ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (24-4, 14-1) at UAB (15-13, 8-7), CBSSN, 12PM, Sunday, February 26, 2017

As to Davis and his recruiting: I've often been slammed for my comments about Davis' recruiting each year (same church, different pew) so I made a conscious effort not to make any posts this year after the class was announced.

In my earlier post in this thread I gave credit to Davis for finding a way to make his recruiting philosophy work at MT. Yes, I wish that we could occasionally beat out a local $EC school for a player (As UAB did with Lee) and I wish we could get in on and sign higher rated players as some other %$&-majors (WKU, La. Tech & UTEP in our conference for example) seem to be able to do.

All that said; Davis has said (to paraphrase) about this year's class that we were able to beat out better teams for the players we signed even if they don't seem to be higher rated by rating services. As much as I would like higher rated recruits one can't argue with the recent success.

Didn't Kermit beat out South Carolina for Theron Hudson and Alabama for Josh Sain?

I'm not worried about recruiting as it appears to be working.

That said, Gonzaga has it's first all-american freshman on the roster this season so it might be a while before Kermit signs the type of player you are wanting to see.

Reactions: subkyle
Both Hudson (yes, he did beat out So. Car.) and Sain (don't remember) were before the recent success when it when one would expect recruiting to pick up.

And I'm not talking about elite players, just low major or high mid-major prospects (2.5 to 3.7 stars). According to VerbalCommits.com Gonzaga has two 4 star freshman this year and another 4 star signed for next year (to go along with three others in the soph and jr classes. We have a long way to go to get there.

Beyond the obvious of the success the team is having, Kermit has improved his system in that player defections are dramatically down the last few years. It seems that if there is a player or two lost it is a player that was getting barely any playing time. In such cases, those players may have been better off to transfer to a team where they might be able to play.

Let's face it with Kermit, not just any player can hack it in his system. Kermit demands extreme effort and toughness. That extra effort and toughness specifically makes a difference on the defensive end for the Blue Raiders. Now that Kermit has his system dialed in, it is a thing to behold in college basketball. Impressive and enjoyable to watch. Regarding those demands, not just any player can hack it in Kermit's system. I would suspect that would include a number of highly ranked recruits.

Plus, players such as Giddy and Dixon were widely overlooked. Somehow Kermit found them and has them playing top flight basketball. They are just a couple of examples.

Again, it would be nice for MT to be able to land some highly nationally ranked players. The way things are going, Kermit has some players performing as if they were highly ranked recruits. Plus, they fit into his system. I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday.

I remember back during Shawn Jones Senior C-USA Player of The Year run. I was watching and listening to the online feed from FAU when MT was playing down there at their place. The FAU announcers repeatedly expressed exasperation and frustration that a local kid like Shawn Jones got away from their backyard to go play at Middle Tennessee. They just didn't see how their coaches could blow such an opportunity.

Of course that was Shawn Jones' senior run. His junior year showed great development as well. From what I remember though, Shawn Jones was a little bit of a development project and needed lots of growth and improvement coming out of high school. That takes some talent and skill to recognize the potential in a player like that and to actually develop his potential. I suspect that if other "big" schools saw him they may have not wanted to put in the effort on a "project," or he was just flat overlooked by many a program. Kermit and his staff have really developed that keen eye to find overlooked talent that will also work in Kermit's system. Kermit and his staff deserve a lot of credit for finding such players that are able to contribute to the Blue Raiders being incredibly successful.

I sometimes wonder if Kermit has done a better job of finding kids that can play for him without quitting or if that was one of the things that winning cured. It's a lot easier to put up with rough practices and his quick game trigger when you are cutting down nets on a regular basis vs. getting 19-20 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT