ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING MT commit lands a big offer...

To me it doesn't matter if we never ever have a snowballs chance in hell to get a certain kid. You still show the effort as a school. Other kids notice what schools come to observe games. Coaches notice. You need to build a pipeline so when that great kid comes you really do have a shot.

I swear sometimes this staff has a map and randomly throws darts at it.

I just remember the story from last year (or year before). The LB we signed from Brentwood Academy was having a tough time on deciding where to go. From what I hear, his freaking dad reached out to the staff and asked them to look at his son. An offer was made and the rest is history.

We should've been on him all along. It never should've gotten to the point of a kids dad reaching out to the staff. I understand if the kid was under-the-radar, but he was a 5.6 RR. It's really baffling when you sit and think about it.

I just remember the story from last year (or year before). The LB we signed from Brentwood Academy was having a tough time on deciding where to go. From what I hear, his freaking dad reached out to the staff and asked them to look at his son. An offer was made and the rest is history.

We should've been on him all along. It never should've gotten to the point of a kids dad reaching out to the staff. I understand if the kid was under-the-radar, but he was a 5.6 RR. It's really baffling when you sit and think about it.

A famous baseball coach I know of essentially got to the point that if a kid didn’t attend his summer camp, they would not get an offer. Forget if the kid lived in the same town and had MLB scouts drooling.

It almost sounds like that for Stock and in state recruiting. If you don’t come to our prospect camp in the summer, you don’t exist if you live in TN.

A famous baseball coach I know of essentially got to the point that if a kid didn’t attend his summer camp, they would not get an offer. Forget if the kid lived in the same town and had MLB scouts drooling.

It almost sounds like that for Stock and in state recruiting. If you don’t come to our prospect camp in the summer, you don’t exist if you live in TN.
That's not uncommon in CFB. Coaches want to see prospects willing to come to their camps...it's a way of showing "buy-in" in reciprocating the interest of the coaches.

C’mon guys. They are the paid professionals who know better than us how to build networking relationships with HS coaches, recruit and retain championship caliber talent and coach them into consistent conference title contenders and winners. #E,A.T,T.

Reactions: MTTim and C-Bow
I see Stone Norton entered the transfer portal.

3 star Nashville QB at FIU.
Played for Jonathan Quinn at DA
We didn’t offer first time around.
Has 4 years remaining.

I’m sure Stock is on it.
If he's anything like we saw earlier this year we don't want him. Slow and was very inaccurate. He looked confused and I know it wasn't our defense.

It is a positive that we have apparently offered Tullahoma WR/RB Jakobe Thomas. One of my co-workers who is from Tullahoma, ran track for UTK, and knows the family says he’s a sleeper pick with skills to play FBS. Wanted a look from Memphis but the Tigers are loaded at WR.
Think MT is recruiting him at safety, but he’s a good player.

Reactions: Raiders_55

I personally know an all state kicker from this season. They went to every MT camp and his father is an alumni. The kid has a 4.4 GPA and a perfect score on the ACT. FAU Memphis Vandy and all the service academy’s have made offers or offered a preferred walk-on status. The father and his son have written letters and emails to the staff and have had zero response. Our athletic department has now lost the families annual donation due to lack of a letter saying we are not interested. This is very sad. MT athletics is headed towards a very dark place full of many losses.

I personally know an all state kicker from this season. They went to every MT camp and his father is an alumni. The kid has a 4.4 GPA and a perfect score on the ACT. FAU Memphis Vandy and all the service academy’s have made offers or offered a preferred walk-on status. The father and his son have written letters and emails to the staff and have had zero response. Our athletic department has now lost the families annual donation due to lack of a letter saying we are not interested. This is very sad. MT athletics is headed towards a very dark place full of many losses.

That’s the thing. How hard is it to offer preferred walk on or at least keep the complementary offers and connections?

if I am at MT and Jonathan Quinn has a potential FBS quality player, I’m offering at least the preferred walk on and, if the interest isn’t that strong, I basically explain Asher will be here X number of years and we may not have a scholly for a while.So inadvertently encourage him to go but make a connection.

same for your example. We are losing our kicker. Is it a bad idea to bring in a walk on at least and that wants to be here and give him shot?

Any top talent in the immediate area needs to receive an offer. They might commit and go to Alabama, but with so many kids entering the transfer portal, getting home sick, or whatever reason, MT needs to be on their radar as a second option. I would think this would be a no-brainer.

MT better be playing in the transfer portal, especially this year, because they are really struggling from a talent standpoint and time is running out. They need an immediate boost.

Stories like this need to be investigated and questions asked of the staff so there is some accountability. There may be reasons but the staff should explain why they apparently ignored the prospect. Anyone covering MT sports?

MT better be playing in the transfer portal, especially this year, because they are really struggling from a talent standpoint and time is running out. They need an immediate boost.
Since players can transfer once without sitting out, I expect Rick to bring in a lot of transfers as those guys have experience and are much less likely to transfer again.

Reactions: Raiders_55
I agree. Not even sure Stone is 1-A talent regardless what his dad says.

If he's anything like we saw earlier this year we don't want him. Slow and was very inaccurate. He looked confused and I know it wasn't our defense.

Since players can transfer once without sitting out, I expect Rick to bring in a lot of transfers as those guys have experience and are much less likely to transfer again.
And thinking of the large number of JUCO busts Rick has had over the years, a transfer from a 4 year program will be less likely to bust, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Think MT is recruiting him at safety, but he’s a good player.
That’s what my coworker told me as well this morning but apparently the kid wants to play WR. I told him I read somewhere that he runs a 4.75 forty and unless he takes a perfect angle on every play it will be hard to cover some of these guys even in CUSA. Just look at what happened to Blankenship this season after his injury. He wanted me to pitch him to Memphis but the guy is not even ranked in the recruiting sites I checked and Memphis needs immediate help at corner.

Last edited:
Any top talent in the immediate area needs to receive an offer. They might commit and go to Alabama, but with so many kids entering the transfer portal, getting home sick, or whatever reason, MT needs to be on their radar as a second option. I would think this would be a no-brainer.

LINK: “Another one headed west on I-40

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT