BASKETBALL Making real noise in March Madness no cheap trick

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Times Free Press

Making real noise in March Madness no cheap trick

...Perhaps hoping to make his boosters fully aware of the financial commitment it normally takes to build a mid-major basketball team capable of reaching the round of 32 in consecutive NCAA men's tournaments — as the Blue Raiders just did — Massaro said:

"If we want to have a big-time basketball program with a national brand, then we need a more robust Blue Raider Athletic Association and we have to fill Murphy Center. When you look at programs we benchmark, like Wichita State, VCU and Butler, those are things that separate us. We had an attendance increase this past season and we appreciate the growth, but we need an even deeper commitment."

As this 2017 NCAA tourney nears its completion with only four schools still around to compete for its title, there is little doubt that money talks.

Even Gonzaga — the lone non-Power Five conference school in a Final Four that also includes North Carolina, Oregon and South Carolina — has an annual operating budget of nearly $7.4 million, which is similar to that of the Tar Heels ($7.5 million) and more than the Ducks ($6.8 million) or Gamecocks ($6.82 million).

Given that the only other non-Power Five conference school among the Sweet 16 participants was Butler, which is believed to have an annual budget of around $4.5 million, it's easy to conclude that making a significant run during March Madness is no cheap trick.

Especially at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's level ($1.74 million) or MTSU's slightly better neighborhood of $2.5 million.

"The gap (between the haves and have-nots) is starting to widen some," UTC athletic director David Blackburn said Monday. "Revenue sharing and television contracts are going to continue to create an even bigger divide."

Some would look at the current financial struggles at ESPN and the alternate internet options available for free and surmise that most schools would be wise to plan to make do with less in the coming years.

Blackburn believes that could be toughest on those "Next Five" conference schools such as Big East member Butler, because those conferences are caught in the middle as they attempt to provide a taste of true major college basketball at a lower cost.

"They're trying to keep up with wants as well as needs," Blackburn said. "We're just concerned about need at our level. Are we providing proper medical care? Do we have enough academic support personnel? Things like that." .....

I know this is a small potatoes concern to the big bucks needed but....

This past week, I went over to the MT website wanting to kick in a little money online. While it's possible to contribute to the BRAA online, the options are fairly limited to the traditional BRAA packages. I wanted to kick in some spare money online without BRAA benefits. Additionally, I would have liked to have donated online specifically for basketball. These sort of options to give online just didn't seem available.

At that particular moment, I wasn't looking for BRAA membership benefits. I was just wanting to try to do my part however small to try to help out with bball since it is March and bball is at the forefront. All of this may be along the lines of something like a suggestion box submission, but one would think flexibility in giving donations online would be available. It sure seems like MT needs the money. Again this certainly isn't big donor bucks, but I would think the AD would like as many people as possible to be donating varieties of $25, $40, $50+ or whatever amount whenever people can.

I know I would appreciate MT providing the convenience of flexible giving options online in addition to online traditional BRAA plans or whatever the case may be.

I know you can call the BRAA office (615-898-2210) any giving can always be done with a live person in the braa office who can help them set up monthly payments. A similar point about giving was posted a short while back and the BRAA was made aware of it. Hopefully the on line thing is being improved. But a live person to talk to is probably better if the giving is not from a selection of options on line, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukewayne
I recently tried to renew online, but when it would come time to pay, it would kick me over to some other screen that I could not get out of. Never could get to my cart to just pay for my 110% renewal. Finally just gave up and mailed them a check.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT