ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS McPhee’s State of the University Address

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
interesting excerpt here:

"...The university, McPhee said, will “endeavor aggressively” to pursue three bold ideas in years ahead, some of which will require public-private partnerships, corporate investment and governmental support to fulfill:

Leverage the future potential brought by the recently completed enhancements to Middle Tennessee Boulevard. This may include creating a “campus district” to bolster student experience and tourism by transforming the area surrounding the campus into “a vital and active educational, cultural and commercial district.” .....

McPhee touts campus plans, ready-to-work grads at MTSU Fall Faculty kickoff

Rarely agree with McPhee but I do see the need of a "campus district". There seems to be a popular and traditional commercial district near any reasonably sized univ. Very often when alumni talk of going back to UT-K for an event part of their agenda is to visit the "strip" on Kingston Pike for their favorite place to eat or shop. I imagine all of us have frequented restaurants close to VU which are favorites of VU students, faculty, and alumni. I imagine such areas can be found in virtually every college town but not in Murfreesboro.

When I was a student the "spot" close to campus was along E. Main from College Heights to Mama Tam's. It's all changed now and the only reason I ever go there (it's out of the way) is for Slick Pig. Other than the bookstore and the long-gone Burger Queen I've never spent any time at the establishments on Greenland. As for the businesses close to campus on N. Rutherford - just another new commercial strip - no chance of building tradition.

Long before Mercury Blvd and E. Clark were constructed both TN 96 and US 70S went through the square, down E. Main and by campus. While not as heavily traveled as US 70 which went by both VU and UT-K the campus was, at that time, frequented by more people traveling through The Boro than today. At least they were exposed to the school. It's understandable why the routes were changed but it did nothing of improve the experience close to campus. Having I-24 on the west side of town is an unrelated choice which was not a positive for the University.

I don't care if it's on Greenland or MT Blvd or a combination but a "campus district" is needed but will be difficult. I can immediately imagine the problems associated with condemning property for commercial improvements (I'm personally not a fan of the policy) and regardless, you can't build tradition through construction.

Rarely agree with McPhee but I do see the need of a "campus district". There seems to be a popular and traditional commercial district near any reasonably sized univ. Very often when alumni talk of going back to UT-K for an event part of their agenda is to visit the "strip" on Kingston Pike for their favorite place to eat or shop. I imagine all of us have frequented restaurants close to VU which are favorites of VU students, faculty, and alumni. I imagine such areas can be found in virtually every college town but not in Murfreesboro.

When I was a student the "spot" close to campus was along E. Main from College Heights to Mama Tam's. It's all changed now and the only reason I ever go there (it's out of the way) is for Slick Pig. Other than the bookstore and the long-gone Burger Queen I've never spent any time at the establishments on Greenland. As for the businesses close to campus on N. Rutherford - just another new commercial strip - no chance of building tradition.

Long before Mercury Blvd and E. Clark were constructed both TN 96 and US 70S went through the square, down E. Main and by campus. While not as heavily traveled as US 70 which went by both VU and UT-K the campus was, at that time, frequented by more people traveling through The Boro than today. At least they were exposed to the school. It's understandable why the routes were changed but it did nothing of improve the experience close to campus. Having I-24 on the west side of town is an unrelated choice which was not a positive for the University.

I don't care if it's on Greenland or MT Blvd or a combination but a "campus district" is needed but will be difficult. I can immediately imagine the problems associated with condemning property for commercial improvements (I'm personally not a fan of the policy) and regardless, you can't build tradition through construction.

No need to condemn property, instead encourage development by partnering with the city to create a overlay for the area that encourages the type of development needed to create the campus district they want. That's all they did to create the Gateway area along Medical Center Parkway. This area should be a much more dense area with restaurants, bars, and shops at street level and apartments for students on upper levels. Developers would definitely be interested if the zoning work was already done for them. MT also owns lots of property in those areas right now that they do nothing with. They could develop some of their properties along E Main Street. I think the areas along East Main, Greenland,and Old Lascassas should be the focus. I could see Old Lascassas turning in to a cool strip. There are several underused parcels on that road. Single story rent houses sitting on 8 acre lots etc.

Reactions: C-Bow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT