Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Per DNJ.

2016 - @ Ole Miss
2017 - @MT
2018 - @MT - Bridgestone
2019 - @ Ole Miss

Will help RPI come tournament time. I've been critical of CKD in the past but he has strengthened the OOC schedule (games against Ole Miss, VCU, and Vandy in upcoming season).

I have to give CKD credit, the scheduling has improved. My only complaint now is that we keep playing a NAIA, DII or NCCAA team each year (if the NCAA doesn't count the game toward the postseason, we should not either).

Hopefully, we will schedule a few more OOC games against NCAA tourney teams besides VCU.

I am not unhappy with it. I just don't see a reason why we need to play a mid level SEC team at Bridgstone. I get it if its Florida or Kentucky.

I am not unhappy with it. I just don't see a reason why we need to play a mid level SEC team at Bridgstone. I get it if its Florida or Kentucky.
exactly... same thing as playing Louisville in football at nissan stadium. The "benefits" of playing in nashville is not worth the cost.

Just win the damn games and people will come. Don't try to be cute.

Since MT had a recent series w/ Ole Miss, I'm hesitant to call this an unprecedented or breakthrough move. The more balanced locations of the series is fairly satisfying. This combined with the other games on the schedule makes me wonder if the last 4 or 5 seasons of success is finally starting to earn MT basketball some credibility within the overall college basketball landscape.

It is good to see these sort of games with the benefits on the RPI and generally improved exposure. In Kermit's defense, it seems he's done a pretty good job given the circumstances in scheduling regarding SOS RPI. In recent seasons, it seems MT has been battling the "victim of success" thing with enough success that major programs are hesitant to schedule MT. In a poor RPI season for C-USA last season, Kermit's scheduling helped keep MT at the top of the conference in RPI for most of the season. Last season, Kermit scheduled non-P5 programs that had good RPIs going into the season in Ga State, S Dakota St, and obviously VCU. In local non-P5 games, Kermit seems to play Murray St and Belmont every season. If you're going to play teams from the OVC, typically those two are going to be the toughest with the best RPI from their conf. That's pretty smart scheduling given the circumstances in my opinion.

TSU seems to be an annual game. If their RPI is not horrendously low, I'm ok with a local match up vs TSU to fill out the schedule. It seems that TSU typically falls into the niche of a schedule filler when a D1 game is needed at a time or opening in the schedule when many people are not paying attention to college basketball. For example, I seem to recall MT playing TSU more than once early in the season on Sunday afternoons when most sports fans in the south are watching the NFL.

While I typically have a problem with MT scheduling non D1 teams, I don't have too much of a problem with a game like last season's Trevecca game. When the non-D1 game is vs a local team in the middle of the holidays to serve as a holiday break recovery game, I don't complain too much regarding scheduling such a game. It seems attendance would be low anyways since it is right in the middle of the holidays. Returning to a sort of glorified scrimmage makes sense for the team after having a few days off. Additionally, it's bowl season. It seems that generally speaking, the sports world puts college basketball on the back burner during bowl season.

It's heartening to see that MT seems to be putting together a really good schedule for the upcoming season. Perhaps the big NCAA win is starting to pay dividends. Hopefully, the talent will be there at a good depth on the roster to make these winnable games if MT plays well. Clearly, players returning such as Upshaw and Potts give MT tremendously talented players to put on the court. Hopefully the new guards are able to produce a quality starting PG and reasonable support in the backcourt in general. Hopefully, this will include Simpson bouncing back from that horrible injury to go on to have a great season next year!

Reactions: SpaceRaider
exactly... same thing as playing Louisville in football at nissan stadium. The "benefits" of playing in nashville is not worth the cost.

Just win the damn games and people will come. Don't try to be cute.

Yet you guys complain about media support and attendance from fans in the entire Nashville Metro MSA. Can't have it both ways.

Yet you guys complain about media support and attendance from fans in the entire Nashville Metro MSA. Can't have it both ways.
Not me. I don't complain about attendance. Attendance is dependent on performance. Win more games and attendance will improve.

They won a boatload of games last season and we couldn't even sell out a huge conference game vs. UAB. I was there.
Gotta win more. If you ain't in the top 25 then Joe sports fan (nashville, m'boro, knoxville, etc) doesn't care. Did you see all of the empty seats in neyland when ewe tee fell off?

They won a boatload of games last season and we couldn't even sell out a huge conference game vs. UAB. I was there.

While constant sellouts would be nice, it seems to require to compete for the Top25 and that national stage to get the sellouts for most programs in the current climate.

In the final stretch of the season when MT hosted UAB with about 4 more games to go, I wouldn't necessarily refer to about 18 wins as a boatload of wins. Again, a sellout would be great. Attendance wasn't that bad either IIRC. I just don't think MT was demonstrating some stellar season at that point to really get fans to pack the arena.

Down the stretch of last regular season, it seems above average would be a fairly accurate description for the team's record. MT was still needing some wins just to finish in the top 4 to get that conf tourney first round bye. Those last few games, a regular season championship seemed out of reach IIRC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT