ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Somebody correct me if I’m mistaken....

FranklinRaider315

Hall of Famer
Jun 24, 2009
Franklin, TN
But did I read somewhere in here yesterday that the staff was less focused on OOC opponent Army and didn’t rep or seriously prepare for their option attack?

One would think that a nationally televised game when everyone is watching would be reason enough to try and win or at least put forth your best effort.

I understand offensive turnovers are a killer but what was our high dollar DC (Shafer) doing yesterday to earn his $330,000 a year salary?

That was me. More wondering than making a statement.

I do recall, and this was years ago mind you, comments being made by the staff (can’t recall exactly who) leading up to a game with Georgia Tech that they weren’t adjusting their practice time much to prepare for the option. The reason given was that it was a scheme they would only face once, and with practice time being so valuable and limited, they didn’t want to take much away from the standard reps, as that would be a hindrance to the teams long term goals.

This is a huge problem connected to this football program, if true. I distinctly remember comments after a recent loss to VU that: "We still have all our goals before us". Utter BS if growing the program is one of your goals.

IMHO the game yesterday was by far the most important game of the season. I don't have to give you the reasons why. Nor to I have to give you reasons why each game in the recent 4-game series with VU was the most important game in each of those seasons, conference games and bowl eligibility be damned. (I could understand not placing much emphasis on a non-conference game late in the season, especially if in the conference race, but a season opener with so much riding on the outcome???)

Massaro made emphasis of MT being Middle Tennessee and not Mufreesboro Tn St U when he was hired. Yet he, Stock, McPhee and others connected to the program (Last and current BkB coach included) don't come from the area. Living as they do in the bubble from Murphy to Cope they don't realize where MT stands in the pecking order of teams to support or even keep up with.

Murfreesboro has always been considered by many a UT-K town, there is VU support in the county, and the southern part of our service area has a huge Bama contingent. Not only has the arrival of the Titans moved MT down the pecking order but the arrival of so many transplants to the area has brought fans of other teams to the area. I guarantee you if you drive around Rutherford and the seven contiguous counties you will see more support for every $EC team and half the Big 10 than for MT. I know, I count yard signs and vehicle identification all the time. Didn't have to be this way.

Do we even have a plan to increase support and move MT up the pecking order in the sports world? If we do the entire football community would have known, in no uncertain terms, that yesterday's game was the most important game of this season.

Last edited:
I've heard several times Stock say after a loss that "our goals are still in reach" or something yo that effect. Mainly after OoC losses. He has always put focus on conference games. His conference record shows that (in addition to being helped by being in crappy conferences). I don't agree with that mentality at all.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
It seems to me that moving "up" in the college sports world will, unfortunately, mean getting rid of football and trying to put all our eggs in (M/W) basketball as the money-maker...

It seems to me that moving "up" in the college sports world will, unfortunately, mean getting rid of football and trying to put all our eggs in (M/W) basketball as the money-maker...
MTSU should have beaten Austin Peay to the punch in working towards starting a college hockey team, but no vision from the administration

It all starts at the top. If McPhee wanted a great football program then MT would have one. He is content with the state of the program.

His focus is the APR. If the team wins, that's good, but if the team loses, that's okay too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT