ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT and NIL

These things are extremely secretive.

And probably for the best.
They won't be as much if the House settlement is approved and signed.

Part of the settlement is creation of a clearing house run by the NCAA (that is asking for trouble in itself) that requires all athletes to submit NIL deals over $600 for verification of authenticity. The idea is to make sure they are true NIL paying market value for the player and not incentive or pay for play. You can't have the star QB of UGA making $2m for one 30min appearance. Things like that.

But who determines the market value, who will be the NIL czar, no one knows. And that still restricts what players can make so while the players that sign the settlement can't sue, the collectives (ie boosters) that want to pay more and keep that star QB in their uniform can sue.

This is a long way from over.

I say put a cap on it. Like a senior can make up to 1k per hour. Idk what the number is but there has to be something.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I say put a cap on it. Like a senior can make up to 1k per hour. Idk what the number is but there has to be something.
Makes sense, but i don’t see how they can say a max a player can make. And all these deals are not from their “employer” meaning the school, so a college football salary cap doesn’t work either. Really not sure what the solution is here, but some sort of even playing field model is what the sport needs for long term health.

The straight forward thing to me seems to be player contracts where the school retains the rights to the player image or locks in players eligibility for a certain amount of time. For example, out of high school a player signs a 2 year contract to play at MT and keeps their NIL money earning ability for 2 years. If they transfer out after 1 year they can’t play anywhere the 2nd year and can’t earn NIL money. Kind of like a non-compete agreement if they leave the contract early. And of course they could negotiate a settlement if the new school wants to pay some sort of termination fee.

Makes sense, but i don’t see how they can say a max a player can make. And all these deals are not from their “employer” meaning the school, so a college football salary cap doesn’t work either. Really not sure what the solution is here, but some sort of even playing field model is what the sport needs for long term health.

The straight forward thing to me seems to be player contracts where the school retains the rights to the player image or locks in players eligibility for a certain amount of time. For example, out of high school a player signs a 2 year contract to play at MT and keeps their NIL money earning ability for 2 years. If they transfer out after 1 year they can’t play anywhere the 2nd year and can’t earn NIL money. Kind of like a non-compete agreement if they leave the contract early. And of course they could negotiate a settlement if the new school wants to pay some sort of termination fee.
This is one of the most common sense things I've seen.

Will it happen? Who knows. The issue with a salary cap of any sort is the athletes have no input, meaning anit-trust lawsuits everywhere. It is what makes the NFL work with a salary cap and anti-trust exemption. If they didn't have a collective bargaining agreement with the players union it wouldn't work. College has no CBA and no exemption.

It's why I still think the long game is football (and maybe basketball) splitting off and students becoming employees. While a contract like you mentioned makes sense, I'm not sure legaly as a true student you can do that. Employee, yes. And that is the issue. It may take another decade, but I absolutely think a major split from the NCAA will happen.

This is one of the most common sense things I've seen.

Will it happen? Who knows. The issue with a salary cap of any sort is the athletes have no input, meaning anit-trust lawsuits everywhere. It is what makes the NFL work with a salary cap and anti-trust exemption. If they didn't have a collective bargaining agreement with the players union it wouldn't work. College has no CBA and no exemption.

It's why I still think the long game is football (and maybe basketball) splitting off and students becoming employees. While a contract like you mentioned makes sense, I'm not sure legaly as a true student you can do that. Employee, yes. And that is the issue. It may take another decade, but I absolutely think a major split from the NCAA will happen.
Even if the CFB players created a union to manage CBA / benefits, how do you handle revenue sharing? Revenue sharing (across ALL 32 teams in the NFL) is one reason for the parity / success the NFL has enjoyed in the salary cap era. Or do you go with the "luxury tax" option seen in the NBA.

Either way...I don't see Bama and Texas getting on board with "sharing" revenue with Sam Houston or UAB.

Even if the CFB players created a union to manage CBA / benefits, how do you handle revenue sharing? Revenue sharing (across ALL 32 teams in the NFL) is one reason for the parity / success the NFL has enjoyed in the salary cap era. Or do you go with the "luxury tax" option seen in the NBA.

Either way...I don't see Bama and Texas getting on board with "sharing" revenue with Sam Houston or UAB.
That's why I see a split. Bama is probably even tired of sharing revenue with Vandy. Those who can afford it (and are willing to spend, unlike Vandy) will jump. We are all FBS and I believe we should fight as long as we can to keep it that way (I didn't used to think that). But eventually the reality will catch up with our desire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT