1. Depth: deeper rotation, especially in the backcourt with interchangeable guys but more importantly there is little drop-off when reserves are rotating in. Yesterday 43% of the total points were off the bench. The minutes are getting spread out and that's kind of thing that can pay dividends late in games and in back-back games like tourney play..
2. Athleticism: the increase in athleticism is obvious- yesterday the MT social media folks posted 4 videos of dunks that occurred in halfcourt sets- these weren't fastbreak dunks that were wide open these were off of offensive rebounds, extra passes to cutting players, or out of good offensive execution- anyone recall those types of plays last year, more less 4 in just 1 game? I don't recall seeing it that often so it speaks to a number of positives but mostly to the player's athletic abilities and their confidence..
3. Chemistry: while the TO's are still too high most have been out of poor ball handling and not just chucking it out of bounds because a player zigged when the passer thought they were gonna zag. We've seen backdoor cuts for layups, extra passes, defensive recoveries, etc. You also see the chemistry with the deep rotations CNM is playing- the lack of drop-off with scoring and defense shows that these guys are comfortable with each other..
4. Defense: the team defensive improvement is noticeable so far- steals/TO's result in points more often than not.. but more than that, guys are more consistently in position and they're not giving up layups left & right.. one on one post defense is a weak spot against skilled BIGs but overall no other glaring weaknesses.. scoring the ball consistently has allowed for multiple, switching defensive schemes as well.

Improvement Areas:
1. Ball Control- too many TO's, usually double digits by 2 (different) guys alone each game- yesterday it was the experienced guys in Dish & Sims, SFA it was the young guns in Weston & Lenard. Gotta correct that & play under control..
2. Shot selection- this isn't a great shooting team, especially in isolation situations- the percentages will improve if they take better shots (under control, on balance & out of the offensive flow, etc) but there seems to be a ceiling to how good this team will ever be- would love to be wrong there..
3. Limited post production- need more consistent post production to open things up more in the halfcourt offense. Team scores in the paint just fine but it's mostly on cuts, drives, offensive rebound/putbacks- not so much one on one in the post. Dish needs some help down there and he's inconsistent with his assertiveness (hence the high TO games)
4. Consistent offensive execution- still too many possessions where guys are playing hero ball- quick shots, drives out of control with help side defense in position- haven't seen huge scoring droughts but when other teams go on a run MT doesn't help themselves by trying to individually do too much.. still some young guys and I expect some of that but they need a sharp learning curve if they're going to keep winning games..

Last edited:
McDevitt won 22, 23 and 21 games his final 3 seasons at UNC-A

He has won 11, 8 and 5 games in his first 3 seasons at MT.

Such an unbelievably pathetic record smells intentional.

McDevitt won 22, 23 and 21 games his final 3 seasons at UNC-A

He has won 11, 8 and 5 games in his first 3 seasons at MT.

Such an unbelievably pathetic record smells intentional.
200.gif

... as it pertains to intentional

Reactions: Danielhammaker
Mcdevitt was sent here to destroy us? Hmmmm very interesting opinion.

By whom? western Kentucky fans? Tbr? M&m?

Too many rabbit holes. tell us more Lynn!

Mcdevitt was sent here to destroy us? Hmmmm very interesting opinion.

By whom? western Kentucky fans? Tbr? M&m?

Too many rabbit holes. tell us more Lynn!
7 wood doesn't want a winning MBB team so he pays McDevitt (over double his salary at UNC-A) to come in and collect a paycheck. I don't think he is doing much coaching.

How do you "coach" a team to 5 wins in a season? That's what I want to know.

Last edited:
Acknowledging key injuries is simply facts.. I don't recall anyone here saying that we beat SFA if Coleman-Jones and Jordan were playing as an example.. the team has responded and moved forward without those guys on the court.

Noticeable improvements so far:
1. Depth: deeper rotation, especially in the backcourt with interchangeable guys but more importantly there is little drop-off when reserves are rotating in. Yesterday 43% of the total points were off the bench. The minutes are getting spread out and that's kind of thing that can pay dividends late in games and in back-back games like tourney play..
2. Athleticism: the increase in athleticism is obvious- yesterday the MT social media folks posted 4 videos of dunks that occurred in halfcourt sets- these weren't fastbreak dunks that were wide open these were off of offensive rebounds, extra passes to cutting players, or out of good offensive execution- anyone recall those types of plays last year, more less 4 in just 1 game? I don't recall seeing it that often so it speaks to a number of positives but mostly to the player's athletic abilities and their confidence..
3. Chemistry: while the TO's are still too high most have been out of poor ball handling and not just chucking it out of bounds because a player zigged when the passer thought they were gonna zag. We've seen backdoor cuts for layups, extra passes, defensive recoveries, etc. You also see the chemistry with the deep rotations CNM is playing- the lack of drop-off with scoring and defense shows that these guys are comfortable with each other..
4. Defense: the team defensive improvement is noticeable so far- steals/TO's result in points more often than not.. but more than that, guys are more consistently in position and they're not giving up layups left & right.. one on one post defense is a weak spot against skilled BIGs but overall no other glaring weaknesses.. scoring the ball consistently has allowed for multiple, switching defensive schemes as well.

Improvement Areas:
1. Ball Control- too many TO's, usually double digits by 2 (different) guys alone each game- yesterday it was the experienced guys in Dish & Sims, SFA it was the young guns in Weston & Lenard. Gotta correct that & play under control..
2. Shot selection- this isn't a great shooting team, especially in isolation situations- the percentages will improve if they take better shots (under control, on balance & out of the offensive flow, etc) but there seems to be a ceiling to how good this team will ever be- would love to be wrong there..
3. Limited post production- need more consistent post production to open things up more in the halfcourt offense. Team scores in the paint just fine but it's mostly on cuts, drives, offensive rebound/putbacks- not so much one on one in the post. Dish needs some help down there and he's inconsistent with his assertiveness (hence the high TO games)
4. Consistent offensive execution- still too many possessions where guys are playing hero ball- quick shots, drives out of control with help side defense in position- haven't seen huge scoring droughts but when other teams go on a run MT doesn't help themselves by trying to individually do too much.. still some young guys and I expect some of that but they need a sharp learning curve if they're going to keep winning games..

agree with all of this. At our level I always believe you have to have great and/or elite defense to win championships. This is college ball and so many games teams play end up with most teams not being able to make a shot. You have to have great defense on those nights your shots are not falling or you won’t go far

so I’m really happy about finally having defense. It does concern me SFA was able to score so many points on us as they are the only “good” team I believe we have faced. I suppose Winthrop was pretty good, but that remains to be seen. Could be a down year for them.

This Mercer game I believe will tell us a lot about this team. They are very respectable and can put the ball in the basket. Can we slow them down ?

moving forward, we have got to figure out the offensive end. I feel like we lack a pure 3 point shooter on this team now that jalen is out which is very concerning. If we had a few good shooters on this team we really could push for 20 wins with the cupcake schedule we have. Weston and Jefferson will have to be those guys that step up for us from 3. And we need our forwards to dominate down in the paint. Would love to see some inside-outside action going at some point.

I do believe that so far in his tenure McD's teams get worse as the season progresses. I still have zero expectations.

7 wood doesn't want a winning MBB team so he pays McDevitt (over double his salary at UNC-A) to come in and collect a paycheck. I don't think he is doing much coaching.

How do you "coach" a team to 5 wins in a season? That's what I want to know.
images

How do you "coach" a team to 11, 8 and 5 wins a season and still have a job?

Why were MBB and FB games taken off of WMOT 89.5 after decades on the air?

Why is stuckstill working on 3 consecutive losing seasons in his 16th year?

Why does MT have a Meharry fast-track program instead of a law school?

Why wasn't mcphee fired for sexual harassment?

Why wasn't mcphee fired for crawling into bed with the chicoms?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueBrad
How do you "coach" a team to 11, 8 and 5 wins a season and still have a job?

Why were MBB and FB taken off of 89.5 after decades?

Why is stuckstill working on 3 consecutive losing seasons in his 16th year?

Why does MT have a Meharry fast-track program instead of a law school?

Why wasn't mcphee fired for sexual harassment?

Why wasn't mcphee fired for crawling into bed with the chicoms?
Talk about hijacking a thread..... some of y'all must be a blast over the holidays 🙄

Talk about hijacking a thread..... some of y'all must be a blast over the holidays 🙄
This is one of the few places I talk about the school... I want answers to questions nobody will answer.

It doesn't mean much, but I appreciate your participation in the forum and I'd love to see McDevitt turn the ship around and have the kind of success that Kermit had.

Reactions: kingaling42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT