ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs UTEP, 6PM, Monday, February 21, 2022

MT up 43-30 at the half.. best half of ball control this year- 2 TOs and 9 assists on 14 made baskets.. there was a stretch on defense that looked incredible, talking, switching, making life very difficult in the half court sets for the Miners.. on offense they countered the overplay with cuts, dunks, and points in the paint.. 20 minutes to play- effort like that will go far..

Dang

There's 20 wins and 11 conference wins.

This team keeps playing like this and they will be a real threat to win CUSA tournament.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Criminal.
Yeah- 2 of the 3 technicals were ticky-tacky.. Lenard pats his head after the lob dunk- sure it's taunting, but so is the flexing, 3 finger wave after hitting 3's, mouse-in-the-house hand gesture, and countless other things that kids do anymore after scoring.. you see that stuff in every game and I don't ever recall seeing a tech unless it was actually in an opponents face.. the one ref definitely wanted to be part of the game instead of simply facilitating the action..

MT really wore UTEP down and played really smart for the most part, +14 on the glass, only 8 TO's for the game and 16 assists on 26 made baskets.. this team finds so many ways to win.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Downright impressive.

Is this the day that CNM has officially arrived at The Murphy Center? He was one fired up HC tonight. Again, I love it!

Unlike so many other quality teams where a couple of the players are central to their success, MT's hallmark is it's whole team effort. Sure Jefferson is a natural scorer and leading scorer, but it is any combination of 10 players night in and night out that keep finding a way to win.

Weston was clutch with his free throws and Lenard is just so much fun to watch. Block on one end transitions to an oop on the other end more often than not!

Lenard is just so raw of an athlete- I'm not sure anyone can overthrow a lob to the guy after that one handed full extension jam he got on the out-of-bounds play.. My wish list for him does include a mid-range jumper, with his length and finishing ability if he can get the 1-2 dribble pull up into his arsenal he'd be almost unstoppable on offense. Defensively he's even more raw- on ball lateral quickness needs some improvement and because he's a great rim protector it puts him out of position with weakside defense/rotations.. he and Eli get beat off the bounce fairly consistently straining the defense- both young players so room for improvement..

Lenard is just so raw of an athlete- I'm not sure anyone can overthrow a lob to the guy after that one handed full extension jam he got on the out-of-bounds play.. My wish list for him does include a mid-range jumper, with his length and finishing ability if he can get the 1-2 dribble pull up into his arsenal he'd be almost unstoppable on offense. Defensively he's even more raw- on ball lateral quickness needs some improvement and because he's a great rim protector it puts him out of position with weakside defense/rotations.. he and Eli get beat off the bounce fairly consistently straining the defense- both young players so room for improvement..
Yep, his athletic talent is raw, but wow, what athletic talent he has! His potential is tremendous. Nice breakdown of some of the specific areas for improvement.

I may have been a harsh critic of the last few years' performance, but this area with young players like Lenard are the areas that I have believed CNM can shine. It's just my general observation or belief that a big strength for CNM is his tendency or ability to develop good quality relationships with players. In this age of the transfer portal, it is this strength of CNM that I am really hoping to see shine.

Reactions: Hop45
Refs are ridiculous. Probably lucky McD didn't get tossed. UConn's coach gets a T, starts to hype of the crowd, so they throw another T and toss him out.

Refs are ridiculous. Probably lucky McD didn't get tossed. UConn's coach gets a T, starts to hype of the crowd, so they throw another T and toss him out.

CNM was lucky - Ray Nitilli gave him some grace but also told him all about the grace he was receiving and said he should have tossed him for hyping up the Glass House crowd.. I spoke with someone very familiar with what's happening last night- evidently the NCAA refs received guidance last week about certain things being automatic technicals now (why in the midst of a season is beyond me, but....) all player taunting (i.e. Lenard's head pat but including other things like flexing and other hand gestures) are supposed to be automatic now.. coaches that point at the replay/scoreboards showing foul disparities- now automatic- excessively out of coaches box- automatic (see Tom Izzo last night).. so evidently this is now a thing.. so no taunting of any kind and coaches have a short, short leash on showing up the officials... usually this stuff is placed on hold and becomes an officiating emphasis the next season but nope- everyone now has to adjust 2/3rds into the year... never seen anything quite like it

Last edited:
CNM was lucky - Ray Nitilli gave him some grace but also told him all about the grace he was receiving and said he should have tossed him for hyping up the Glass House crowd.. I spoke with someone very familiar with what's happening last night- evidently the NCAA refs received guidance last week about certain things being automatic technicals now (why in the midst of a season is beyond me, but....) all player taunting (i.e. Lenard's head pat but including other things like flexing and other hand gestures) are supposed to be automatic now.. coaches that point at the replay/scoreboards showing foul disparities- now automatic- excessively out of coaches box- automatic (see Tom Izzo last night).. so evidently this is now a thing.. so no taunting of any kind and coaches have a short, short leash on showing up the officials... usually this stuff is placed on hold and becomes an officiating emphasis the next season but nope- everyone now has to adjust 2/3rds into the year... never seen anything quite like it
So if CNM gets ejected which assistant takes over as coach? Seems with the new rules it is not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT