ADVERTISEMENT

Head Baseball Coach

Potential was shown and I'm good with a chance given. Barring the contract being reasonable...ie buyout.

Potential was shown and I'm good with a chance given. Barring the contract being reasonable...ie buyout.
I saw some bright spots but I need to see the contract. He didn’t really do much to warrant it outside of going 2-2 in the conference tournament.

Wins this season:

25-30 VCU
26-30 SEMO
8-40 St Bonaventure (x4)
37-24 Evansville (1-2 lost series)
21-34 TN Tech
33-26 WKU
16-34 FIU (x3)
36-24 Lipscomb (1-1)
21-37 Rice
39-20 Belmont
28-31 LT (2-2 one win came in tournament)
45-14 DBU (1-2 lost series)
17-36 UAB
38-19 UTSA (1-3 win came in tournament)

I saw some bright spots but I need to see the contract. He didn’t really do much to warrant it outside of going 2-2 in the conference tournament.
Hey. He's got those Carolina ties. Gotta keep that going ya know.

Man I am getting beat up on Twitter questioning the hire. Am I missing something? Not overly impressed outside of the fact he followed me back almost immediately.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
You all realize that our leaders don't even try? Every decision is the least path of resistance. Here was my reaction to this before it even happened...

...this wouldn't surprise me in the least given he's (guess what) another South Carolina guy. SMDH.

In an era when a current Sun Belt member has won the national title and multiple non-power schools routinely dot the Top 25, showing you can lead the team to .500 does not merit a contract. He had about a .500 record in six years as head coach at ODU, never finished first, never won a conference tournament, and never went to the NCAA Tournament. His best years were the first couple with the other coaches players before rolling off three consecutive losing seasons. Ended up leaving baseball to be a high school athletics administrator.

The mindset of this administration has so thoroughly seeped into the minds of the fans even die hard members of the base say you know it's been so awful. 500 ain't all that bad. We had a once proud baseball history. And football for that matter. What happened? Well a thesis could be written on that.

But if they do retain him. Just another point to validate my now 1,619 days since I set foot on the campus.

I hope we are all wrong and he ends up being a home run hire. For all we know he could have learned a lot from his stint at ODU and since then. I just think open it up and see what else is out there before doing this.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
You all realize that our leaders don't even try? Every decision is the least path of resistance.
This seems to be pretty much their standard operating procedure in most cases. The instances where there has been an effort put forth in coaching hires, the record has not been particularly good. Any success there is based on luck than identification of a candidate that can build a program and has demonstrated that.

I hope Meyer can be successful. I have no particular ill will towards him, but it does not inspire excitement or any expectations. Maybe that's the intent, the message. We have people that don't want to get out of their comfort zone. Forget about a Championship culture. If it happens, it's luck and an indvidual coach's hard work, nothing else.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Yeah this one is my first big hire as a fan and it really leaves a lot to be desired. At a minimum they should have been interviewing other candidates. The team did have some bright spots this year but I’m not optimistic about the future. I am hoping for the best but expecting more .500 seasons.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Gamecock website says that he is a great guy but is more of an introvert and that is not conducive for recruiting. He must hire some dynamic assistants to have success in recrruiting. Has Massaro released anything as to why he was hired, especially in regards to recruiting?

. Am I missing something?
No.

People like nice guys. At MT, being nice and having Carolina ties means more than winning.

People like to give him the excuse of a weak pitching staff. They fail to acknowledge that weakness occurred on his watch as pitching coach. Compare the pitching with Meyers here vs Bunn (who just got fired at Houston).

What we needed was an excellent recruiter as HC, to rehire Bunn as pitching coach, and keep Nichols as hitting coach.

Instead, we got the easy hire. We know how this ends. Five years from now Meyers will be a juco coach after a ~.500 career at MT.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Of all the damn SEC programs to choose to latch on to, MTSU chooses South Effin' Carolina. Just a bit better than Vandy. Who is MTSU going to latch onto next? Maybe a Big10 school? Lets latch onto Rutgers!

I guess it's a good thing that I've learned to stop caring about this place, because I can only imagine how the transgressions of our "leadership" would continue to boil my blood if I did.

As I watched the Tennessee - Southern Miss Super Regional in Hattiesburg (could you imagine hosting UT for a Super Regional??), and watching them be just one strike away from the College World Series, I think about the path this program was on and where it is now. I think back to that 2009 season when MT won 44 games. At that time MT was making its 13th appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Southern Miss was making just its 10th but advanced to its first ever CWS that year. Since that 2009 season, USM has been to nine NCAA Tournaments with two regional championships. MT hasn't been back since. At all.

And the guy who failed to do it at Old Dominion is going to do it here??

Just another example of clown show going on in Cope and Murphy. SMDH

I guess it's a good thing that I've learned to stop caring about this place, because I can only imagine how the transgressions of our "leadership" would continue to boil my blood if I did.

As I watched the Tennessee - Southern Miss Super Regional in Hattiesburg (could you imagine hosting UT for a Super Regional??), and watching them be just one strike away from the College World Series, I think about the path this program was on and where it is now. I think back to that 2009 season when MT won 44 games. At that time MT was making its 13th appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Southern Miss was making just its 10th but advanced to its first ever CWS that year. Since that 2009 season, USM has been to nine NCAA Tournaments with two regional championships. MT hasn't been back since. At all.

People have failed as HC at one stop and succeeded at another. Not defending the hire, but that does happen. I just wish they had opened it up to other candidates.

Never forget this either: Massaro wanted to hire Watson Brown as his first major hire when he became AD. Thank god Watson didn't take the job, unless you want to argue he would have at least gotten himself fired in 3-4 years and possibly Massaro in the process.

It's the blind leading the blind leading the blind at MTSU. And they will never acknowledge that despite blunder after blunder. We are all just a bunch of idiot internet guys in their minds. LOL.

McPhee and Smith/BOT clearly know what they're doing!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT