ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL McGuire's stint as baseball coach coming to an end?

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
excerpt:

...McGuire has spent the past six seasons as coach and spent the 20 years prior as an assistant. His contract with MTSU, which has paid him $95,000 annually each of the past two years, is up June 30. Neither McGuire nor athletic director Chris Massaro would comment on McGuire’s future with the program, but the recent track record of the team does not bode well.

The Blue Raiders finished 27-27-1 overall and 12-17-1 in C-USA this year, marking the third straight season in which they finished in the bottom third of the conference standings and failed to advance to the conference tournament.....

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/co...m-mcguire-last-game-conference-usa/626344002/

I wasn’t big on the hire at the time but I really wanted him to succeed.

Hopefully we can do better with a hire. Also, I thought baseball coaches made more.

This hiring was botched by Massaro from the get go. Didn't he originally offer Tommy Raffo from Arkansas State? Once Raffo backed out at the 11th hour, he had to scramble and offer McGuire. Its honestly quite shocking that we even offered Raffo who has less than a .500 record at ASU. In all honesty, we probably should have kept McGuire because Massaro will probably bring in someone worse.

IIRC, McGuire had already cleared out his office as interim head coach when Raffo backed out. Hopefully Massaro has learned a thing or two about hiring coaches.

It was time for a change, and I hope it's outside the MT family. Some fresh blood is necessary for that program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT