ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL JUCO guard Jalen Perry

MTLynn

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Kermit kicked him off the team August 2015 and now he is motivated to play MT

JUCO guard Jalen Perry commits to UAB basketball

By Drew Champlin

UAB needed some immediate veteran perimeter help, and the Blazers got it.

Jalen Perry, a 6-foot-3 guard from John A. Logan College in Cartersville, Ill., announced his commitment to sign with UAB in the spring signing period. Perry made his official visit to UAB last weekend.

The spring signing period begins on Wednesday.

"UAB was definitely the choice for me because I really just connected with Coach (Rob) Ehsan, all the guys and the whole team really well," said Perry, who called Ehsan today. "I felt like I was already a part of the team from being on a visit with them. They showed me a really great time and I felt like UAB was the place for me."

Perry has cancelled planned official visits for Northern Kentucky, Illinois State and Washington State.

Jalen Perry
Perry scored 19.5 ppg for John Logan this season, shooting 50 percent from the field and 46 percent from 3-point land. He added 5.2 rebounds per game and 2.5 assists per game.

"I think I'm going to fit in really well," Perry said. "I think we're going to win a lot of games. I think we're going to really compete. I had a lot of fun playing with the guys. Everybody can do something on the court really well. Hopefully I can help lead the team and we can win a conference championship and go to the NCAA Tournament."

Perry can immediately challenge for big minutes on the perimeter for UAB as the Blazers lost three key guards to graduation.

"I'm really a scorer," Perry said. "I can score from all three levels. I can shoot from three, pull up from mid-range and also finish. I like to get my guys involved. I like to run the floor and defend. I take pride in that - that's one of my biggest things. I feel like I can defend really well."

Originally from Louisville, Ky., Perry started his career at Middle Tennessee but was dismissed for "violating athletic department policy" before playing a game.

He quickly made his mark at John A. Logan, scoring 13.1 ppg as a freshman in 2015-16. Now, he'll play against Middle Tennessee at least twice a year.

"I feel like I have a lot to prove to them, and that's really all I have to say," Perry said.

I really wanted this player to work out at MT.

Hate, absolutely hate playing against players who were once on MT's roster and now we'll play against Perry 4+ times over the next two years.

Apparently, the young man has good ability. I imagine Kermit didn't want to have to see such a talented young player go.

What's with UAB and former MT players? Football QB and now in BBall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT