ADVERTISEMENT

Indoor Practice Facility

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Seeing on Twitter that the IPF was announced yesterday but no track surrounded the field. Thoughts?

As stated elsewhere without a track such an facility does nothing for long range planning as far as extensive rennovation of The Murph. Unless we are planning to do away with indoor track meets these renderings can't possibly be what is/would be considered.

Gotta think/hope these renderings were just to have something to show potential recruits.

Originally posted by AustinLewis:
Seeing on Twitter that the IPF was announced yesterday but no track surrounded the field. Thoughts?
HAven't seen any 'announcement' about it. Saw some IPF renderings on an easel in the stadium club last night and a flyer about a stength and conditioning facility/improvements that was laid on our chairs. But no announcement. About either. Impression that the strength and conditioning facility comes first was what I came away with.

My sense was that both these things were primarily things that were used in the recent recruiting battles. I wish we could get a state of the athletic program from Massaro and McPhee on these things. My sense of things, which could be very wrong, is that none of this is about to break ground in 2015, 2016, etc.

The strength and conditioning facility is where the weight room is now. They will start renovations in May after the semester is over. It will take roughly 3 weeks. It's happening as we speak. They still are raising money for it.

The IPF is being privately financed and they are trying to find big dollar donors for it. Once they get a majority of the money they will announce it and raise the rest. As far as the track is concerned they have renderings of the IPF with a track in it but costs go up considerably. This one pictures is going to run between 13.5 and 15 million. It is the same as the one South Carolina built recently.

They may be putting the indoor track in the tennis facility they are building off campus. So donr be upset they might not be putting the track in this building.

I've noticed whoever runs the Floyd faithful twitter site pushing for donations for an improved weight room and saw Keith chime in a few times. Keith seems like a respectable guy and seems to be doing a good job in his role. Anyways anyone have a link to these pictures? I haven't seen anything
Posted from Rivals Mobile

1623390_10102368692548325_7871252066361535764_n.jpg

I'm only asking this as a question not as a slam. Will there be sports like T&F, Golf, and CC in the next 20 years? It seems to me that funding for athletics is going to be tight(er) and is it necessary to host those just because we always have?

As long as the NCAA mandates a number of sports necessary to be classified D-1 schools will continue to have so-called non-revenue sports. Conference regulations and Title 9 also must be considered.

As for funding getting tighter, not at the top level - Those schools are trying to decide whether to gold-plate the players lockers or to expand the nearest body of water so they can add rowing - LOL

Totally get it. Sports like soccer are gaining momentum and I could just see a replacement for a couple of sports that may go by the wayside. I like the renderings. Would like to see it as a reality! Renderings are neat but I'll never forget about the renderings that I had seen of Floyd before the final blue prints/cad prints were released. Completely different concepts......

Originally posted by MTFNBY5:
As long as the NCAA mandates a number of sports necessary to be classified D-1 schools will continue to have so-called non-revenue sports. Conference regulations and Title 9 also must be considered.

As for funding getting tighter, not at the top level - Those schools are trying to decide whether to gold-plate the players lockers or to expand the nearest body of water so they can add rowing - LOL

We need this thing to become a reality. Having an IPF is like having nukes in the recruiting arms race.

Does any school really need an IPF? Probably not. But you better have one if you want to keep up with the Jones's.

I completely agree with Doug. We didn't have any real flips this year in recruiting which was remarkable and has showed what being in C-USA has done for us. If we add the IPF, we could start getting kids to flip in order to come to us on a much more regular basis.

Originally posted by JohnDavidBlue:
... I like the renderings. Would like to see it as a reality! Renderings are neat but I'll never forget about the renderings that I had seen of Floyd before the final blue prints/cad prints were released. Completely different concepts......
It does look sharp, and if that were to be the finished look to it, that would be great, but I'm like you, renderings are always better than the facility that ends up being built. I just hope it doesn't end up being a look-a-like of the TN Livestock Pavilion. I see a brick and concrete facade and get a feeling we'll end up with more metal and aluminum as it usually happens. A majority of the people to coming to football games at Floyd would be walking right by the indoor facility. It would be nice if it doesn't feel like they walking by a horse barn.

Still would like to see an indoor track addressed.

I doubt they will cheapen it an eye sore. I would think that when these prior facilities were built the university was not bringing in the money they are now. Look at the student union building and the science building and the things that have been built in the past five years. The campus is looking incredible over the last couple of years.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I believe MidTnblues that you are comparing apples to oranges. Those buildings you referenced were built primarily with state dollars for academic and student needs. Any athletic dept. facility improvement will require athletic dept funding using fundraising along with other sources. IIRC, and I hope someone could confirm for me, but the tennis center under construction in conjunction with the city/county still has not been completely funded (even though it is under construction) and/or some so-called frills have been cut.

MT really needs a sugar-daddy (mama would do - let's not be sexist) or two who love athletics and are able to make huge contributions. They haven't been found.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT