ADVERTISEMENT

realignment not over

Almost forgot: Everyone else living in this world will likely continue to jockey for position in the 2nd tier of conferences fighting for the crumbs leftover from the P2.

I'm not against fighting for your best position, but a little strategic cooperation and planning amongst the rest might have helped at least a little in negotiations to try to get a few larger crumbs.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Do these conferences and member schools have no shame ? Do they have any regard for their fellow members that they are leaving up shit creek without a paddle ?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What an awful message to send. They talk about college sports being a team game, a unifying and life enriching experience for the athletes that will hopefully set them up for a great life.

Yet, here we have the top blue blood programs worried about me, myself, and I. All for a quick buck and to F over the next guy. It's great to see America's top educational institutions leading by example. Unbelievable. No wonder America has the #1 divorce rate in the world (and it continues to climb). Zero loyalty or regard for others existence in society anymore.

And nobody seems to bat an eye.....

Carry on.

Last edited:
Greed. Plain and simple. It's ruined society along with social media. (And no not everything on this list is equal but you get my point)

College sports
Youth sports
Church leadership
Politics
Healthcare
Even news

Everything goes to the highest bidder. Whoever has the most $ rules over everyone else. No equal say anymore and no discourse anymore. It's me me me and if they don't get their way, to Twitter or FB calling names they go. Like said above, everyone else be da×ned

I love the rumors of alignment and figuring it all out, but I hate what it has done to the sport I love. Every game used to matter, unlike the NFL. Conference battles. Regional rivalries. All that is lost so they can force Ohio State vs Alabama constantly. So on rivalry week WVU can play Iowa State instead of Pitt who plays Sarycuse. And its killed the fan bases for smaller schools like ours too. Yes our administration has blown it, but ESPN and the like are to blame as well.

Is there no governing body over college sports that can look at the Bigger picture with this nonsense?

Is there no governing body over college sports that can look at the Bigger picture with this nonsense?

Yes. Their name is ESPN

Problem is, they are the reason for this madness to begin with and clearly haven’t a care in the world about the ramifications for the other 90% of universities this impacts.

Apparently only the top 10% matter now.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue

I know somewhat sarcastically but still, you make the very valid point.

If the NCAA had done something to football 10, 15, 20 years ago, none of this would be happening. But they controlled basketball and let the conferences control football, but only for D1. They didn't create this mess, but didn't have the kahonas to stop it either. And now after years of it, they receive no respect nor give any real regulation at all.

The NCAA BBall tournaments work, CWS works, DII and DIII FBall playoffs work. It could've worked for D1 but it is WAY too late now.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Just floating this possibility....
Would 3, 24 team, major conferences be a possibility (without championship's)... With 24 teams, it would allow for four, 6 team divisions... If this comes to fruition, there would be 72 teams... Is this number feasible...

Or...

Two 24 or 28 team conferences....

Thoughts please...

Well, I know it's just a sport, but you would think in the overly woke culture wars we have going on today, people would be pushing back even for the sake of defending the student athletes. This is a completely in your face a case of the rich getting MUCH richer and the rest getting pushed to the side. If a vast majority of the resources go to the top 10%, the opportunities for athletes to excel will diminish drastically. If this happened in any other area of today's society, there would be serious blowback.

They really need some guard rails on this, but I don't see who has the power or authority that would actually step up. ESPN just wants another mini-NFL that they control.

Just floating this possibility....
Would 3, 24 team, major conferences be a possibility (without championship's)... With 24 teams, it would allow for four, 6 team divisions... If this comes to fruition, there would be 72 teams... Is this number feasible...

Or...

Two 24 or 28 team conferences....

Thoughts please...

I think when all is said and done, it'll be 4 conferences. The P12, B12, ACC will join up in multiple fashions resulting in one being gone. I think some schools will even wind up in "G5".

It'll be B1G/FOX, SEC/ESPN, and CBS/NBC picking up the rest. (The B12 gives their tier 3 rights to schools so they will be more open).

I dont think myself it will even be 72 teams. I think it'll be less. I don't think all this will settle till after the next round of TV deals, a decade or more, but it'll happen. I should make a list and post it just to see how psycho I am in a few years. Haha.

Thamel suggested the next playoff could be 5 Champs and 7 at large. Which means 1 G5 team which is really honestly pointless. Just make it 4 Champs, 6 at large and be done.

If I were the "G5", I would get together now, and just go ahead and pull away. Create a massive TV package with playoffs and a true champion. You'll have some schools that won't try to move up then. Keep the regional rivalries. They can be a big fish in a little pond instead. But there are some conferences (uhum cough Judy cough) that don't have the foresight to do something like that.

I myself would rather MT be in playoffs and play for a championship than some no name bowl on an island few of us can go to.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Most likely, the NCAA won't take any action. Congress could act, but I don't think they would.

Since all of this is football driven, I wonder if conferences will get rid of their dead weight (Vandy).

Thing is Vandy is one of the founding members and a major help with academics.

I bet Tulane and GT are wishing they could go back in time.

If G5's and FCS had balls they would form a boycott from playing the P2 in any sport. Let em drown on their own. The bottom teams would never have a chance at a winning season again. In any sport. Book deals with the ACC, and Big12 maybe but screw the other 2. That would cause a stir.

If G5's and FCS had balls they would form a boycott from playing the P2 in any sport. Let em drown on their own. The bottom teams would never have a chance at a winning season again. In any sport. Book deals with the ACC, and Big12 maybe but screw the other 2. That would cause a stir.

I don’t think the SEC or B10 would care in the least. This is pure capitalism and the TV money is going to follow Alabama, Texas, USC Ohio State, etc. wait until these 2 conferences increase the scholarship limit. All the money, NIL money, all the TV and more scholarships….G5 & non- P2 schools will all need money games to survive.

And I disagree about the bottom feeders never having a chance to win in any sport. The last 3 CWS champions have exactly 1 division championship in SEC football between them.

I used to be sad that college football, and college athletics in general, seemed to be a dying trend in society. Numbers have been down across the board for quite a while now, and the younger generation doesn't take as much interest in sports as older generations.

Now, it makes me happy and gives me hope that one day all this greed and corruption will come home to roost and these schools will be forced into regional conferences for survival because nobody watches or cares anymore about their dumbass product.

It's sad and pathetic that more fans from these blue bloods are not pushing back on this. Greed, money, and corruption rule all I suppose.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
That's what is funny. The P2 all wind up with 20 at least. Wouldn't surprise me to be 24 each. That happens, they will split it up in to regional brackets/pods. So all this and it will wind up like it was years ago, just under a bigger umbrella.

Why even have conferences at this point ?

let each school negotiate their own media rights and let each school stand on its own merits and be done with it.

Then you don’t have to worry and cry about revenue sharing with league partners that you perceive to be inferior and change conferences every time you don’t get your way.

whole thing is sickening. I’ve never wanted to see something go up in flames this badly. These greedy, shameless ADs and Presidents rattle me to my core.

let each school negotiate their own media rights and let each school stand on its own merits and be done with it.

Then you don’t have to worry and cry about revenue sharing with league partners that you perceive to be inferior and change conferences every time you don’t get your way.

whole thing is sickening. I’ve never wanted to see something go up in flames this badly. These greedy, shameless ADs and Presidents rattle me to my core.
You may be on to something here. The M&M’s could schedule 12 “buy” games for an average of $750,000 to $1MM per road game. Call them the “Rolling Raiders”. Show the games on the stadium scoreboard for the 2,500 diehards who want to come out, tailgate and sit in Floyd stadium.

Reactions: BRaiderDave

I totllay agree with this! You could keep it all regional too.

I don’t think the SEC or B10 would care in the least. This is pure capitalism and the TV money is going to follow Alabama, Texas, USC Ohio State, etc. wait until these 2 conferences increase the scholarship limit. All the money, NIL money, all the TV and more scholarships….G5 & non- P2 schools will all need money games to survive.

And I disagree about the bottom feeders never having a chance to win in any sport. The last 3 CWS champions have exactly 1 division championship in SEC football between them.
They would care in basketball, baseball, and non football sports. Those non football powers who won in baseball, who did those teams beat to get to the playoffs? A lot of those wins were G5's and FCS which is my point. Put em out on an island of their own. Vandy wouldn't get 1 win in football let alone 6. If football is the cash cow, it would matter. Bama plays FCS and G5's on the regular for theit tune ups. It would matter.

Also, where the hell is the NCAA in all of this? Why not cap the amount of teams in a conference to 16 max? This would cut the madness back a bit.

They would care in basketball, baseball, and non football sports. Those non football powers who won in baseball, who did those teams beat to get to the playoffs? A lot of those wins were G5's and FCS which is my point. Put em out on an island of their own. Vandy wouldn't get 1 win in football let alone 6. If football is the cash cow, it would matter. Bama plays FCS and G5's on the regular for theit tune ups. It would matter.

Also, where the hell is the NCAA in all of this? Why not cap the amount of teams in a conference to 16 max? This would cut the madness back a bit.

Vandy and MSU got in based on winning and finishing 3rd in the conference. Ole Miss got in the tournament by actually cancelling a game vs Arkansas State. A lot of SEC schools will cancel late season games vs lower D1 schools in order to help their chances of hosting/making the tourney. It’s not like football where you pad your win column to get to 6 wins for a bowl game. I don’t think playing an all SEC/Big10 baseball schedule would have hurt Vandy or MSU in the least.

The NCAA is a self-governing body and voluntary organization. The votes are from the presidents/chancellors . The schools in the SEC / B10 are not going to vote to stop themselves. If other schools try to stop them, then the SEC/B10 will just break off and take the money with them. The other D1 schools need the SEC/B10 & the access to money more than those conferences need everyone else.

Texas had this with the longhorn network.

They are willingly giving that up to move to the SEC. Think about what that must mean in terms of how much money they are getting in association with the SEC.

When the money and TV exposure increased at the end of the 80s, it basically made these universities corporations. So the presidents are CEOs, alumni are stockholders and students are the workers. These moves are all what’s in the best interest of the individual corporations.

It also highlights what having a terrible CEO at the top of your corporation results in.

It also highlights what having a terrible CEO at the top of your corporation results in.

There isn't much hope because MT has been strangled by dirty politics for decades.

Because all of these power conference schools are non-profit but generate massive revenues, I don't think their non-profit status will last much longer.

Vandy and MSU got in based on winning and finishing 3rd in the conference. Ole Miss got in the tournament by actually cancelling a game vs Arkansas State. A lot of SEC schools will cancel late season games vs lower D1 schools in order to help their chances of hosting/making the tourney. It’s not like football where you pad your win column to get to 6 wins for a bowl game. I don’t think playing an all SEC/Big10 baseball schedule would have hurt Vandy or MSU in the least.

The NCAA is a self-governing body and voluntary organization. The votes are from the presidents/chancellors . The schools in the SEC / B10 are not going to vote to stop themselves. If other schools try to stop them, then the SEC/B10 will just break off and take the money with them. The other D1 schools need the SEC/B10 & the access to money more than those conferences need everyone else.
No one is gonna do anything about it anyway so it's a moot point. It's just sad that college sports are basically controlled by Disney now.

Watching that video, I got these vibes…
  • this is something us mid majors have known all along before “super conferences”
  • Fans of schools that are not top tier are starting to feel like us mid-majors
  • I care less and less about what is going on
  • Mid majors will be needed less (price per game goes down) if a minor league layer evolves. They will have similar parameters to be crowned a champion as the nfl. No need to schedule cupcakes to put in some fuzzy math.
  • If there is one thing I’ve learned lately … people are sheep and will follow this regardless of what we think of the little guy.

If the reports that just came out about the SEC are true, which is them staying at 16 teams (for now), then that is good news.

PAC may have a few dominos, but SEC not decimating the ACC keeps total chaos from happening.

If the reports that just came out about the SEC are true, which is them staying at 16 teams (for now), then that is good news.

PAC may have a few dominos, but SEC not decimating the ACC keeps total chaos from happening.

Which just means in 2035 the SEC will go to 20 and the ACC will be a shell.

Probably closer to 2030 as it will eventually become the ole final reward outweighs the initial costs thing.

I still think in less than 10 years, at most by the next SEC/B10 media deals, it will just be those two and everyone else.

Schools like Vandy will get the boot. If the SEC can get a Clemson but doesn't have the room, bye bye Vandy. Same for Rutgers and schools like them. If you in the bottom, you gone eventually. This isn't about academics. ESPN and fox doesn't care. It's money and with the NIL, it's even more about money. If ratings drop to where not many folks are watching football like in a generation or 2, the money is gonna run out. What then?

Reactions: MT Glenn
Which just means in 2035 the SEC will go to 20 and the ACC will be a shell.

Probably closer to 2030 as it will eventually become the ole final reward outweighs the initial costs thing.

I still think in less than 10 years, at most by the next SEC/B10 media deals, it will just be those two and everyone else.
This is exactly why it doesn't matter what G5 conference you are in. I would love for FCS and G5's to play ball in the spring. I say screw em. It'll never happen but what do you have to lose at this point? Those networks are dead that time of year and it opens up more interest than competing with Bama and UGA every Saturday.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Schools like Vandy will get the boot. If the SEC can get a Clemson but doesn't have the room, bye bye Vandy. Same for Rutgers and schools like them. If you in the bottom, you gone eventually. This isn't about academics. ESPN and fox doesn't care. It's money and with the NIL, it's even more about money. If ratings drop to where not many folks are watching football like in a generation or 2, the money is gonna run out. What then?
Rutgers goes nowhere, they bring the Big Apple TV market, Vandy goes nowhere as they bring academic balance and every other sport of traditionally good, and also Nashville.

I'm sure the $EC realizes that they don't need the Commode Doors, to capture the Nashville market. They've got it, with or without those losers. What I question is how long will it take for the conference to admit that academics don't matter in the new world of college football.

I'm sure the $EC realizes that they don't need the Commode Doors, to capture the Nashville market. They've got it, with or without those losers. What I question is how long will it take for the conference to admit that academics don't matter in the new world of college football.
Vandy being a founding member, I highly doubt there is a way to remove them since they don't cause any trouble or get put on probation. They will get to eat for free and not produce in football. If that's the case South Carolina, both Miss Schools would be in trouble and Kentucky until recently.

Vandy being a founding member, I highly doubt there is a way to remove them since they don't cause any trouble or get put on probation. They will get to eat for free and not produce in football. If that's the case South Carolina, both Miss Schools would be in trouble and Kentucky until recently.

Agreed. These schools will not be kicked out of the SEC. I guess it’s possible some of the other schools leave at some point in the future and form another conference or group, but I don’t see anyone kicking another school out. They will just leave them behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT