ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING How would you rate the 2020 recruiting class?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Obviously more guys on the table going down the stretch to the February signing day.

Current guys committed, not signed, are:

-Terry Fields
- Zoe Roberts
- Andy Garcia
- JaMichael Thompson
- Frank Peasant
- Terry Wilkins
- Tramel Logan Jr.

As currently constructed, I'll give the class a solid B. That would likely bump up to a B+ or A- if they can keep all the non-signed guys in the fold.

Losing the QB Daniels to Kansas is a big loss IMO. Had some upside to his game.

Out of the signed guys, Jaylin Lane is my favorite. Dude has wheels and snags everything. I'll admit, there are a couple projects in the class, but there is potential for some upside with guys like: Wilson Kelly and Jordan Palmer.

I think it's a must to hold onto backers Andy Garcia and Frank Peasant. Both have official offers from teams in big boy, power conferences.

It's going to be very intriguing down the stretch. I think it's going to be difficult to hold on to Garcia/Peasant and Zoe Roberts.

Too early to tell for me. It's concerning that we had a lot of players not sign early. We will most certainly lose some of them.

The players that did sign, for the most part, look pretty good. Vincent Dinkins is my favorite signing thus far.

If the Jaylin Lane kid was 3-4 inches taller he would be a 4 star player with offers from every SEC school out there. He is going to be a special talent here at MT. He will likely be our next productive star receiver following in the footsteps of Richie James and Ty Lee. He will 100% be on the field as a true freshman next season.

5 O-linemen but I imagine they will all probably be redshirted. It takes them at least a year to get acclimated to the college game and grow.

I remember attending a BRAA Signing Day get together in the Hall of Fame several years ago. Stock got up to speak and let the air out of the room in what is supposed to be a big rah-rah fan motivator. Although probably true, the first thing he said was, “most of these guys won’t help us next year.” I thought Roy Mewbourne was gonna faint.
True story.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
This class is decent....so far. But I have no confidence we will retain our highest rated non-signees (Garcia and Peasant).

Also, I am still baffled on the strategy about our recruiting. I just saw the DNJ tweet this week about the player of the year in the area. I can't remember his name but it was a LB from Blackman. He was our ideal size (6-0 205lbs) and he had a few offers from programs similar to us. As far as I can tell, we have not offered the kid and, to be honest, I have no idea why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiders_55
This class is decent....so far. But I have no confidence we will retain our highest rated non-signees (Garcia and Peasant).

Also, I am still baffled on the strategy about our recruiting. I just saw the DNJ tweet this week about the player of the year in the area. I can't remember his name but it was a LB from Blackman. He was our ideal size (6-0 205lbs) and he had a few offers from programs similar to us. As far as I can tell, we have not offered the kid and, to be honest, I have no idea why.

This is what drives me nuts. For the life of me, I cannot understand not recruiting local kids.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
Starting to wonder if our staff is feuding with local area coaches.
Maybe Rick doesn't want to worry with family and friends influencing local players.

If Rick signs a player who is from out of the area then coaches and teammates become the biggest influence.

If the Jaylin Lane kid was 3-4 inches taller he would be a 4 star player with offers from every SEC school out there. He is going to be a special talent here at MT. He will likely be our next productive star receiver following in the footsteps of Richie James and Ty Lee. He will 100% be on the field as a true freshman next season.
He gets tackled like twice in his nine-minute film.

He gets tackled like twice in his nine-minute film.

Yeah he is an amazing athlete. It is a joke that he is rated at 2 stars. He should be a RR 5.6 IMO. I wonder if we can submit his senior year film and request a review. Make sure they know Rutgers came on hard

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT