ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee @ Lipscomb (ESPN+), 3PM, Saturday, 11/9/2019

No. I completely agree with you. When a player makes an obviously stupid decision, he should be reminded so. Perhaps McDevitt prefers to do it during film study or practice, but still....it's weird how he doesn't get angry at some things.
At the game today I saw him call a time out or two and rip the guys a new one. Also Sims had an off night with some uncharacteristic mistakes and Nick pulled him with like 3-4 minutes to go. He smoothly went over to have a deeper conversation with him. Honestly I like this approach better. My only complaint today is that our young guys looked lost sometimes on defense. Also keep in mind that Nick and his staff are targeting a higher class of athletes with egos that don’t take to kindly to those old Kermit antics. I don’t remember the time when we’ve had this much length and basketball skill on the team. Then again I am young lol.

Reactions: GMClemson33
No he didn’t play tonight... you’re though about trying to figure out roles.. games are the only way to figure that out- all the practice in the world can’t do that..

Still too many turnovers but the 1-3-1 paid dividends..
Yes Crump did play. I was there, saw him go in the second half, pulled after a minute or so.

Yes Crump did play. I was there, saw him go in the second half, pulled after a minute or so.

Several folks noted he played for about/less than a minute- watched most of the game online but never saw him enter the game.. stats didn’t reflect him playing when I posted.. everyone good now?

I think if they didn't have their big #23 we would have beat them pretty easily and been a bit more successful in the paint. That being said a road win against a D1 team is always a good win.

The stat I will be watching is TOs...we had 20 yesterday - this has got to come down. Half of them were travels which I think are correctable.

Always good to get a win and give the staff tape to improve the team.

Good win on the road at a good school is never a bad thing. I thought we were done at the end and then hit 2 monster 3 point plays and clutch FT's to seal it. It made me feel excited aout the program again.

Last edited:
At the game today I saw him call a time out or two and rip the guys a new one. Also Sims had an off night with some uncharacteristic mistakes and Nick pulled him with like 3-4 minutes to go. He smoothly went over to have a deeper conversation with him. Honestly I like this approach better. My only complaint today is that our young guys looked lost sometimes on defense. Also keep in mind that Nick and his staff are targeting a higher class of athletes with egos that don’t take to kindly to those old Kermit antics. I don’t remember the time when we’ve had this much length and basketball skill on the team. Then again I am young lol.

That (bolded above) has pretty much been true since the first day CNM arrived. We got spoiled with Kermit's defense.

Lipscomb has a ton of wide open uncontested three pointers that they just missed. If Lipscomb would have hit those wide open looks like we have known they are accustomed to doing that would a have been a 10 to 15 point loss. I wish we could say Lipscomb's poor shooting was because of our defense, but out of their 32 three pointers at least 14 or 15 weren't even contested. Our guys get so out of position if the opposing team makes more than three passes. So, we got a little lucky yesterday. Most days Lipscomb shoots near 50% from three point range on wide open looks but they thankfully missed a lot of them yesterday.

That's part of their game they are going to have to continue to work on.

Oh, and Jones is legit. Good to have another transfer that can keep us afloat. That three he hit off the dribble with less than 20 seconds was ice.

I was at the game. I agree we caught a couple of fortunate breaks (not Lipscomb's best shooting night for sure), but we also did some things that helped ultimately win the game. For example, the defensive adjustment to go to the 1-3-1 bothered Lipscomb at times and we used some timely double teams on the big man down low that resulted in a couple of additional defensive stops. Best sign by far from this game IMO is that Antonio Green was inconsistent (obviously came up big at the end), Sims was a non-factor scoring the ball (he did have 5 assists, not to be overlooked), Jayce Johnson had a dud of a game, and we STILL won the game. There is absolutely 0 percent chance we could have beaten any team on the road last year without at least two of those three guys playing really well.

We were able to beat Lipscomb because we got a standout effort from C.J. Jones, and really good depth contributions from others such as Millin, Jackson, and Lawrence. One of my favorite plays of the game was an athletic and aggressive offensive rebound pulled down by Eli Lawrence with about 8 minutes remaining in the game. He came out of nowhere to soar across the free throw lane and rebound a ball about 8 feet away from the basket. The second chance possession directly led to one additional point because Jayce was subsequently fouled and made one out of two free throws. One additional point in a game like that was enormous.

I don't think we are a great team by any stretch of the imagination, but we appear to be a more capable bunch this year with a higher ceiling than a year ago. And we have some first year division one players (Millin, Jackson, Millner, Lawrence) that look like they can collectively contribute positively on a majority of game nights. We need to make lots of improvements, but so does every other college basketball team in the country on November 11th. The challenge for the staff is to try to make sure that we improve at a higher rate than the other teams in our league. That will be the fun part (hopefully) to watch this season, especially when we get Scurry back.

This season is going to be fun because I don't have high expectations. My only watermark is to finish 500 or better in conference play. Thats it.

Saturday was a good litmus test for us. A win at Lipscomb is tougher than a road win at some conference foes. And we will only get better when Scurry gets back.

I do find it odd that Crump appears to be the odd man out...went from starting last year to not seeing the floor against Lipscomb. I know it is early, but that does stand out to me.

I was impressed with Jackson. Defensively, he really bothered their big man. They need to work with him offensively and teach him some post moves down low, as he is not going to be able to shoot over the defender like he could in high school. Overall, I think he will end up being a really good player for us.

Reactions: MTsumner92
I was at the game. I agree we caught a couple of fortunate breaks (not Lipscomb's best shooting night for sure), but we also did some things that helped ultimately win the game. For example, the defensive adjustment to go to the 1-3-1 bothered Lipscomb at times and we used some timely double teams on the big man down low that resulted in a couple of additional defensive stops. Best sign by far from this game IMO is that Antonio Green was inconsistent (obviously came up big at the end), Sims was a non-factor scoring the ball (he did have 5 assists, not to be overlooked), Jayce Johnson had a dud of a game, and we STILL won the game. There is absolutely 0 percent chance we could have beaten any team on the road last year without at least two of those three guys playing really well.

We were able to beat Lipscomb because we got a standout effort from C.J. Jones, and really good depth contributions from others such as Millin, Jackson, and Lawrence. One of my favorite plays of the game was an athletic and aggressive offensive rebound pulled down by Eli Lawrence with about 8 minutes remaining in the game. He came out of nowhere to soar across the free throw lane and rebound a ball about 8 feet away from the basket. The second chance possession directly led to one additional point because Jayce was subsequently fouled and made one out of two free throws. One additional point in a game like that was enormous.

I don't think we are a great team by any stretch of the imagination, but we appear to be a more capable bunch this year with a higher ceiling than a year ago. And we have some first year division one players (Millin, Jackson, Millner, Lawrence) that look like they can collectively contribute positively on a majority of game nights. We need to make lots of improvements, but so does every other college basketball team in the country on November 11th. The challenge for the staff is to try to make sure that we improve at a higher rate than the other teams in our league. That will be the fun part (hopefully) to watch this season, especially when we get Scurry back.

As for Memphis: I pesonally hope the NCAA wins and puts Memphis on probation for several years without any post-season therefore ruining Penny's coaching career. Likewise I hope the TSSAA wins on the high school level.
A high school and AAU coach giving a family money to move or a college booster (one thing we can commend Hardaway for is giving back to his school) giving money to the family of a future recruit must both be held up as unacceptable.

Regardless of what you think of Ensworth, Memphis East, Penny, UM, TSSAA, or the NCAA this horrible situation shows the corrupting influence of fame, money, the lengths schools will go to become "elite", shoe contracts, and the AAU programs.

As for Memphis: I pesonally hope the NCAA wins and puts Memphis on probation for several years without any post-season therefore ruining Penny's coaching career. Likewise I hope the TSSAA wins on the high school level.
A high school and AAU coach giving a family money to move or a college booster (one thing we can commend Hardaway for is giving back to his school) giving money to the family of a future recruit must both be held up as unacceptable.

Regardless of what you think of Ensworth, Memphis East, Penny, UM, TSSAA, or the NCAA this horrible situation shows the corrupting influence of fame, money, the lengths schools will go to become "elite", shoe contracts, and the AAU programs.

Over the years when Memphis has particularly exceptional teams/talent, they have been extremely dirty (corrupt)

Reactions: MTLynn

If it was an issue, the kid should've been ruled ineligible when he signed, not the day of the 1st game. Just sorry grapes by the blue bloods and this new rule with the NCAA will make Memphis a real National Title threat with FedEx and Autozone money

If it was an issue, the kid should've been ruled ineligible when he signed, not the day of the 1st game. Just sorry grapes by the blue bloods and this new rule with the NCAA will make Memphis a real National Title threat with FedEx and Autozone money

As regards the timing of the NCAA decision to deny eligibility: IIRC I read that the NCAA only recently found out either that Hardaway had given money to UM (therefore a booster) or that he had provided the money for the family to move from Nashville to Memphis.

Sorry, I don't remember the source and regardless, I could be mistaken.

As regards the timing of the NCAA decision to deny eligibility: IIRC I read that the NCAA only recently found out either that Hardaway had given money to UM (therefore a booster) or that he had provided the money for the family to move from Nashville to Memphis.

Sorry, I don't remember the source and regardless, I could be mistaken.

Gotcha...

I asked elsewhere so I'll ask here, does this mean Memphis won't be paying Wiseman the rest of the season?

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019...it-against-ncaa-uofm-amid-eligibility-ruling/

Will depend on NCAA's investigation. If it's considered a gift he's probably done having received impermissible benefit. If it's considered a loan, the amound ($11,500 is well above the maximum threshold). I believe old rule from a year ago would have been season. But current rule changed this year it's 30% of the season for anything over $800 and it has to be repaid. So, assuming 30 games, he will have to sit 10 games - unless they just rule it as a payment/gift. And it's hard for me to see that this would be ruled a loan. Have to think his college career is done.

I think he has already been paid upfront. As for playing I think they will play him until a final decision by the courts.

You didn't read the article. They've withdrawn the lawsuit and Memphis has ruled him ineligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT