ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Guesses on attendance for blackout game?

I am actually trying to get media credentials from the athletics department so I won’t do it yet. I think if I can get approval to essentially be the guy that asks more difficult questions during press conferences that it would be much more beneficial in the long run. Stay tuned…

A bit of unsolicited advice you will thank me for later. Absolutely do not do anything like that if you believe your status here is supportive of media credentials. You need to pick one or the other. If you want that then you need draw a red line in the sand for yourself that you’re a journalist. You can’t be a fan and a journalist. So pick a side.

And frankly it’s far more important for you (anyone) to sit in and ask the tough questions than it is to make a meaningless gesture that won’t change a thing.

I imagine it’s just university staff asking those questions in the post game Tuesday night. There weren’t any real media there right? I mean those questions to Stock were the kind of shit that happens in dictatorships with state run media. It’s like the people asking the few soft questions were at a different event.

Bottom line. If you want to be taken seriously. Be serious. And demonstrate the fundamentals of journalism that damn near everyone else has thrown by the wayside. But in your case for a fan run site you have to err on the side of being uber objective. Which is something that is desperately needed because there damn sure isn’t any accountability being held anywhere else. DM me if you want to discuss further.

My only problem with doing it is you know someone is going to come up to us and ask us to remove them or leave. I really don't want to leave if I have already made the effort to go to the game, but if I wear the bag, I also don't want to take it off.
Just keep moving around

A bit of unsolicited advice you will thank me for later. Absolutely do not do anything like that if you believe your status here is supportive of media credentials. You need to pick one or the other. If you want that then you need draw a red line in the sand for yourself that you’re a journalist. You can’t be a fan and a journalist. So pick a side.
This ^.

This was hard for me when I was publisher. And it was hard for me when I was doing more stuff with GoMiddle.

Despite doing this off and on for the better part of 10 years, I still slip up.
And frankly it’s far more important for you (anyone) to sit in and ask the tough questions than it is to make a meaningless gesture that won’t change a thing.

I imagine it’s just university staff asking those questions in the post game Tuesday night. There weren’t any real media there right? I mean those questions to Stock were the kind of shit that happens in dictatorships with state run media. It’s like the people asking the few soft questions were at a different event.

Bottom line. If you want to be taken seriously. Be serious. And demonstrate the fundamentals of journalism that near everyone else has thrown by the wayside. But in your case for a fan run site you have to err on the side of being uber objective. Which is something that is desperately needed because there damn sure isn’t any accountability being held anywhere else. DM me if you want to discuss further.
Being objective is key.

We ALL have our own opinions / beliefs / biases. But as a journalist, we have to be aware and limit those bias.

The people need a Peter Doocy / Jim Acosta type person there.

You HAVE to. Else it is a pump smoke up rear orifice and as someone has stated, Rick going down the play by play summary.

I actually went to this game. It was the first game that I’ve gone to for a while. It was completely lame! I ended up leaving after Q1. For starters, the box office sold me a ticket in the visitors section. There wasn’t much MT energy at all. I can’t believe that once upon a time, this used to be the highlight of my lame ass life.

Honestly energy is part of the issue. At the FAU game last year two buddies and I sat in the chairbacks. No one around us stood up or screamed. I almost felt bad just clapping. And we won that game handily! I'm very much a scream every down type of fan and was severely out of place.

I've been told the visitors side is better but I prefer to sit on our sideline.

Reactions: ewglenn
Honestly energy is part of the issue. At the FAU game last year two buddies and I sat in the chairbacks. No one around us stood up or screamed. I almost felt bad just clapping. And we won that game handily! I'm very much a scream every down type of fan and was severely out of place.

I've been told the visitors side is better but I prefer to sit on our sideline.
The visitors side is much better for that but I’ve seen the same issue. It’s like a funeral on the home side. We normally get a little loud so I’m sure we upset a lot of people around us. 🤷‍♂️

It was very noticeable that CBSSN went out of their way to not show TV shots of the crowd during the broadcast. The shots that did make it on screen, were bad. But we all knew this would be the case.

It was very noticeable that CBSSN went out of their way to not show TV shots of the crowd during the broadcast. The shots that did make it on screen, were bad. But we all knew this would be the case.
ESPN did same thing last week. Showed tons of shots of the student section and band but very little elsewhere. Fan shots were framed in a very calculated manner.

I know people harp on the tarps but I'd rather see them in the endzone than empty seats. It's why I say bust out the South Endzone and make the whole thing the beer garden. That area is always full. Then I'd move The Band of Blue to the lower seats in the new North Endzone the way WVU has The Pride of WV.

IMG_0288.jpeg

It's like this. Earlier in the season I was seriously considering coming in for UTEP or FIU and going to Lynchburg.

After WKU I decided no to driving 7hrs to see this mess and after JSU I decided no to driving 2.5hrs.

And honestly even if I lived in the 'Boro I wouldn't drive 30min to go see them, even after winning last night. It still is a 2-5 team with zero chance at a championship. But hey, that .500 "goal" is still within reach!

Change is needed so freaking bad.

It's like this. Earlier in the season I was seriously considering coming in for UTEP or FIU and going to Lynchburg.

After WKU I decided no to driving 7hrs to see this mess and after JSU I decided no to driving 2.5hrs.

And honestly even if I lived in the 'Boro I wouldn't drive 30min to go see them, even after winning last night. It still is a 2-5 team with zero chance at a championship. But hey, that .500 "goal" is still within reach!

Change is needed so freaking bad.
I live 15 minutes away and didn't go last night. No desire to go, even with the win last night.

Halftime images from last night. Way to go Rick.

IMG-8127.jpg

IMG-8128.jpg

Record aside, this alone is worthy of a coach losing a job. How does Rick not understand why people don't come? Worst yet how does our administration not realize why this matters. Because they clearly don't or they wouldn't keep doing the same thing that's run everyone off.

I intentionally shared that App St picture, because that game is being played on the exact same night at the exact same time with even colder weather than we had. Just in case anyone out there is intending to use the weeknight excuse.

I remember mccollum was stinking it up and attendance was down, but not that bad and McPhee was pressuring Boots on attendance. Why isn't McPhee concerned now. I see no evidence of any unhappiness about wins and losses or attendance.

I intentionally shared that App St picture, because that game is being played on the exact same night at the exact same time with even colder weather than we had. Just in case anyone out there is intending to use the weeknight excuse.

It's why App St. and schools like them will rise to the top of the G5 and we won't. It's that simple.

Truthfully speaking, we don't belong in a conference with them anyway. App St. and schools like them are better than MT in every measurable way.

We are right where we belong in CUSA. It's sad and it sucks but that's just reality. Our team and program is not good, our fan support is nonexistent, and nobody cares.

• Sad
Reactions: RaiderDeez
I remember mccollum was stinking it up and attendance was down, but not that bad and McPhee was pressuring Boots on attendance. Why isn't McPhee concerned now. I see no evidence of any unhappiness about wins and losses or attendance.
I don't believe there is an attendance mandate anymore

I don't believe there is an attendance mandate anymore
Yeah I know, but McPhee should care anyway, because it is indicative of the health of the program. It's not any wonder MT isn't respected enought to warrant an invite when there's realignment going on. Not just attendance but the record on the field.

It cost them more to burn the stadium lights last night than they took in in ticket sales of actual attendees. I feel sorry for the players, much like how I feel for the Vandy players. At least they are playing in front of live human beings from other SEC teams.

I didn't go last night. I had to be in Louisville (6-0???) for work and could have made it back, but decided to have dinner with a co-worker instead. After the previous week's debacle, i wasn't interested. I did watch on my phone because it wasn't on a station that the hotel carried.

So many thoughts, glad we won, but this isn't acceptable.

Record aside, this alone is worthy of a coach losing a job. How does Rick not understand why people don't come? Worst yet how does our administration not realize why this matters. Because they clearly don't or they wouldn't keep doing the same thing that's run everyone off.
They don't care. They're parasites.

I didn't go last night. I had to be in Louisville (6-0???) for work and could have made it back, but decided to have dinner with a co-worker instead. After the previous week's debacle, i wasn't interested. I did watch on my phone because it wasn't on a station that the hotel carried.

So many thoughts, glad we won, but this isn't acceptable.
I was in Minneapolis so I couldn’t make the game. Our usual crew didn’t go either. It’s frustrating that we cannot win a game when fans are attending. CSU was a highly attended game for us and a ton of students were there. To lay an egg and start 1-5 just obliterated all enthusiasm and I’m not sure there’s anything that can be done to salvage attendance this year. I’ll be there for the FIU game but I doubt many others will be.

I was in Minneapolis so I couldn’t make the game. Our usual crew didn’t go either. It’s frustrating that we cannot win a game when fans are attending. CSU was a highly attended game for us and a ton of students were there. To lay an egg and start 1-5 just obliterated all enthusiasm and I’m not sure there’s anything that can be done to salvage attendance this year. I’ll be there for the FIU game but I doubt many others will be.
Back when Stock was hired in 2006, our attendance was actually pretty good at the beginning of the seasons. It was common to get 20-25,000 in Floyd in September, and sometimes even close to 30,000 depending on opponent name/nationally televised games (it was a lot rarer for us back then). It NEVER failed that when we had the biggest crowds it was a bunch of intrigued causal fans/students, the team would blow it in a glorious and embarrassing way. This resulted in attendance decline as those causal fans/students wouldn’t return and by seasons end 10-15K would still be there. After 18 years, everyone knows exactly what’ll happen on the field, the game atmosphere is boring, so people aren’t showing up anymore. So your experience with the CSU game is a very common theme in the Stockstill/Massaro era

There are over 600k people in Nashville, with over 1.3m in the metro area. Over 150k of them in Murfreesboro.
We have over 20k students.

Out of all that we can't get 20k or 25k? The only reason why, the product on the field. And there's one person in charge of that. We could have the worst game environment ever. The worst PA guy (which thankfully we don't have). No family zone for kids. No beer sales. But if we were winning consistently, they'd still show up. Period. And contrary to what some say on the interwebs, just because you have an overall winning average doesn't mean you really are winning.

Reactions: ewglenn and Hop45
Attendance was counted at 9,602 Tuesday night. Is that an all time low for reported for us?
Wow! I was in FL during the game, so I couldn't see anything. But for those that were there, does that mean, given how our numbers are typically recorded, that you probably couldn't count more than 2500-3000 in the stands?

Wow! I was in FL during the game, so I couldn't see anything. But for those that were there, does that mean, given how our numbers are typically recorded, that you probably couldn't count more than 2500-3000 in the stands?
I'd be surprised if there were 2500 people in that stadium the other night

Back when Stock was hired in 2006, our attendance was actually pretty good at the beginning of the seasons. It was common to get 20-25,000 in Floyd in September, and sometimes even close to 30,000 depending on opponent name/nationally televised games (it was a lot rarer for us back then). It NEVER failed that when we had the biggest crowds it was a bunch of intrigued causal fans/students, the team would blow it in a glorious and embarrassing way. This resulted in attendance decline as those causal fans/students wouldn’t return and by seasons end 10-15K would still be there. After 18 years, everyone knows exactly what’ll happen on the field, the game atmosphere is boring, so people aren’t showing up anymore. So your experience with the CSU game is a very common theme in the Stockstill/Massaro era

We need to pin this.

I regularly remember 20k+.

"We don't support this program" is a falsehood that slanders the fans.

The fans were driven away by poor efforts bordering on fraud.

We need to pin this.

I regularly remember 20k+.

"We don't support this program" is a falsehood that slanders the fans.

The fans were driven away by poor efforts bordering on fraud.
100%

I've seen people claim "Well no one showed up in '18 at the championship game". Well let's recap that season as to why.

We started 2018 with a 7-35 drubbing by.....Vandy. You know, the SEC school in the area we are trying to grow in. Nice impression to start the season. We also lost to KY, another opportunity. Did beat WKU but they finished 3-9 that year.

So we come in to the champ game at 8-4 with our FBS wins over teams who finished a combined 32-41 with only two wins over winning teams, Marshall and UAB. Having lost to three SEC teams by 37-118.

In the general public eye, we were a 8-4 team (awful record for a division champ) who beat only bad teams. Of course no one showed up. Not to mention no one trusted Stock to best UAB twice in a row. And...he proved us right with the ole 12 men on the field gag.

It takes multiple seasons of wins and champs to get people to show. They aren't going to show the first go round.

Even if Stockstill was gone next year, the damage done by him to fan enthusiasm and attendance will take years of winning championships to redo all the damage done by stockstll which was damaged by mccollum already.

I don't trust Massaro and McPhee to correct that damage by making the tough choice which is evident to everyone else on campus and in Murfreesboro and the midstate. Stockstill has to go.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT