Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Christmas, every day...

pure schadenfreude...

Commercial Appeal:

Another 'crazy' day for Memphis basketball

excerpts:

...No way, McDowell thought, would Crawford decide to transfer on live radio in Memphis.

Then he did, becoming the sixth player to leave the Tigers since Coach Tubby Smith’s first season ended exactly one month ago. It was the latest twist during a wild Monday that played out on the radio airwaves and dealt another blow to the Tigers’ immediate future on the hardwood.....

...the list of defections kept growing, and they even included Smith’s first recruit at Memphis (freshman guard Keon Clergeot) by the end of this past weekend. The Tigers will return just two of their top nine scorers from a season ago.....

Last edited:
Third article on Memphis BkB that has made it into The Tennessean in the last few days. The "new look" statewide coverage for Gannett has helped give UT-K and Memphis (rarely covered at all previously) much more coverage in the mid-states' prime newspaper. All other schools including those in the mid-state: Not So Much! (APSU had gotten a couple of articles on their new coach and of course VU BB & Spring FB coverage by Sparks.)

But hey, they were able to cut staff and make more profit for their stockholders even if it doesn't do anything to "provide a public service" for their readers. Damn, I wish I wasn't so conditioned to holding a newspaper in my hands while having my first cup of coffee. And it's much too time consuming to look up and read each of the comics I like on the net - and I need them to keep going.

What's interesting to me is no one sees a problem with hiring a Dad to be on a staff simply to have access to top players. What the heck is wrong with people.

Everyone is quick to pounce on the bash Tubby train but look at the situation before he arrived in Tigerland (very bad)... IMMHO, this (players transferring) is a Godsend for Coach Smith. He will be able to start over with his own players. In the process, he will be able to limit the number of Memphis players he has on the roster.

I have had several college coaches tell me you can take the kid out of Memphis but you can't take the Memphis out of the kid. With that said, they added that only one or two Memphis players would be on their team at one time. If there were more, problems arose.

I believe Coach Smith will be successful in Memphis and be successful with a clean program...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT