ADVERTISEMENT

Not expecting any big staff changes for 2017, I believe we regress as well

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
After listening to the post game press conference, Rick said the focus is now on recruiting, and that after the recruiting period he will evaluate things "schematically"

That right there tells you he isn't planning on firing anyone any time soon, because if he was going to fire Nix, it would happen sooner rather than later.

Wonderful. We are stuck with this clown.

So the defense will continue to blow next season, and I believe the offense will actually regress with the loss of Mathers and 4 key senior O linemen. Just gonna be another bowl eligible season, 2nd or 3rd in CUSA, and loss in a bowl nobody cares about.

I love being a fan of this team. Would be nice if every single season ticket holder and BRAA member told them to go shove it.

With the hires of Lane Kiffen and Butch Jones at FAU and FIU, the typical finish the year steamrolling a poor team is not going to work going forward.

I think that Rick thinks that he is doing a tremendous job and that this ho hum mediocre season is just the norm of his expectations. Expect a return to the records, 5-7 like we saw in 07 and 08 going forward. It is gonna get ugly.

Reactions: dukewayne
After listening to the post game press conference, Rick said the focus is now on recruiting, and that after the recruiting period he will evaluate things "schematically"

That right there tells you he isn't planning on firing anyone any time soon, because if he was going to fire Nix, it would happen sooner rather than later.

Wonderful. We are stuck with this clown.

So the defense will continue to blow next season, and I believe the offense will actually regress with the loss of Mathers and 4 key senior O linemen. Just gonna be another bowl eligible season, 2nd or 3rd in CUSA, and loss in a bowl nobody cares about.

I love being a fan of this team. Would be nice if every single season ticket holder and BRAA member told them to go shove it.
Schematically could involve some staff changes. Most coaches attach themselves to one specific scheme and stubbornly refuse to adjust based on players, situation, results, etc.

IMO, I don't think Nix goes. It's unfortunate. As the defense has been be terrible under his leadership. Here are the last three years:

2016 : 90th in total defense, 34 ppg (101st in scoring defense)
2015 : 54th in total defense, 25.1 ppg (52nd in scoring defense)
2014 : 107th in total defense, 31.5 ppg (95th in scoring defense)

Defensive line and the secondary need serious improvement. Only 26 sacks (avg of 2 per game), 11 interceptions (less than 1 per game), and 8 fumble recoveries.

This is like watching a redo of the Tommy West era at Memphis only worse.

1) Offense loaded recruiting, heavy in wide receivers and weak line play
2) QB's padding personal stats and breaking more throwing records than getting wins
3) Coach padding won/loss record against weak sister competition
4) Coach touting his "bowl eligible" record
5) Never won a conference championship
6) A weak AD who gave the head coach a near program killing guaranteed contract
7) A weak President who enjoys the bowl trips more than actually winning them

This is beyond comical

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim and MTOleBlue
This is like watching a redo of the Tommy West era at Memphis only worse.

1) Offense loaded recruiting, heavy in wide receivers and weak line play
2) QB's padding personal stats and breaking more throwing records than getting wins
3) Coach padding won/loss record against weak sister competition
4) Coach touting his "bowl eligible" record
5) Never won a conference championship
6) A weak AD who gave the head coach a near program killing guaranteed contract
7) A weak President who enjoys the bowl trips more than actually winning them

This is beyond comical
In fairness to MT staff, the big guys (OL and DL) are the hardest to recruit for a few reasons :
1) The bigger lineman often have offers from "bigger" schools. There are more fast, quick athletes than there are 6'4 310lb guys who can move and play on the next level

2) Because there are less 6'4 310lb guys, you have to project a 6'4 280 pound guy can carry the weight of 310-320 without a downgrade in performance. Some can, some can't.

3) Coaches tend (IMO, no stats to back it up) to recruit the side they know heavier (i.e. Offensive coaches have an offensive heavy roster, defensive coaches have a defensive heavy roster)

Massaro tweeting pictures of hanging out on the beach while asking for fans 4,300 miles back home to buy/donate tickets to help fund his and McPhee's 2nd tropical vacation in two years. Pathetic. There was a time that I actually felt good about donating to Middle Tennessee State University and did it faithfully for nine years after becoming an alum. No more under this regime. This crap just makes me angry.

At some point, you've got to remember that you aren't there to enjoy paradise, you are there to work in paradise. Work first, win later, and enjoy the victory

What MT football suffers from is a lack of culture and tradition. How many Murfreesboro businesses posted on their marquees "Good Luck, Blue Raiders" the week leading up to the bowl game? I only recall saw Bud Morris State Farm Agency on Franklin Road giving moral support. There may be 1-2 more, but didn't see it. It starts at the top and radiates outward. "Our Town, Our Team" sort of faded as bowl season approached. Another bowl loss certainly doesn't help matters. I'm beginning to see our issues more pressing at the AD level not holding the coaching staff fully accountable with championship level play. Eventually the core fan base dwindles, as we are seeing lately. People want winners and its been awhile now (24 years outright in football).

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
With the hires of Lane Kiffen and Butch Jones at FAU and FIU, the typical finish the year steamrolling a poor team is not going to work going forward.

I think that Rick thinks that he is doing a tremendous job and that this ho hum mediocre season is just the norm of his expectations. Expect a return to the records, 5-7 like we saw in 07 and 08 going forward. It is gonna get ugly.

I agree. Coach Stock typically gets 1 win vs a team with a pulse each season. Other wins come vs terrible teams. With other conf teams stepping up investments in their programs, Coach "Bowl Eligible" Stockstill might find it more difficult to live up to his name.

What MT football suffers from is a lack of culture and tradition. How many Murfreesboro businesses posted on their marquees "Good Luck, Blue Raiders" the week leading up to the bowl game? I only recall saw Bud Morris State Farm Agency on Franklin Road giving moral support. There may be 1-2 more, but didn't see it. It starts at the top and radiates outward. "Our Town, Our Team" sort of faded as bowl season approached. Another bowl loss certainly doesn't help matters. I'm beginning to see our issues more pressing at the AD level not holding the coaching staff fully accountable with championship level play. Eventually the core fan base dwindles, as we are seeing lately. People want winners and its been awhile now (24 years outright in football).
I'm of the opinion the MT Athletic Department has serious outreach issues. Part of me wonders if they've spent so much time chasing the Nissan's and Cracker Barrell's, they've burnt bridges with the local businesses (smaller, but more open to supporting a local school)

My perception and that's all it is, at this point, is there a general lack of energy, emanating from the athletic department and the university. When all the major figures have been in place for a decade or more, it's hard not to become complacent or not see a need to change.

Reactions: AustinLewis
Exactly Space. The Big Three (Stock, Massaro, and McPhee) are all basically tenured at this point and appear to just be coasting along & planning their retirements.

As long as Stock doesn't have some disastrous results (multiple 2-4 win seasons), absolutely nothing is going to change. He doesn't even appear to be interested in changing/improving our defense after having one of the worst performances in school history.

And that's all while his son is at QB so you'd think he would be "all in" trying to win as much as possible right now. Imagine how things are going to be when Brent is gone. Nix's defense will rate worst in the FBS and he won't fire him as long as his automatic extension is triggered.

Pathetic.

Reactions: MTTim
Getting wins seems like it will become increasingly more difficult. In the next couple/few years, 2-4 wins might become reality. Fellow conf programs finally look to be trying to raise level of performance in football ( I wish they would in bball as well...) resulting in less easy conf wins towards the end of the season that coach stock has been able to rely on for years.
Now to make up for lack of attendance and support and resultant funds, big money bodybag games are starting to appear more frequently on future ooc schedules.

Improvement will likely be needed to just maintain the same level of success. A lot of improvement to get moderate improvement in the W-L total over the next few years. Sadly, I'm not seeing anything to convince me that MT football is taking steps to significantly improve it's performance. Over the next few years, the schedule seems to suggest that the level of competition of MT's opponents will become increasingly stronger.

My perception and that's all it is, at this point, is there a general lack of energy, emanating from the athletic department and the university. When all the major figures have been in place for a decade or more, it's hard not to become complacent or not see a need to change.

We knew what we were getting when West was hired two years ago. His lack of success at Memphis, UAB and So.Miss is well documented. But other considerations are Bibee (9 years) Ellis (7 years) Nix (4 years) with zero conference championships. These guys have been here way long enough to make something happen. The defense needs a complete makeover.

Reactions: MTTim
So I hope when it is announced that Nix has been let go that Wiley and FranklinMemphis fan will praise Stock and the athletic department for the change as much as you guys have harped on it for the last 6 months. Don't get me wrong I am in total agreement that a change is needed. But I get so tired of reading the same crap over and over and over again. Its sad that all you guys can do is bitch and moan about things.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTrueBlue
So I hope when it is announced that Nix has been let go that Wiley and FranklinMemphis fan will praise Stock and the athletic department for the change as much as you guys have harped on it for the last 6 months. Don't get me wrong I am in total agreement that a change is needed. But I get so tired of reading the same crap over and over and over again. Its sad that all you guys can do is bitch and moan about things.
There is an "Ignore" button.

Glad Stock did this. It was the right move and it does speak to accountability. I think he earns a bit of cred from the lot of us. Lets see who he goes after.

Reactions: MTLynn and Hop45
I admit I did not think Stock would make any changes. The numbers don't lie so he had to do something. He does deserve some cred.

West is still lurking out there, a human hemorrhoid on our defense.

If West goes, I just might climb back on board the SS Stuck-in-the-mud-still.

Some changes had to be made. Now will be the critical step of finding a DC who can make some big improvements. Sadly, it might prove to be a little too late for the new DC to really help out with landing some quality recruits for the upcoming signing period. Specifically, that D-line will need some help from new players.

At least this is a sign that there might be some changes afoot to suggest that MT might have a shot at improving play on the field. As touched upon in an aforementioned post, improvements are likely needed just to maintain the same W-L record with the schedule looking to increase in difficulty over the next few years.

I guess only time will tell if this is a big change that will turn things around for coach stock and the football program. The offense seems capable of winning if they can get help from the defensive side. Sadly, the offense has needed to play almost perfect ball to make up for all the points the defense would give up. Since this was the case for most of the season, the pressure resulted in each little mistake on offense appearing as glaring mistakes.

A lot of the time, coordinators are canned as scapegoats for problems with head coaching. All too often, firing of coordinators usually end up buying the HC another year or two before the same type of problems end up catching up to them. Whether this will be the case with coach stock will have to be revealed with time. Regardless, replacing a coord and a position coach or two will not likely help with an immediate boost in attendance. With the same HC, it would take a couple of seasons of some really good success to really see much of a boost in attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT