ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Murray State, 6:30, Tuesday, November 15, 2016

We are taking on 1-0 Murray State tomorrow. This weekend we get 3-0 TSU, which won a weekend tournament with wins over UC-Davis, Northern Arizona, and Santa Clara.

Good tests on tap this week.

Interested to see if Kermit sticks with the starting 5 from Milligan game...

Dixon, Simpson, Giddy, Upshaw, Jacorey Williams

Big game. Hope everyone is making plans to attend. Murray is an old rival that has had our number for a loooong time.

Reactions: Matt Dossett
Great win over a good Murray State team. They're gonna be real good this year... But damn Jacorey Williams is a BALLER!! He is on another level of greatness.

Very impressed with Habersham tonight. If he plays the way he did tonight the rest of the year, we will be in good shape. I can also tell that Copeland has really improved. He seemed to really give us a spark when we were down early tonight.

One more thing, this team is REALLY deep. No wonder we are redshirting Davion Thomas.

Very encouraged by this performance tonight. Took a good opening punch from Murray and responded in a nice methodical way to ultimately take control of the game. Some loose ends to tie up defensively, but I loved the offensive balance. I know Habersham and Simpson won't shoot like they did tonight in every game, but it was wonderful to see them pick up the slack on a night when Giddy was off. I think Jacorey Williams is a keeper. He's the best offensive talent on the team.

Also really liked what I saw tonight from Gamble, Foote, and Walters.

The pieces are there. I hope we can keep winning games while the staff continues to learn how to most optimally utilize our weapons.

Nice game overall. I hope to see this series continue. It's good for both teams.

Williams clearly showed he was the best athlete on the court. Really turned it up in the second half after he seemed to get frustrated early.

Simpson had some key shots in the first half. He should be able to provide some good leadership this year.

Habersham and Foote played well and I feel like they'll have some games where either one can have a big night.

I also liked what I saw from Copeland in the first half. He made a few mistakes but he doesn't seem as "wild" as he did last year.

GO BLUE!

I agree with all the comments, but have one question. Dixon starts both halves, but barely logged any minutes after starting. What's up with that? Didn't appear to be in Kermit's doghouse or anything like that. I just find it weird that you start him, then don't play him a little more.

I agree with all the comments, but have one question. Dixon starts both halves, but barely logged any minutes after starting. What's up with that? Didn't appear to be in Kermit's doghouse or anything like that. I just find it weird that you start him, then don't play him a little more.

I don't think Kermit was too happy with Dixon's defense. He left Stark open for 3 way too many times. He'll learn from it though.

I was there and it was an okay crowd. There were two accidents on 840 that made me late for the game. My thoughts on Dixon are he has good vision, ball handling and understanding of the offense. The issue is I don't think he is physically ready this early in his career to guard the quicker point guards in this league for an extended period of time in man. Kermit quickly recognized that and didn't let Murray State take advantage of the young kid (smart move). He will do great in zone but he's not ready defensively to stay in when we go man to man.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I wish we could take Dixon and red shirt him. PG is so important. No way he can play D the way KD wants, yet. With the depth of the team, I would love to see this.

Kermit in the post game called out the crowd and said it was nice to see people getting into the game but that we should have 7,500 every night at the least. We all need to step up and bring our friends, neighbors, coworkers to these games. Including tonight's WBB game vs #5 Louisville same time 6:30pm

Reactions: C-Bow
Thanks for the comments on Dixon. I'm a baseball guy, so I barely understand X's and O's for hoops.

I'm fine with playing Dixon this year and seeing how he develops over the course of the season. I'm not a fan of using Potts or Simpson at the point, so that just leaves Copeland and Dixon. I hope one of them develops to the point that they can take a majority of the minutes at PG and Potts/Simpson can focus their energies off the ball where they are best.

Kermit in the post game called out the crowd and said it was nice to see people getting into the game but that we should have 7,500 every night at the least. We all need to step up and bring our friends, neighbors, coworkers to these games. Including tonight's WBB game vs #5 Louisville same time 6:30pm

I wish we would stop worrying about the crowd and just focus on being the coach. If we keep winning the crowd will be there.

"If we keep winning the crowd will be there." What's it gonna take? National Ranking? Final Four? - the last five years have been the best in school history record-wise. We just had the biggest victory in school history and have two returning starters, several others who contributed, and some quality recruits.

With the success we have had over the last few years you know Davis is disappointed in the crowds and, I assume, the lack of increase in ticket sales. He has mentioned several times in interviews since last year's success that he was hoping for an uptick in support.

Like Davis I am hugely disappointed and have been since our breakout year 5 yrs ago. I remember Hale, Jr. commenting on his show that the Boro is a BkB town and the support would explode once we started winning. Hasn't happened and probably won't. Sad to say but the Earle, Simpson, and Stewart years will be remembered as the pinnacle of MT fan support. I do try to remember that no matter how excited I am for the new season even in the best years crowds were always better after the new year.

I'm losing hope that MT athletics will ever be relevant to the mid-state community. Breaks my heart to say: Perhaps we should have stayed in the OVC.

I said it elsewhere, but I think when the academic year and sports start off with football having disappointing results (vandy, wku, homecoming...) it sucks the potential for generating excitement for other sports. When you have an apathetic fan base at the beginning of the year, it bleeds over in to the other sports...

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I said it elsewhere, but I think when the academic year and sports start off with football having disappointing results (vandy, wku, homecoming...) it sucks the potential for generating excitement for other sports. When you have an apathetic fan base at the beginning of the year, it bleeds over in to the other sports...

Not only that, but other criticisms I have is the damn 6:30 tip offs for weeknight basketball. Some of us are still fighting rush hour traffic from Nashville or even across town or just getting home. It is F'n Major Stupid to think you are going to get decent turnout from townspeople at that time. Don't know what the F the problem is with students. Turnout is microscopic %-wise.

Another thing is driving by the arena at 5:30 on any game night you hardly even notice the Murphy Center is there in the dark. A darkly lit exterior just doesn't give anyone a clue that there is a game. It's a far cry from when Murphy Center originally opened. I posted this photo a few months ago.

Murphy%20Center%20all%20lit%20up%201972%20or%2073_zpsuujqvgzq.jpg

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I wish we would stop worrying about the crowd and just focus on being the coach. If we keep winning the crowd will be there.

Because the crowd was totally there versus Murray State after we won the biggest game in school history, right? CKD has his team ready to go and improving every day. If he feels he should speak out and motivate our fan base to come out to the game, that is his incentive to do so. And certainly they deserve our support.

Because the crowd was totally there versus Murray State after we won the biggest game in school history, right? CKD has his team ready to go and improving every day. If he feels he should speak out and motivate our fan base to come out to the game, that is his incentive to do so. And certainly they deserve our support.
They have "our" support. They don't have most of the students and those that don't come. We have a program that won an NCAA game, while nice doesn't add 3000 fans to a game against an OVC school.

They have "our" support. They don't have most of the students and those that don't come. We have a program that won an NCAA game, while nice doesn't add 3000 fans to a game against an OVC school.

We are averaging 20,000 a game for the football team. And we all know how that team looks. There's no reason the rest of the arena that isn't student sections shouldn't be full. And CKD is doing a ton of outreach to students. If you look at his Twitter and the MT_MBB account, they are stopping by all the frats and sororities and doing things nearly daily to get students to the games. They are putting in the effort. I think the time plays a major role. The first home game of the year last year vs VCU was at 8pm on a week night and we had 9,000.

We are averaging 20,000 a game for the football team. And we all know how that team looks. There's no reason the rest of the arena that isn't student sections shouldn't be full. And CKD is doing a ton of outreach to students. If you look at his Twitter and the MT_MBB account, they are stopping by all the frats and sororities and doing things nearly daily to get students to the games. They are putting in the effort. I think the time plays a major role. The first home game of the year last year vs VCU was at 8pm on a week night and we had 9,000.
Well, like I said expecting a 3K increase is silly. Never criticize your fans because it never works.

Well, like I said expecting a 3K increase is silly. Never criticize your fans because it never works.
It isn't a criticism to say he would like to see us having 6500 or 7500 fans a game at home. We averaged 5,184 last year... you would hope we would be seeing more than 4,500 for a game against a team like Murray. And especially against TSU, a half hour away.

It isn't a criticism to say he would like to see us having 6500 or 7500 fans a game at home. We averaged 5,184 last year... you would hope we would be seeing more than 4,500 for a game against a team like Murray. And especially against TSU, a half hour away.
But crowds have always been smaller early in the year. I think getting 4-5k is better then the 2-3k we used to get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT