ADVERTISEMENT

State of Athletics

I think a big difference between what CUSA did and what the AAC is doing is the expectations they have for those programs. They’ve set strict requirements for how much the athletics budget needs to be and are requiring certain expectations for facilities for the two big money programs. Charlotte football is going to feel a lot different with their stadium expansion. UTSA and FAU MBB will feel way different with a new arena. Also giving a lower distribution for the first 8 years or so staggers the transition to give their more established brands a competitive advantage. I would take the AAC in a heartbeat.

I think a big difference between what CUSA did and what the AAC is doing is the expectations they have for those programs. They’ve set strict requirements for how much the athletics budget needs to be and are requiring certain expectations for facilities for the two big money programs. Charlotte football is going to feel a lot different with their stadium expansion. UTSA and FAU MBB will feel way different with a new arena. Also giving a lower distribution for the first 8 years or so staggers the transition to give their more established brands a competitive advantage. I would take the AAC in a heartbeat.
No one is gonna watch them so it's a moot point. The markets are bullsh!t. Those markets are effective for P5 programs, not struggling G5's. After Cinci, Houston and UCF bolts, the perception of that league is gonna dip by a lot. Memphis will be begging to get out of there. They are the only other program that would be remotely attractive to the big12. The carousel is stopping very soon. We may end up wishing we went to the MAC when it;s all over with.

Reactions: MT Glenn
The carousel is stopping very soon. We may end up wishing we went to the MAC when it;s all over with.
MT will almost certainly end up in a regionally appropriate league because there will be enough programs left out of the power conferences.

I'm curious about the tax implications that may occur soon.

With each passing day I want to see it all burn. I hope it all dies. Nobody wanted another professional league. We have plenty of them.

College athletics was unique and championed by it's amatuerism, which no longer exists.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
More like truth telling. The AAC will be nothing more than CUSA on repeat.

Repeat or not, I just want us somewhere stable. Which honestly is any G5 except CUSA. That's the only reason I was pushing for MAC is the stability. Tired of being left behind and in the bottom conference. Honestly now that AAC is CUSAv2.0, it, SBC, and MAC are all about equal perception wise and probably new TV money wise in my book.

We truly belong in the SBC but that is a whole other discussion. This is all moot though if we don't get to moving dirt and winning asap.

Interesting on Kyle Whittingham's new contract.

Provision requiring facility upgrades by a deadline or the school has to pay him more.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
There’s a lot of the sky falling in this fan base 😂
Honestly, that's one of the biggest challenges the new folks in BRAA must overcome.

A LOT of die-hards are burned out. They're tired of giving - and giving - and giving only to watch as the MBB struggled early under McD and Stock's tenure hasn't produced a single championship (co-champs don't count).

Honestly, that's one of the biggest challenges the new folks in BRAA must overcome.

A LOT of die-hards are burned out. They're tired of giving - and giving - and giving only to watch as the MBB struggled early under McD and Stock's tenure hasn't produced a single championship (co-champs don't count).
I don't even think the struggles are the worst part. The biggest issue for me is that the folks running the show don't even appear to be trying to make things better. At times, it feels like McP, CM, and others don't even care. It is their job to care, so if it appears they don't, then why should I? Aside from 2-3 classes, i didn't even "attend" MT, yet I am still here. Ever the eternal optimist, I'm still waiting for football to reach the potential so many of us saw years ago.

I don't even think the struggles are the worst part. The biggest issue for me is that the folks running the show don't even appear to be trying to make things better. At times, it feels like McP, CM, and others don't even care. It is their job to care, so if it appears they don't, then why should I? Aside from 2-3 classes, i didn't even "attend" MT, yet I am still here. Ever the eternal optimist, I'm still waiting for football to reach the potential so many of us saw years ago.
That's a fair criticism, IMO.

I've had some extended conversations with Massaro over the years. I know he wants to win. It kills him to see MT not winning championships. But he's also a bit more "introverted" (IMO), analytical, and probably a bit more patient than some of his fellow AD peers.

I am not sold on McPhee. McPhee is an academic who, IMO, doesn't get the importance of engagement / outreach oriented departments of the institution (compare with Carver at UT-Martin).

The facility upgrades that MT has built have (largely) been either : 1) driven by the coach or 2) necessary because existing facilities were torn down or need significant overhauls. I know Stock & Co. knew they needed facility upgrades years ago. I remember hearing recruits talk about indoor facility when I first started writing for rivals 10-12 years ago. And, to be fair, Stock probably should have pushed harder to have it built, but as a HC/leader, you pick your battles.

And some of this does fall at the hands of the boosters - especially the high level, high money boosters - that seem to support non-revenue / low-revenue sports more than the revenue producing sports like football.

Repeat or not, I just want us somewhere stable. Which honestly is any G5 except CUSA. That's the only reason I was pushing for MAC is the stability. Tired of being left behind and in the bottom conference. Honestly now that AAC is CUSAv2.0, it, SBC, and MAC are all about equal perception wise and probably new TV money wise in my book.

We truly belong in the SBC but that is a whole other discussion. This is all moot though if we don't get to moving dirt and winning asap.
I have no desire to ever play FAU, UNT, ODU, Rice, USM, UTSA or Charlotte ever again. Those teams did nothing for us or the conference except drag us down. Marshall and UAB are the only teams I regret leaving. All of those other teams should have never been in CUSA. I was pro MAC because of the stability and their commish gives a sh!t. I like the week night games on ESPN because playing at the exact same time UT, Bama and UGA plays is just stupid. No one is gonna come watch us play when they are on TV. We've tried that for 9 years now. When the SBC did it during the week, we had far better attendance and other people saw us play. Once we went to facebook, Saudi Arabia, and Stadium on Saturdays, our attendance and interest dropped off the map. This ain't rocket science. Stop trying to compete with the SEC and start becoming available to SEC fans in the area when their team isn't playing. Invite them in instead of forcing the choice. This is why I was pro MAC. Their commish figured that out long ago. It helped teams like Western Michigan and Northern Illinois.

I have no desire to ever play FAU, UNT, ODU, Rice, USM, UTSA or Charlotte ever again. Those teams did nothing for us or the conference except drag us down. Marshall and UAB are the only teams I regret leaving. All of those other teams should have never been in CUSA. I was pro MAC because of the stability and their commish gives a sh!t. I like the week night games on ESPN because playing at the exact same time UT, Bama and UGA plays is just stupid. No one is gonna come watch us play when they are on TV. We've tried that for 9 years now. When the SBC did it during the week, we had far better attendance and other people saw us play. Once we went to facebook, Saudi Arabia, and Stadium on Saturdays, our attendance and interest dropped off the map. This ain't rocket science. Stop trying to compete with the SEC and start becoming available to SEC fans in the area when their team isn't playing. Invite them in instead of forcing the choice. This is why I was pro MAC. Their commish figured that out long ago. It helped teams like Western Michigan and Northern Illinois.
FAU, UNT, ODU, Rice, USM, UTSA and Charlotte have left us in the dust and it speaks volumes about their leadership. They were targeted and wanted by their new conferences. Rice and So. Miss have long D-1 histories and will recover from recent struggles. If not for a doink kick last year Rice beats us. UNT has a rock star AD who “gets it”. It is inexcusable that we were passed over for and have been beaten by the other 4. Inexcusable.

Again, nobody wanted us and poor WKU is collateral damage. On another note, has anyone seen or heard anything about the exit fee “windfall” we’re supposedly getting from this bunch?? 😂😂

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Charlotte didn't even have a team when Stock started. They approved it in 2008, built the stadium, started FCS in 2013, in CUSA by 2015, and now they have moved ahead of us in the conference race.

UNT built a new stadium in 2011, since Stock has been here.

Marshall built an IPF.

UAB quit, restarted, built a new stadium, and WON a championship.

That is what worries me with all this. What we are doing with Build Blue is great, but it only will catch us up. We will still be behind in just a few years, if that, once all phases are completed. We need some serious cash asap.

Exit money anyone?

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
FAU, UNT, ODU, Rice, USM, UTSA and Charlotte have left us in the dust and it speaks volumes about their leadership. They were targeted and wanted by their new conferences. Rice and So. Miss have long D-1 histories and will recover from recent struggles. If not for a doink kick last year Rice beats us. UNT has a rock star AD who “gets it”. It is inexcusable that we were passed over for and have been beaten by the other 4. Inexcusable.

Again, nobody wanted us and poor WKU is collateral damage. On another note, has anyone seen or heard anything about the exit fee “windfall” we’re supposedly getting from this bunch?? 😂😂
They haven't left us in the dust. Let's be clear about something else. We didn't get an AAC invite because Memphis cock blocked us. That's what they do. They ain't voting for us ever. Not that I even want to go there anyway but that's the main reason we didn't get the nod. To say we haven't contributed in CUSA is stupid to say and ignorant. We have 31 titles since joining. More than any other program. Like it or not, it's a real stat. I know you just like talking sh!t and pretending to know everything but you've been a Memphis troll from the jump and continue to be. We'll see how the Tigers handle being in the P6 with the likes of top flight programs like Rice, UNT and Charlotte now. LOL. GTFO with that BS.

Those teams leaving are not good pickups with the exception of UAB and maybe UTSA. FAU had 2 good seasons with a crooked coach but all of the others? Nada. You really think the AAC got better with these pickups? LOL. Come on. They suck and that league is gonna suck now. USM and Rice are rebounding? LOL. You just said that. How? They blow chunks. Those teams and the others will plague that conference like they plagued us. No thanks. Let em have it. If we go there, I won't be excited. Memphis will be clawing the walls to get out of that sh!tshow and if Memphis is still there after 2025, I'm gonna laugh so hard at Memphis, ( even more than I do already.)

No matter what you say, the AAC added a bunch of boat anchors that will sink that conference. They should have gone after ULL, Coastal, and App St. Those programs have been ranked mmultiple times in the last 3-4 years. There is no CUSA team that has been invited that could even remotely compete with what those 3 teams has done. To be even more honest, What CUSA team leaving has done what Liberty has done? Liberty beat the dog crap out of UAB. I think we are getting stronger with the turds leaving and with Liberty coming in. Basketball wise, we are getting way better.

Charlotte didn't even have a team when Stock started. They approved it in 2008, built the stadium, started FCS in 2013, in CUSA by 2015, and now they have moved ahead of us in the conference race.

UNT built a new stadium in 2011, since Stock has been here. - They are totally winning. NOT

Marshall built an IPF. - We still beat them on the regular/

UAB quit, restarted, built a new stadium, and WON a championship. - Great story. They are the only program worth a crap going to the AAC.

That is what worries me with all this. What we are doing with Build Blue is great, but it only will catch us up. We will still be behind in just a few years, if that, once all phases are completed. We need some serious cash asap.

Exit money anyone?
"Charlotte didn't even have a team when Stock started. They approved it in 2008, built the stadium, started FCS in 2013, in CUSA by 2015, and now they have moved ahead of us in the conference race." - A. They don't have Memphis voting against them and B, they should never been invited to CUSA in the first place. They did jack squat for us. Not exactly butts in seats material.

"UNT built a new stadium in 2011, since Stock has been here." - They are totally winning. NOT

"Marshall built an IPF." - We still beat them on the regular.

UAB quit, restarted, built a new stadium, and WON a championship. - Great story. They are the only program worth a crap going to the AAC. Collectively, a great program.

Last edited:
They haven't left us in the dust. Let's be clear about something else. We didn't get an AAC invite because Memphis cock blocked us. That's what they do. They ain't voting for us ever. Not that I even want to go there anyway but that's the main reason we didn't get the nod. To say we haven't contributed in CUSA is stupid to say and ignorant. We have 31 titles since joining. More than any other program. Like it or not, it's a real stat. I know you just like talking sh!t and pretending to know everything but you've been a Memphis troll from the jump and continue to be. We'll see how the Tigers handle being in the P6 with the likes of top flight programs like Rice, UNT and Charlotte now. LOL. GTFO with that BS.

Those teams leaving are not good pickups with the exception of UAB and maybe UTSA. FAU had 2 good seasons with a crooked coach but all of the others? Nada. You really think the AAC got better with these pickups? LOL. Come on. They suck and that league is gonna suck now. USM and Rice are rebounding? LOL. You just said that. How? They blow chunks. Those teams and the others will plague that conference like they plagued us. No thanks. Let em have it. If we go there, I won't be excited. Memphis will be clawing the walls to get out of that sh!tshow and if Memphis is still there after 2025, I'm gonna laugh so hard at Memphis, ( even more than I do already.)

No matter what you say, the AAC added a bunch of boat anchors that will sink that conference. They should have gone after ULL, Coastal, and App St. Those programs have been ranked mmultiple times in the last 3-4 years. There is no CUSA team that has been invited that could even remotely compete with what those 3 teams has done. To be even more honest, What CUSA team leaving has done what Liberty has done? Liberty beat the dog crap out of UAB. I think we are getting stronger with the turds leaving and with Liberty coming in. Basketball wise, we are getting way better.
Memphis troll???? 😂
There’s a degree hanging on my wall from MTSU. I want MTSU to have the same facilities that Memphis has but, under the current regime I don’t see it happening anytime soon. As someone noted earlier folks are simply burned out and the program needs new life.

Memphis troll???? 😂
There’s a degree hanging on my wall from MTSU. I want MTSU to have the same facilities that Memphis has but, under the current regime I don’t see it happening anytime soon. As someone noted earlier folks are simply burned out and the program needs new life.
You have been pretty condescending over the years and it's always had a "Memphis is better" tone. We know we need "new life". We are smart enough to figure that one out. If some of us choose to try to support our squad during these difficult times, that's our call to do it.

However, let's not be fooled by the fact that Memphis is gonna block us from ever going to the AAC as long as they are there. They did that while they were in CUSA and will never support being in the same conference as us. I don't care about going to the AAC myself as I think it will be a crapfest in 2 years but that's the reason not all of this market and facility nonsense. As soon as Memphis bolts, we'll get the call. I hope like hell we don't answer the phone but we'll get the call. This is what Massaro was told when the MAC expressed interest which is why he touted staying for now. He's not gonna say "This was a bad move and this new conference is terrible." He's gonna act like all of this was his idea. That is actually his job. I personally don't think having Liberty in our conference is terrible. They are an upgrade over all of these other turds that left. Sam Houston State at least won a NC 2 years ago. Charlotte and ODU got the invite and neither had done jack crap to earn it. Hell, App st. was a dynasty is FCS and has been killing it in the SBC and didn't get a CUSA or AAC invite which is criminal really. None of this re-alignment crap makes any sense and if you really think Rice, UNT, ODU, USM, Charlotte and even UTSA are better coverall ontributors to their conferences than us, I got 2 words for you.

Last edited:
That's a fair criticism, IMO.

I've had some extended conversations with Massaro over the years. I know he wants to win. It kills him to see MT not winning championships. But he's also a bit more "introverted" (IMO), analytical, and probably a bit more patient than some of his fellow AD peers.
I'll also add that Stock is pretty introverted himself. He's great around the players & his guys, but he's not going to energize a fan base. That's fine. That's his personality. Be true to yourself.

But it's probably not wise to have an introverted AD, an introverted HC for FB, & an academic for a president.

That's why the new guys in BRAA are so refreshing to so many. They are extroverts. Lee, Hans, & the rest of the crew are energized by the opportunity to sit down with MT supporters. That's why their hires & work, I believe, will pay dividends over the next few years.

But it's probably not wise to have an introverted AD, an introverted HC for FB, & an academic for a president.
Following McPhee's fight with Boots, we were given Massaro and Stockstill, who are polar opposites of Boots and Andy's personalities.

I've wondered if .500 football is McPhee's way of retaliating at Boots.

Last edited:
Some what related…

How much are schools making from EA's new College Football video game?

According to a 2021 memo, each school's guarantee is determined by their "Tier" — based on AP Top 25 finishes over a 10-year period 📊

Tier 1: $104,900
Tier 2: $62,900
Tier 3: $41,900
Tier 4: $10,400

Which tier will we be? Would any of our peer schools be Tier 3?

Memphis troll???? 😂
At least we own our stadium

Coach Donnelly
‘77, ‘78 APSU: (14-7), (9-4) (1)
‘79-‘98 MTSU: (133-81-1), (93-48) (4)

Five OVC Titles
OMG, I can't even believe that I have to explain this. I thought you had multiple degrees and were smart. I guess not, you played for Memphis.

As an AD, he drove us in the dirt and we were on probation with scholarship losses while being stuck with a .250 record coach that caused all of it. As much as everyone wants to not recognize it, we have accomplished way more positive things with mASSaro than we ever would have with Boots. I'm not defending mASSaro. Just stating fact. Boots about destroyed us. In my mind, that almost negates anything he did as a coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueBrad
OMG, I can't even believe that I have to explain this. I thought you had multiple degrees and were smart. I guess not, you played for Memphis.

As an AD, he drove us in the dirt and we were on probation with scholarship losses while being stuck with a .250 record coach that caused all of it. As much as everyone wants to not recognize it, we have accomplished way more positive things with mASSaro than we ever would have with Boots. I'm not defending mASSaro. Just stating fact. Boots about destroyed us. In my mind, that almost negates anything he did as a coach.
It must be pretty disappointing to the almost 20 years of guys that played for Coach Donnelly who’ve had to endure the past 16 seasons of .500 Stockstill football.
I wonder where M&M will plant a statue of Stockstill?

Last edited:
It must be pretty disappointing to the almost 20 years of guys that played for Coach Donnelly who’ve had to endure the past 16 seasons of .500 Stockstill football.
I wonder where M&M will plant a statue of Stockstill?
It would have been worse if Boots wouldn't have been fired because we wouldn't even be .500 in football. There would be no football. There wouldn't be sh!t. That dude ran us into the dirt. How many conference titles for any sport did we win under boots AS AN AD? There was a shared title in FB in 01. However, he was a nightmare. Great coach but as I said before, his antics at AD pretty much wrecked his legacy here. We had the worst APR in the country with 8 scholarships taken away and on probation. That should have shown us the door. Stock for all of his faults, saved our bacon there.

How many games did you and MTTim go to last year?
Why you ask doesn’t matter and my memory is bad but, for me, the last two that I recall were TSU and Duke in 2019. I think I made the drive once last season for the first half but can’t remember the opponent. Not planning on doing it again this season or any season until things change.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewglenn
However, he was a nightmare. Great coach but as I said before, his antics at AD pretty much wrecked his legacy here.
I think we can all agree that the days of the football HC becoming AD are now obsolete. But I'm going to give credit where credit is due, as AD he did hire the best MBB coach this school has ever had. And, I would put him on the Mt Rushmore of MT coaches with Kermit, Coach Pete, and Coach Hayes.

How many games did you and MTTim go to last year?
I think I have missed one home game in the past 4 years. Before that probably two in 10 years. I also go to at least one away game per season.
Not that it really matters.
This year I may only make the Miami game only to visit the Keys.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Good news for CUSA 4.0 3 of the 4 new additions own their counties with Liberty and NMSU owning multiple counties.

SHSU (64.9%, Texas A&M second 16.7%)
Liberty own multiple (54.8%, VT second 24.7% )
NMSU own multiple (64.5%, NM second 7.6%)
JSU (BAMA 48.4%, JSU 27.1%)
MTSU (UTK 49.9%, MTSU 23.2%)

to be fair, utk has been on every tennessean's radar for a century or more in athletics. MT hasn't been on the D1/FBS level but a couple of decades and quite honestly hasn't done jack-sh** in football to catch even the locals' attention. Maybe it's too late to make a move, but we'll never know because this university rewards mediocrity. MT leaders missed their callings. They all could be running a federal bureaucracy, they are so stinking rotten bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT