ADVERTISEMENT

G5 Playoff

I spoke with a coach and they said it's proposed that the #5 seed goes to G5 qualifier, and will host as long as they have enough hotels to accommodate the media and traveling fans, if not it will move to the others schools homesite.
A great proposal, (I think ALL conf champs should make it personally) but I don't see the P4 allowing that at all. No way do I see them giving the G5 team the 5 seed. Unless that team is ranked in the top10 which rarely happens. We will be the 12 seed almost every year.

It really should be 14 teams. 9 champs and 5 at large with top 2 getting byes. It is so simple but will never happen.

NY6 teams and rankings
'23 Liberty #23
'22 Tulane #16
'21 Cincy #4 CFP
'20 Cincy #8
'19 Memphis #17
'18 UCF #8
'17 UCF #12
'16 WMU #15
'15 Houston #18

A great proposal, (I think ALL conf champs should make it personally) but I don't see the P4 allowing that at all. No way do I see them giving the G5 team the 5 seed. Unless that team is ranked in the top10 which rarely happens. We will be the 12 seed almost every year.

It really should be 14 teams. 9 champs and 5 at large with top 2 getting byes. It is so simple but will never happen.

NY6 teams and rankings
'23 Liberty #23
'22 Tulane #16
'21 Cincy #4 CFP
'20 Cincy #8
'19 Memphis #17
'18 UCF #8
'17 UCF #12
'16 WMU #15
'15 Houston #18
I believe it has to do with getting the G5 schools to agree to all the other nonsense they are shoving down there throats. Only Liberty wouldn't have been able to host the game.

I don't think this has been discussed here. He isn't suggesting a separate playoff, but a 2nd one so to speak.

Let the G5 highest ranked team go to the CFp as it is now. Then there will be 4 champs left out most likely every year, and he is suggesting they play each other.

I've said for years that G5 conf champs should play each other in a bowl. I've always thought it was stupid to play a random 7-5/8-4 team even if it is a Power school.

Reactions: ewglenn
It might be too many games for those involved but maybe the winner of the 'other 4 playoffs' could get the last spot. But they probably will not want anther G5 spot. But that way every conference champ has a shot at the Title. Though that would be a tough road for the other 4.

Reactions: ewglenn
In my opinion, I think it eventually comes to be that there is a G5 playoff. I'd imagine top rated one still makes CFP but it would make it a lot more worthwhile as bowl games start to take another step back in value to programs

In my opinion, I think it eventually comes to be that there is a G5 playoff. I'd imagine top rated one still makes CFP but it would make it a lot more worthwhile as bowl games start to take another step back in value to programs
I still think all champs should make it, one can dream anyway.

But I honestly wouldn't fuss at a G5 playoff where the champ went to the CFP. It would bring tons of eyes to programs like ours and give everyone a legitimate shot at something other than a random bowl. But that is A LOT of games.

Say 8 G5 teams make it. That's 3 games just to determine the G5 champ. Then it's 5 more to the National Champ. Say a G5 team does that. That is 21 games. No way kids can do that.

It needs to become 4 conferences with 16-18 teams each, 6 teams make a G5P, and you possibly even go down to 11 reg season games.

Reactions: Predarat
I still think all champs should make it, one can dream anyway.

But I honestly wouldn't fuss at a G5 playoff where the champ went to the CFP. It would bring tons of eyes to programs like ours and give everyone a legitimate shot at something other than a random bowl. But that is A LOT of games.

Say 8 G5 teams make it. That's 3 games just to determine the G5 champ. Then it's 5 more to the National Champ. Say a G5 team does that. That is 21 games. No way kids can do that.

It needs to become 4 conferences with 16-18 teams each, 6 teams make a G5P, and you possibly even go down to 11 reg season games.
Playing a whole playoff just to get in another one would wear down a team and then you add on the fact they would be playing a P4 team right after

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT