ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (14-6, 5-2) @ UAB (17-5, 7-2), 3PM, Saturday, February 5, 2022

We will need to crash the boards, hit the three and contain the Walker kid to win. They have a seven foot guy that's good around the rim that will be a tough match up for us. Hopefully we can force them to go small where he is a no factor. I don't like that we didn't play Thursday. Long layoffs always seem to affect 3 point shooting. Hopefully that's not the case for us.

I was at the first MBB game between Middle Tennessee and uab in the mid 80s. Bruce Stewart was the Raider's coach. It was a holiday tournament of some sort. MT was paired up against Michigan in,the first game with the idea of the Blazers meeting the Wolverines in the tourney title game, but MT upset Michigan and met the Blazers and lost in OT. All I will say about that game is the refs burning in Hell from their actions in that game and Bartow, as well, are still on high flame. Probably the worst abuse I have ever seen from officiating I have witnessed against the Blue Raiders in any kind of athletic event. Have despised uab forever since.

I was there also and they should have launch a criminal investigation into the officials. The most blatant, crooked game I have ever witnessed.! That being said, what a great show put on by our guys! The beatdown of Michigan was a great performance, and the next night against UAB was just as good.

We will need to crash the boards, hit the three and contain the Walker kid to win. They have a seven foot guy that's good around the rim that will be a tough match up for us. Hopefully we can force them to go small where he is a no factor. I don't like that we didn't play Thursday. Long layoffs always seem to affect 3 point shooting. Hopefully that's not the case for us.
This might play to MTs benefit though since their best source of offense is in the paint. UAB is 1-5 when they shoot =<30% from 3. 16-0 when they shoot over.

944-B3-D29-B166-427-F-8-FC3-0-D35-D492-A958.jpg
I’m such a bandwagon fan.

Horrible no call against Buford on the dunk! Refs in UAB's favor pretty heavily.

Ok.. got hit in the mouth down the stretch.. not sure how the guards let him shoot 3 straight from 28+ feet.. the first one was fine but you gotta get up and in him after that.. battled well..

Raiders can come out and mimic what they did most of the half- clean up the boards and the lazy TO’s and they’ll be fine.. chip away at this lead but it starts right away with mental toughness.. let’s see what they got

Played great until the very end.

Not sure how you let one guy score 26 points and hit five 3's in one half of basketball.

Other than that, we've played well enough to win, but that doesn't seem likely after letting them go on that big run to end the first half. Gave me flashbacks to the way we used to finish halves...

My bad.......UAB started their run right when I turned the game on. UAB can do no wrong. Not our day. Forgot Buffen left Kermit.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
UAB is the better team. However, if they can shut down Walker, they are beatable. That’s a tall task.

their #25 was a true big man but ineffective.

I was not impressed with UAB. We beat them ar our place or on a neutral court. You can see why they loss to Marshall. They have one good player that was basically hitting half court shots all night and alot of favorable calls from the referees. I would gladly play them in the CUSA tournament.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Defense has got to get better. Giving up 97 points in a conference game is f'ing insane and unacceptable. No excuses. You cannot let the opposing teams best player set a career and UAB record for most points in a game (42). You read that right, Jordan Walker just broke the record for most points in a game for UAB in program history against the Blue Raiders tonight.

I was in the middle of doing something while watching the game so I couldn't give it my undivided attention. What were we doing defensively to slow this guy down? Surely we have some guards with length that can bother him (Eli?....King?) Did McDevitt try a box and one maybe?? Please tell me we didn't just sit in man defense all night with the occasional full court press.

It just can't happen. Better get that figured out or they will be ending our season in March too.

Last edited:
I watched the first several minutes of the 1st half on ESPN+ before leaving to take my granddaughter home. Then the last 9:00 which had already gotten out of hand. I doubt many in here really expected a win but the 22 point 2nd half train wreck loss was not.

While I can be highly critical of MT performances especially these last few years, I really ain't even mad about this loss. Of course I don't like losing, but that was a freak show from the mad bomber. When you walk across the half court line and throw up a bomb that hits nothing but the bottom of the net, you are getting beat by the team that had the better afternoon. And that was a half court shot that wasn't necessary but because he could.

MT didn't play horrible. Obviously, they didn't play perfectly either. That was more of a shooting freak show than what MT did to WKU last week. And that is saying something. When Walker hit that bomb from half court, it was pretty obvious the game was over.

Hopefully, this young MT will grow from this game in learning how to win on the road when the breaks are really against you. This is one of the identities the team has to develop again after such severe losing the last few years.

Next time MT sees that cat, pick him up defensively at the half court line.

While I can be highly critical of MT performances especially these last few years, I really ain't even mad about this loss. Of course I don't like losing, but that was a freak show from the mad bomber. When you walk across the half court line and throw up a bomb that hits nothing but the bottom of the net, you are getting beat by the team that had the better afternoon. And that was a half court shot that wasn't necessary but because he could.

MT didn't play horrible. Obviously, they didn't play perfectly either. That was more of a shooting freak show than what MT did to WKU last week. And that is saying something. When Walker hit that bomb from half court, it was pretty obvious the game was over.

Hopefully, this young MT will grow from this game in learning how to win on the road when the breaks are really against you. This is one of the identities the team has to develop again after such severe losing the last few years.

Next time MT sees that cat, pick him up defensively at the half court line.
Exactly. That Walker kid had the best game of his career and he will most likely never repeat that performance. I don't seem him shooting that well on a neutral court come CUSA tournament time. The officiating was pretty one sided as well. The guy basically hits 3 half court shots in a row and everything kind of snowballed after that. Not upset about that loss. Let's see how we play against UTSA tonight.

Exactly. That Walker kid had the best game of his career and he will most likely never repeat that performance. I don't seem him shooting that well on a neutral court come CUSA tournament time. The officiating was pretty one sided as well. The guy basically hits 3 half court shots in a row and everything kind of snowballed after that. Not upset about that loss. Let's see how we play against UTSA tonight.
Yeah Walker deflated the energy from MT to close the half.. he was on, plain and simple and he also wasn't just a one trick pony- he hit the bombs from deep, he was penetrating, he shot mid range, he got the FT line.. sometimes you just gotta congratulate guy on a night like that.. you don't throw junk defenses mid-game that most teams don't even practice and hope it magically works and that allow the other guys to get going- this isn't high school/JV ball.. and MT was still in the game despite the poor body language, cutting it down to 12-14 points several times around the 9 minute mark. At the 4 minute mark it was a 15 point game and Sims going for layup, gets stripped and UAB knocks down a 3- so instead of a 12 point game it's a 18 point game. Point is this MT team still was in the game even though they had sorta checked out.. good learning opportunity and I trust this team will be ready (and mad) if these teams meet again.. we all know this team hasn't really put 40 solid minutes of play together and come tourney time that's what it'll take no matter who the opponent is..

Also KJ Buffen isn't anyone you all should've lost sleep over the last few years.. 8 pts/4 boards in 28 minutes as a 4 year player.. serviceable no doubt but nothing special..

Teams like Murray St, SFA, and UAB play fast too- they like uptempo same as MT- difference is MT wasn't generating live ball TO's and they were sloppy (17 TO's for the game)- MT mostly fixed the defensive rebounding in the 2nd half but the TO's came into play as much as not stringing some defensive stops together..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT