ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING MT commit lands a big offer...

I got a call yesterday from a friend, the uncle of Riverdale DE Javon Nelson. His dad and I have done business as well. Asked me to make a call to Memphis to see if there was any interest.

If he ends up at Memphis instead of MT, I now know the booster to point the NCAA at....
Good luck with that. I have a 13-year prior business relationship with his father and served on the school board with his uncle who is now Chairman of the FSSD Board. They reached out to me. When his uncle called me I had to look him up. I wasn’t even aware they were related. He’s a 3-star 6’3” 260 lb. DE. Surely Tommy West or Shafer has at least driven by Riverdale to visit him. I will ask if MT has been in contact with them.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. I have a 13-year prior business relationship with his father and served on the school board with his uncle who is now Chairman of the FSSD Board. They reached out to me. When his uncle called me I had to look him up. I wasn’t even aware they were related. He’s a 3-star 6’3” 260 lb. DE. Surely Tommy West or Shafer has at least driven by Riverdale to visit him. I will ask if MT has been in contact with them.

I was joking.

The sad part with the NCAA, Cecil Newton could shop Cam around for $180,000, admit it & Cam was suspended for <2 hours. The NCAA would give MT and Memphis the death penalty if you offered his uncle a cup of coffee.

I was joking.

The sad part with the NCAA, Cecil Newton could shop Cam around for $180,000, admit it & Cam was suspended for <2 hours. The NCAA would give MT and Memphis the death penalty if you offered his uncle a cup of coffee.
😂. I did get my hand slapped back in 2004 for sending a “Congratulations!” card to Dave Thomas after he signed with Memphis but had not reported to campus.

I dont care how highly recruited or underrecruited Murfreesboro kids are. MT should be seriously looking at, if not offering every single one of them. It's amazing the amount of kids that go somewhere else.

I dont care how highly recruited or underrecruited Murfreesboro kids are. MT should be seriously looking at, if not offering every single one of them. It's amazing the amount of kids that go somewhere else.

This 100%.

So I looked up our offer - prospect info in the Rivals recruiting database.

For the class of 2021, Tennessee has 66 prospects with 2 stars or more. We offered 10.
For the mid-state, there are 34 prospects, we offered 4.
For M’boro, there are 2, we offered 1

Adding to the stupidity,, we are statically offering 2 and 3 star instate athletes at the same rate as 4/5 star (which we honestly have a low chance of getting).

Reactions: Raiders_55

I've thought that same exact thing for awhile now.

Recruiting and signing more local kids will only help the program in the long run. Sad to see talent leave Murfreesboro and the general Nashville area without ever receiving an offer or interest from MTSU.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78

I should probably clarify that I meant D1 talent only. I can deal with losing FCS and D2 talent but not D1. Even though we sign guys out of state that their only offers are D2 quite often.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Recruiting is abysmal. Has been for years. Only reason we were on the plus side of .500 in recent years was Brent and a couple of diamonds in the rough around him. There's a reason why for the past seven years we are well below .500 w/o Brent behind center.

I got a call yesterday from a friend, the uncle of Riverdale DE Javon Nelson. His dad and I have done business as well. Asked me to make a call to Memphis to see if there was any interest.

WOW.....what happened to VA. VA Tech, Vandy, Ark and NC State?

NO...no offer

If our coaches failed to look at the Riverdale kid they should all be fired on the spot. I would not be surprised if they did not. Bunch of losers.
I have not heard back from them yet as to whether or not MT staff has even contacted them. I know that the kid’s verbal commitment and information I shared with my buddy down there was relayed directly to new HC Ryan Silverfield and I know he’ll definitely contact them if/when allowed. Ryan was the assistant who recruited and signed TJ Carter (Stratford) Obinna Eze (Davidson Academy) Rodney Owens (Ensworth) and Adam Williams (Wilson Central).

My best guess is he’s prolly somewhere down their board but Memphis is willing to take a shot at him.

I got a call Monday night to send him out to some coaches I know. He wasn't being straight with the Riverdale coaches when they would ask him where he stood with these schools. That was his top 5 in Sept. Sad part is MT never afford any of the Riverdale kids, expect for CJ and that's a PWO. That's good he found a home.

Stock literally watched the kid play basketball at team camp over in the aux gym. Saw the kid dunk a basketball as a 6'1 sophomore( shows how athletic he is) as of midway through his junior year he still hadnt heard from Stock or any staff members

Stock literally watched the kid play basketball at team camp over in the aux gym. Saw the kid dunk a basketball as a 6'1 sophomore( shows how athletic he is) as of midway through his junior year he still hadnt heard from Stock or any staff members
Good grief. And to think how much in demand athletic, 260 lb. defensive linemen are. Especially for G5 schools.
And Thanks for the input, Coach. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: mtfblue
We're a long way from when I went to MT and were able to get in on large numbers of local kids. No longer do half the mid-state kids have high school coaches who played for "Bubber", no longer is playing on TV not a factor, no longer does a kid dismiss flying cross country to play, no longer are there no recruiting services and huge numbers of "hangers-on", and for darn sure no longer can MT have a coach who doesn't seem to give sh-t about what mid-state coaches think of him and his program.
It's called "complementary recruiting". Go after local kids early even if you think you can't get them and establish relationships with coaches in the area. You never know when you may be able to get the next prospect at their school.
I am somewhat connected to area high school programs and I get so tired of hearing that MT didn't even show up to ask about a kid who signs at a low high-major or $#&-major. Gotta be part of the reason our program is where it is.

We're a long way from when I went to MT and were able to get in on large numbers of local kids. No longer do half the mid-state kids have high school coaches who played for "Bubber", no longer is playing on TV not a factor, no longer does a kid dismiss flying cross country to play, no longer are there no recruiting services and huge numbers of "hangers-on", and for darn sure no longer can MT have a coach who doesn't seem to give sh-t about what mid-state coaches think of him and his program.
It's called "complementary recruiting". Go after local kids early even if you think you can't get them and establish relationships with coaches in the area. You never know when you may be able to get the next prospect at their school.
I am somewhat connected to area high school programs and I get so tired of hearing that MT didn't even show up to ask about a kid who signs at a low high-major or $#&-major. Gotta be part of the reason our program is where it is.
Just my guess but if I'm a local HS coach and see whats happening at MT I would not want one of my kids to go there.

• Sad
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
IIRC, in one of the articles on our losses this year that was posted on Twitter, there was a local H.S. coach that commented about MT's local recruiting, or lack thereof. And basically said we'd be better if we would recruit more locally.

Now I don't think that's the case. I think we'd be just as bad as long as this coaching staff is in place, but the awareness of MT in the midstate would be a lot higher.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
If I’m ANY football staff member at MT, I would darn sure make it a point every day to drive by Oakland, Blackman and Riverdale (and even Siegel) in a University vehicle flying the flag. I was told by a very well connected Oakland HS alum that the MT staff doesn’t even go by there much less try to recruit there.
The 6A state runner up (Brentwood) is coached by a Blue Raider alum.
Just something to ponder. And nobody’s getting fired out there at Murphy Center unless the Head Football Coach approves it. He’s got almost $6 million reasons to do whatever he feels like as long as his players’ APR stays up and their bail bondsman demand goes down.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
These are just reasons like 102 and 103 why I’m so done. No one gives a F. Why should I? There is so much indifference, ineptness, or downright incompetence I just don’t give a damn anymore. They have burned me - one of the few die yards who has remained.

Instead of hashtagging EATT (wrongly) it should be #III. Oops I mean #I.I.I (aka #I. the way they would do it).

Reactions: Hop45
These are just reasons like 102 and 103 why I’m so done. No one gives a F. Why should I? There is so much indifference, ineptness, or downright incompetence I just don’t give a damn anymore. They have burned me - one of the few die yards who has remained.

Instead of hashtagging EATT (wrongly) it should be #III. Oops I mean #I.I.I (aka #I. the way they would do it).
I know it’s upsetting to lose a guy to Memphis but Javon was a hard lean to Vandy until West End got turned upside down last week. Other than showing a little interest in a local player there’s prolly nothing the current MT staff could have done to change his mind. He’s firm on signing early with the Tigers on Wed.
There needs to be a complete change of culture at MT from top to bottom.

It is a positive that we have apparently offered Tullahoma WR/RB Jakobe Thomas. One of my co-workers who is from Tullahoma, ran track for UTK, and knows the family says he’s a sleeper pick with skills to play FBS. Wanted a look from Memphis but the Tigers are loaded at WR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT