ADVERTISEMENT

Have they fired him yet?

Ummmm....which one?

They literally all need to be fired. McPhee, Massaro, Steve Smith, the entire Board, Stockstill, McDevitt......

Saying they ALL need to be fired ruins the credibility of the statement because surely they don't all need to be fired, right ?

but my god. It's true. The entire university is stricken with malignant cancer. And the only way you can cure something like that is to cut it ALL OUT.

Fire every damn one of them

I know Lee reads Twitter. Tag him, Massaro and McPhee asking for a change

I know it does nothing, but maybe it at least annoys them a bit. I sent a message already and pointed out we were 0-4 against newcomers, basically already passed by from new programs.

We are in a free fall.

I say there is a 1 in 100 chance they fire him. I wish I was wrong, but we all know.

But good freaking Lord, they HAVE to at least force some staff changes. They can't say all is well. But still, probably a less than 50% chance of even that happening.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
It is what it is. Now is such a critical time to be cultivating next generations fanbase too because the younger crowd just isn't in to sports as much as it used to be. Being good now is very important for that reason, amongst many others such as realignment.

They don't give a shit though. They're all geriatric boomers probably scoping out assisted living facilities versus trying to run a Division 1 athletics program and large public University. Heaven forbid we put some young, fresh blood in leadership positions and let them run with it.....

There are truly not words in the dictionary that describe my feelings. It is probably a good thing I'm several states away from the area.

Reactions: magaraider
Ummmm....which one?

They literally all need to be fired. McPhee, Massaro, Steve Smith, the entire Board, Stockstill, McDevitt......

Saying they ALL need to be fired ruins the credibility of the statement because surely they don't all need to be fired, right ?

but my god. It's true. The entire university is stricken with malignant cancer. And the only way you can cure something like that is to cut it ALL OUT.

Fire every damn one of them

those in control of MT adhere to a certain mindset. Everything they touch eventually turns to sh*t. They're like vampires who suck every ounce of blood from the productive living. Once they sink their fangs into a productive soul there is very little chance that soul will survive. The vampires will remain alive as long as blood remains in their target but eventually the blood will run out.

They do not care about the fans perspective. They only care about what they see through their eyes. One tough season where the ball didn’t bounce their way. They won back to back bowls the previous years. That’s pretty dang good. Stock will bounce back and before long will be back on the 6-6 train with a trip to the Bahamas at year end.

Get out while you still can, NOTHING WILL CHANGE!!!

They do not care about the fans perspective. They only care about what they see through their eyes. One tough season where the ball didn’t bounce their way. They won back to back bowls the previous years. That’s pretty dang good. Stock will bounce back and before long will be back on the 6-6 train with a trip to the Bahamas at year end.

Get out while you still can, NOTHING WILL CHANGE!!!
An unfortunate truth

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Three Stooges Dancing GIF

He’ll have to retire, they can’t afford to pay two coaches.

I’ve been digging in with a couple of the old sources. He’d have to be assured he has some say in the next hire, mostly to keep his staff in tact (with Brent keeping a prominent role, of course.)

Two names worth keeping an eye on, in the sense that they are admired by Massaro, Rick, and Brent: Manny Diaz and Charlie Weis, Jr. The former is probably too expensive, the latter probably too young, but we’ll see.

Reactions: Matt Dossett

I’ve been digging in with a couple of the old sources. He’d have to be assured he has some say in the next hire, mostly to keep his staff in tact (with Brent keeping a prominent role, of course.)

Two names worth keeping an eye on, in the sense that they are admired by Massaro, Rick, and Brent: Manny Diaz and Charlie Weis, Jr. The former is probably too expensive, the latter probably too young, but we’ll see.
If this is true I will not be back. Ever. I told Hans I would be back and donate to Build Back Blue when Stock and company are gone but if this is the case, I’d rather take my chances getting shot going to Memphis during football season.
To continue this inbred thinking and hiring at MTSU is absolutely unacceptable.

Why would any incoming coach worth a grain of salt want anyone from this bag of bones staff? All are proven to be satisfied with mediocrity and lazy and you cannot build a program with them.
As for Brent, he should see this as a blessing. He can now go and prove himself out from under the shadow of his diddy. If he’s the coach a lot of people say he is. He hasn’t proven anything here. IMO (yet)

Reactions: RaiderDeez
If there ad ANY modicum of truth to Rick getting a say in his son”s tenure or other coaches who remain or are hired, I’m done as well.

What is this!?
Here’s what I mean, and how this thing builds on itself:

1) Massaro, McPhee, and the board don’t really have an appetite for firing Stock. I think it’s fair to say they know things are not going well, but he’s their guy. For them to point the finger at him would be hypocritical, so they simply won’t do it.

2) Because the program was left out of the last round of realignment, CUSA replaced good programs with bad, dwindling attendance and attraction of new donors, there is a money crunch. Future budgets aren’t what they were projected to be 5, 10, 15 years ago. With that being said, we all know D1 athletics (and large state universities) are run like a Ponzi scheme of sorts. There’s always money hidden somewhere if enough people want to do something - but we come back around to #1: do they want to use some of that “hidden” money to fire their guy? Doubtful.

3) I understand most of you guys feel a certain way, personally, about Stock. 20 years of mediocre results will drive a fan-alumni base crazy (for good reason.) He has not stuck with it because he likes the paycheck and doesn’t care about the results. He loves the place and still feels he is the best man for the job. He’s wrong - there’s enough evidence to show he’s wrong - but his error is not based in evil intent or laziness, it’s just ego and pride.

4) Let’s say McPhee and/or the board knows it’s time to make a change. I believe this to be true. Because of the budgetary constraints, and because they know and care about Stock, the only path forward that protects everyone’s ego is to appeal to him to step aside. This decision is made easier if they guarantee to him some concession(s) in the form of an athletic administrative position, protection for his current staff, etc. If they can guarantee his replacement promotes his legacy instead of trashes it, there is a realistic path to him stepping down this year.

Lastly, I’ll just say losing sucks for everyone. It sucks for the fanbase, no doubt about it. You guys spend your Saturdays spending your hard earned dollar on a bad product. It’s maddening at times. I get it. But it is brutal for the people inside the program. The players sacrifice their bodies in an effort to build success for their teams and their future prospects as players. Losing at this rate makes it all feel pointless. The same is true for the older coaches, Stock and the pieces of his staff that have been in Murfreesboro forever. They are as committed to the cause as anyone else, and they see their careers dwindling away with each bad result. There are ways to handle this with grace, and hopefully for everyone’s sake the correct resolution comes quickly.

1) Massaro, McPhee, and the board don’t really have an appetite for firing Stock. I think it’s fair to say they know things are not going well, but he’s their guy. For them to point the finger at him would be hypocritical, so they simply won’t do it.

2) Because the program was left out of the last round of realignment, CUSA replaced good programs with bad, dwindling attendance and attraction of new donors, there is a money crunch. Future budgets aren’t what they were projected to be 5, 10, 15 years ago. With that being said, we all know D1 athletics (and large state universities) are run like a Ponzi scheme of sorts. There’s always money hidden somewhere if enough people want to do something - but we come back around to #1: do they want to use some of that “hidden” money to fire their guy? Doubtful.

3) I understand most of you guys feel a certain way, personally, about Stock. 20 years of mediocre results will drive a fan-alumni base crazy (for good reason.) He has not stuck with it because he likes the paycheck and doesn’t care about the results. He loves the place and still feels he is the best man for the job. He’s wrong - there’s enough evidence to show he’s wrong - but his error is not based in evil intent or laziness, it’s just ego and pride.

4) Let’s say McPhee and/or the board knows it’s time to make a change. I believe this to be true. Because of the budgetary constraints, and because they know and care about Stock, the only path forward that protects everyone’s ego is to appeal to him to step aside. This decision is made easier if they guarantee to him some concession(s) in the form of an athletic administrative position, protection for his current staff, etc. If they can guarantee his replacement promotes his legacy instead of trashes it, there is a realistic path to him stepping down this year.

Lastly, I’ll just say losing sucks for everyone. It sucks for the fanbase, no doubt about it. You guys spend your Saturdays spending your hard earned dollar on a bad product. It’s maddening at times. I get it. But it is brutal for the people inside the program. The players sacrifice their bodies in an effort to build success for their teams and their future prospects as players. Losing at this rate makes it all feel pointless. The same is true for the older coaches, Stock and the pieces of his staff that have been in Murfreesboro forever. They are as committed to the cause as anyone else, and they see their careers dwindling away with each bad result. There are ways to handle this with grace, and hopefully for everyone’s sake the correct resolution comes quickly.

This is like Blockbuster’s board refusing to get into streaming in the beginning because late fees were 12% of their revenue. The unwillingness to move in a different direction for short term funding losses cost them everything.

If we take the hit to move away from Stock, then that initial cost will be offset by the increase in new ticket sales and donations by those that refused to give while he is coach.

The lack of accountability and self-reflection to put MT in a position where you can’t fire a coach even if you want to is astonishing.

Chris Massaro and Sydney McPhee lack integrity. Both are low character people. Absolutely awful people. If either had an ounce of integrity, they would resign for allowing a university’s athletic department to be in this position under their watch.

I can make it real easy for them. I’ll just email Hans, Lee and even Joe Bales to request that they take my name, address, phone number, and email address out of every database they have.
Don’t send me another thing. No more emails, no alumni magazines, no glossy full color direct mail pieces or calls from student athletes at dinner time asking for money.

They continue run that place like a family business. Not like a major state university with a FBS athletic program. The next time I run into Steve Smith I will have no problem telling him so. I’m still kicking myself for the donation I made to “his family’s baseball stadium” 15 years ago. I let Roy Mewbourne talk me into that.

Last edited:
Ol Roy Melbourne, got to keep an eye on that whippersnapper! He could sell ice to an Eskimo!

Ol Roy Melbourne, got to keep an eye on that whippersnapper! He could sell ice to an Eskimo!
Roy leveraged me at a good time. New alum, new money, post Slappies, Lansden had left for Memphis, Dasher was owning Memphis, and Tommy West was drawing 4,100 for a primetime ECU game on ESPN. Good times while it lasted but it went south in a hurry after 2009. My last bowl game trip was the Armed Forces Bowl in 2013 in Ft. Worth.

Last edited:
What is the buyout number? I think the Admin knows they are somewhat handcuffed because of the $$$, but just find it somewhere. Hell, slowdown construction or where is the conference exit fee money? At this rate the construction is useless. The program will be dead and even Judy will probably kick us out to the OVC. Which by the way I think UTM could beat this team.

What if they go to Stock and ask him to retire and take an Admin position, allow Brent to stay on and we give you $500K. The admin job could be fund raising or something that he sucks at and they pay him a $100K salary. He’s still around, but out of the way. Save your legacy, save your kid and pocket some cash.

Remember a while back he donated a big check to the university right? So at some level he is willing to part with $. They have to try some sort of negotiation. They know this thing is dead.

Here is what is weird.....Why isn't, at the very least, Chris Massaro getting fired?

Does McPhee's dumbass seriously think he is the best we can do at AD? It would cost nothing to fire him, and he very clearly needs to go.

This entire situation is truly insane. I've never seen or heard of a situation like this at another D1 university, or anywhere actually. It really is a bunch of small town family politics/business. The results don't matter. Their friendships and relationships take priority over everything else.

It's a shame there isn't a young journalist out there hungry to investigate and report on it all. I guess I see why it's not appealing considering our tiny fan base, nobody would read or care about the article. But man, this is IN-SANE.

Last edited:
Here is what is weird.....Why isn't, at the very least, Chris Massaro getting fired?

Does McPhee's dumbass seriously think he is the best we can do at AD? It would cost nothing to fire him, and he very clearly needs to go.

This entire situation is truly insane. I've never seen or heard of a situation like this at another D1 university. It really is a bunch of small town family politics/business. The results don't matter. Their friendships and relationships take priority over everything else.

It's a shame there isn't a young journalist out there hungry to investigate and report on it all. I guess I see why it's not appealing considering our tiny fan base, nobody would read or care about the article. But man, this is IN-SANE.
It's been asked...

Curiously, does anyone even know where McPhee is at? I'm still wondering if he hasn't spent the last two weeks in the Bahamas? We know he chose going to the Lady Raiders tournament over staying behind to honor senior day for the football team as he was spotted in photos. Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed for the men's tournament this week too and is oblivious to the situation. Wait! Never mind. Answered my own question. He is always oblivious to the situation.

I get that this is way more complicated than giving a guy a gold watch and a pink slip, and wishing him good luck in future endeavors. If M&M are worried about looking like hypocrites then that ship has sailed. They get told everyday that things are
not going well and they are bad at their job. Everyone in their line of work should be able to make the hard decisions and move forward for the better of the university. This is what makes it even more criminal in my mind.
Because of the above, we have been left behind in a bad conference with no money, no fans and no donors that want to give while we are in this mess. The future is very dim money wise if we stay in CUSA, and no one returns. The hidden money you mentioned is hidden in the top drawer of Sidney McPhees desk. 4 mil of the total we received from the conf exit fee is tucked away and earmarked for the buyout of Stock. He needs to use it, or just shut this thing down altogether. We ain’t getting any more money or donors in this state of disarray. I’ll just go and find me a P5 team to root for and call it a day.
Massaro stated in the last BRAA meeting that there would be changes, he also said there would not be massive firings, but things will change. He needs to address those pretty quickly . I don’t think he has the courage to do that himself. He is already so hated by so many in this community I don’t think will face the masses on his own. Maybe Lee or Hans will have to do His dirty work.
Firings are a fact of life and happen everyday. People get old ( trust me I’m one) and move on to other things. There is a lot of travel and volunteering to do for these guys if they want to make a difference and stay committed to their cause.
I appreciate what Stock has done here, and hope this can be handled with grace. We all deserve that.
But someone needs to handle it. Soon

Last edited:

No one is getting fired. No one is leaving.

They don't care. They don't view on-field competitive-ness as a job requirement.

With all due respect to the old alma mater, MTSU is not the pinnacle of academic nor athletic achievement. Like most other G5 programs and regional universities, these should be middle tier places where you move on to bigger and more prestigious places. Yet, these are 3 men that, as far as I know, have neither pursued nor were sniffed at larger schools up the food chain. They've crafted a lucrative, easy, no effort place where they can install their buddies and sons and there is no pressure to perform. It's a sweet gig, I have to admit.

That's all you need to know about how and why we are where we are and why there will be no changes.

He didn't get an extension for this year so his buyout dropped. I'm not a premium member here anymore and can't check the contract Austin posted. But pretty sure the buyout is under $5m now.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
He didn't get an extension for this year so his buyout dropped. I'm not a premium member here anymore and can't check the contract Austin posted. But pretty sure the buyout is under $5m now.
If we’re going on what Austin tweeted last September (2022), and the base is still $821K, that means after getting an additional year after last season, he’s now signed through December 2029, and the full buyout would be $4.926M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT