ADVERTISEMENT

So, my cousin is looking at UTK and MTSU...

volguy23

Blue Raider
Oct 3, 2014
He is a very intelligent kid who wants to pursue a degree in mass communications..specifically journalism. He has the grades and ACT scores to get in @ both universities. As Junior at MT I would prefer him to end up in the boro. What are some talking points that would be effective when it comes to getting Jake at MTSU..?

Never mind. I read that as Kentucky was recruiting him.

This post was edited on 12/11 12:21 PM by MidTnBlues

This post was edited on 12/11 12:22 PM by MidTnBlues

This post was edited on 12/11 12:32 PM by MidTnBlues

At MTSU, the kid can come and make a name for himself.

At a place like Tennessee, he will just be another guy.

If his ultimate goal is to one day play in the NFL, he will have just as good of a chance at MTSU versus anywhere else. In fact, if he's that good, he will see the field early in his career and probably have a better chance of making an NFL roster. Great players on average teams tend to stand out and get all the attention.

Butch Jones is probably the most overrated college head coach in football. I won't go into details (unless you want me to) but just trust me on that. You're not going to want to be there 2 or 3 years down the road when the fan base is crucifying him for a lack of results and he ends up getting canned. Then you're stuck with a new head coach as you enter your junior and senior year who is likely to play the players he recruits over you. Then nobody will notice you.

Hey Matthew,

I am an Admissions rep (recruiter) here at Middle... I think I can probably help out. Shoot me an email at casey.brown@mtsu.edu.

I went to UTK. Graduated in '01. Then I went to MT, class of '05.

Knoxville is a fun place to go to school. Other than that, there's no reason to go to UTK.

At UTK, you're a student ID # who exists to be bled out of as much money as possible.

At MT, you're treated like an actual human being.

Everything UTK does, MT does better.

Honestly, if you're going for the whole big time college campus-life thing - UTK has got MT beat. If you're there to be a student and get an education and actually land a job after graduation - MT is where you want to go.

Originally posted by sWiley:

If his ultimate goal is to one day play in the NFL, he will have just as good of a chance at MTSU versus anywhere else. In fact, if he's that good, he will see the field early in his career and probably have a better chance of making an NFL roster. Great players on average teams tend to stand out and get all the attention.

Butch Jones is probably the most overrated college head coach in football. I won't go into details (unless you want me to) but just trust me on that. You're not going to want to be there 2 or 3 years down the road when the fan base is crucifying him for a lack of results and he ends up getting canned. Then you're stuck with a new head coach as you enter your junior and senior year who is likely to play the players he recruits over you. Then nobody will notice you.

Lol he's not an athlete..just a kid looking at UT and MT

Originally posted by RaiderDoug:
I went to UTK. Graduated in '01. Then I went to MT, class of '05.

Knoxville is a fun place to go to school. Other than that, there's no reason to go to UTK.

At UTK, you're a student ID # who exists to be bled out of as much money as possible.

At MT, you're treated like an actual human being.

Everything UTK does, MT does better.

Honestly, if you're going for the whole big time college campus-life thing - UTK has got MT beat. If you're there to be a student and get an education and actually land a job after graduation - MT is where you want to go.
Yeah, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at MTSU. The thing is i went to a HS where most students when on to attend UT and looked down on folks who went to MT or UTC..I am a journalism major and I feel like I am getting a real quality education..

Originally posted by MatthewDossett1:

Yeah, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at MTSU. The thing is i went to a HS where most students when on to attend UT and looked down on folks who went to MT or UTC..I am a journalism major and I feel like I am getting a real quality education..
If anyone looks down at MT or UTC, it's simply because they have to make themselves feel better for paying 4x more for the priviledge of being treated like crap, while attending virtually the same classes.

Like I said, I get the appeal of attending big state U with the big football team and the name brand and the party atmosphere.

But I've been to both, and I can't come up with a single thing that UTK did better than MT.

If he goes to UTK, remember this conversation when he complains to you about standing in the line to get into the line to talk to the work-study student manning the financial aid desk who doesn't know anything about why the financial aid was lost while waiting to get into a class taught by a GA that you need to graduate that UTK only has one session of and that he can't get signed into because he can't get an appointment with his advisor until April. But it doesn't matter anyway because he's gotten 7 parking tickets at $35 each because UTK sells you a parking pass for $220 and then sells more passes than there are spaces so that it's actually physically impossible for you at times to get a legal parking space. Cha-Ching!

And oh yeah, he owes another $7k which was racked up while he was explaining this.
This post was edited on 12/11 3:56 PM by RaiderDoug

Originally posted by cbow0328:
Not gonna lie this made me laugh out loud in the middle of my office, Doug.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
It's all true.

UTK seemed to go out of its way to make it harder on students. And i've never run into so many people who took the attitude of "I just don't give a ****" than at UTK.

MT was like fresh air and sunshine to a guy who's spent a year trapped in a coal mine.

Wiley - do expand on your butch comments. Other than getting in Brian Kelly's leftover players why is he so bad?

Originally posted by Sommy:
Wiley - do expand on your butch comments. Other than getting in Brian Kelly's leftover players why is he so bad?
I see you've read my previous criticism's of him. I basically just don't feel like he ever proved himself enough to truly deserve the jobs he has gotten, particularly the Tennessee job. He's done nothing but ride Kelly's coattail. He's never built a program that's been in the dumps. Instead he's been hired by CMU and Cincy and put in situations where all he had to do was not F it up. You or I could have probably managed those programs at that point to be brutally honest. Brian Kelly left a gold mine at both CMU and Cincy.

I still remember when he was being considered for the Central Michigan job after Brian Kelly left and somehow got it and took his players and won. He had a good overall record at CMU but I feel like he could've done more with the players he inherited. It's hard not to fvck it up when you've got Dan LeFevour as your QB (I know you guys remember this kid) in his prime. We played against him when he was a freshmen and the kid only got better. When he was hired at CMU he was basically put into a "Don't F it up" position. Most new coaches that are hired inherit a mess, Butch Jones was hired and had the best team in the league. He basically left the entire staff in place that Kelly didn't take...So I guess good job to him for not F'ing it up? Kelly's the one who came in there and turned a TERRIBLE program around. Winning 4, 6, and then 9 games including the bowl win over Mid Tenn St. He recruited all those studs that Butch went and won with.

I certainly didn't think he had proven himself enough to get the Cincinatti job, but many coaches have been hired into BCS-level schools who weren't entirely deserving and sometimes it paid off, sometimes it didn't. So once again Butch replaced Brian Kelly, this time at Cincy. At Cincinatti, he had one bad year and two decent years (4 wins, 10 wins, 9 wins). He was 23-14 at Cincy. Considering the conference was very top heavy at the time, I feel like he could have done better there as well. It was another situation for Butch Jones had to just avoid screwing up a good thing. Brian Kelly went 34-6 while at Cincinatti before being hired away. That's what I call proving oneself and being worthy of a high level multi-million dollar deal. I would have liked to see him stay another year or two at Cincy before being hired away but Tennessee didn't want to wait. Of course he wasn't UTK's first choice (understandably so considering he's unqualified) and was more like 3rd, 4th, and possibly 5th on down the line.

In the end, anything was better than Derek Dooley, but they could have done so much better. In addition to not earning the CMU and Cincy jobs, he sure as F has not earned his contract extensions and buyouts at Tennessee. He's 11-13 since being there.....Why in god's name are their fans so obsessed over a mediocre coach? Because he has passion?? Millions of dollars worth of passion? They just gave a coach with a losing record, 11-13 in two years, a huge extension while a decade earlier they fired Phillip Fulmer who had been there 18 years, won a national title, and was far better in his final two seasons than any other coach they've fired (15-11). Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Butch Jones was a great hire for UTK if you're a Middle fan and only care about Middle, but good lord I ALMOST feel sorry for the UTK fans after the constant hiring of failures.

ps. What's with all these mediocre coaches getting crazy extensions and contracts?

I don't think Butch Jones is a great gameday or X's and O's coach.

But the man recruits like a fiend. It won't be long until the Vols are just out-talenting the competition. That will win you a lot of games in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT