SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Comcast locally, 1675.

vcuathletics.com

an active vcu message board

FWIW, a few select comments off their message board re the Blue Raiders...

I honestly feel sorry for them. Well, no I don't

How are they? never heard of this school

Middle Tennessee is a very good team. Potts will be tough. We will wear them out with our pressure defense and rebounding.

In fact I remember travelling up to the Boro, Murfreesboro, several years ago to watch us get beat! What an eye opening trip that was! I hated losing to those bastards. Well they were only bastards that one day that they beat us. They play in the Murphy Center where I received a Masters of Arts in Psychology. Funny thing was when I matriculated the Murph was more famous for its concert performances and our women's basketball. Being near Nashville allowed me to see such acts there as Bruce Springstein, Elton John, Billy Joel and Tina Turner. The Boro itself completely changed in the twenty years since my visits that it was hardly recognizable as the town I went to grad school at. And BTW the geographical center obelisk of the state of Tennessee is near the campus thus the school is aptly named!

Middle Tenn. didn't look bad at all tonight against Toledo. They are better than ODU. They have good guards who can create their own shots and score, and they can shoot the 3 well. This could be tougher than the ODU game. We will have to guard the 3-point line better than we did yesterday.

Middle Tenn. also has a big man who can score inside or spread you out and make a 3, but he doesn't have much size. MAC, Hamdy, and even Tillman match up well with him and should be able to handle him. We should be able to score in the paint at will against them, whether it's from our big men or our driving guards.

Did we play Middle TN at the Stu last year? Can't recall.

Wasn't that East Tennessee State University?

dnj:

Blue Raiders eager for home opener against VCU

goblueraiders.com:

MT TO HOLD HOME OPENER AGAINST VCU, WEDNESDAY

GAME INFORMATION

(FULL GAME NOTES)

Hashtag: #TrueFamily, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: MT_MBB
Instagram: @MT_MBB
Facebook: Blue Raider Athletics

Date: Wednesday, Dec. 2
Time: 8:00 p.m.
Teams: VCU (4-2) at Middle Tennessee (4-1)
Stadium: The Murphy Center (11,520)
TV: Fox Sports South (DirecTV 646, Dish Network 420, Comcast 1676 HD)
Radio: WMOT-FM (89.5), WGNS (1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM), Game 2 (102.5/94.9/95.1)
Play-by-Play:Chip Walters
Analysis: Kyle Turnham

Live Audio/Live Streaming | Live Stats

Projected starters, VCU:

G Melvin Johnson (17.3 pts)
G Korey Billbury (11 pts, 5.3 rebounds)
G Jordan Burgess (6.8 pts, 4 rebounds)
F Michael Gilmore (3.3 pts)
F Mo Alie-Cox (9 pts, 4.5 rebs)

Projected starters, MT:

G Giddy Potts (15.4 pts, 4.8 rebs)
G Qua Copeland (7.8 pts)
G Ed Simpson (6 pts)
F Reggie Upshaw (11.4 pts, 6.8 rebs)
F Darnell Harris (9.6 pts, 5.2 rebs)

People are really talking this game up on Twitter, and by people I mean the students. Great to see

excerpt:

...The VCU Rams will travel to the Murphy Athletic Center to take on the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders this Wednesday night in College Basketball action.

The VCU Rams won their 2nd straight game and improved to 4-2 (0-0 A-10) on the season after defeating the Old Dominion Monarchs, 76-67, this past Saturday. VCU hit back-to-back three pointers with under two minutes in the game to help pull away from the Monarchs for the victory. VCU shot 47.9% from the field and 43.5% (10-23) from beyond the arc in the victory. The Rams allowed Old Dominion to shoot 42.9% from the field and 50.0% (11-22) from three-point range. Leading the way for VCU was JeQuan Lewis who had 16 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals from off the bench. On the season, the Rams have been led by Melvin Johnson (17.3 ppg, 2.2 apg, 1.7 spg), Korey Billbury (11.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.3 apg), and Mo Alie-Cox (9.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.5 bpg). Offensively, VCU is averaging 76.5 ppg on 44.2% shooting from the field. The Rams are shooting 38.6% from beyond the arc and have an assist/turnover ratio of 1.33. Defensively, VCU is holding their opponents to an average of 64.7 ppg on 44.6% shooting. The Rams average 11.2 spg and have a turnover margin of 5.8.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders won their 4th straight game to improve to 4-1 (0-0 C-USA) on the season after defeating the Toledo Rockets, 78-70, this past Sunday. Middle Tennessee used a 10-0 run midway through the 2nd half to take control of the game and get the victory. Middle Tennessee shot 52.8% from the field and 43.5% (10-23) from beyond the arc. The Blue Raiders allowed Toledo to shoot 46.4% from the field and held the Rockets to 28.6% (6-21) shooting from three-point range. Leading the way for Middle Tennessee was Giddy Potts who had 15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals. On the season the Blue Raiders have been led by Giddy Potts (15.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg), Reggie Upshaw (11.8 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.2 apg), and Darnell Harris (9.2 ppg, 5.2 rpg). Offensively, Middle Tennessee is averaging 70.0 ppg on 45.7% shooting. The Blue Raiders average 8.2 three-pointers per game on 39.4% three-point shooting. Defensively, Middle Tennessee is allowing their opponents to average 69.0 ppg on 42.2% shooting. The Blue Raiders have a rebound margin of 1.8 and a turnover margin of -1.0.

The Rams are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games following an S.U. win and 7-0 ATS in their last 7 games overall. The Blue Raiders are 16-6-1 ATS in their last 23 home games however, just 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games overall.

VCU is playing well under new head coach Will Wade as the Rams only two losses this season have come in close games against Duke and Wisconsin. Middle Tennessee is a young team but has had a solid start the season and have to be impressed with the improvement that Sophomore Giddy Potts has made over the off season. Middle Tennessee is a tough place to play however, however the Blue Raiders are still a young team that can turn the ball over.....

Anyone know if we recruited Lewis from Dickson Co? He's a quick cat but looks like he gets out of control quite often.

Thus one hurts. We fought and fought but collapsed in the last 3 minutes.

I'm proud of the performance though.

Reactions: C-Bow
FINAL SCORE: VCU makes the plays needed down the stretch to top MT, 62-56. MT couldn't buy a bucket in the waning mins, falling to 4-2.

I didn't think VCU was that much better of a team. Thought we were pretty evenly matched actually, but they were damn quick.

Can't dwell on this loss.

Guard play has got to be better Harris and Upshaw came to play Raymond and Copeland look like they have never seen a press before

Reactions: MidTnBlues
Yes....gaurds need to play tougher defense and handle the rock better. Copeland is improving though. It looks like he is really going to help us.

For once, I'd like a Blue Raider team when presented with an opportunity, grab hold of it and not let it go, Geez.

If we lose the bowl game, this fan base may jump from the ledge. The law of averages has to be in our favor now with winning some of these big-time games.

I only got to see the second half, but teams looked to be evenly matched. We had opportunities, and could have won that game. Raymond was terrible. Can't believe Kermit kept putting him back in!

Damn that was a tough one, they should have got it. "Should Have" is the motto of Blue Raider Athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT