SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
goblueraiders.com:

Blue Raiders implementing new clear bag policy

D3QLET7W0AECy49.jpg

Man. People are lighting the school up over this on FB. Even trashing the fact that there aren't but 5k people there at games.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Will be the first to admit my reaction to this is influenced by the fact we live in a large metro area and we have been living this a good 3-5 years.
August of ‘16 the MT volleyball team was playing in a tourney @ UT. They had a pretty tight, clear bag policy of which we were unaware. Because it was a nice day we had walked from our hotel. It took about 5 minutes of respectful back & forth before they let my wife in with her purse. Only after emptying all of the contents. There was maybe 250 people in an arena I guess holds 20,000. I understood, they have an institutional security policy, which they need to be consistent with.
Whether it’s the Hawks/Braves/Falcons they have had very tight security for several years. Where we have noticed the biggest change is at music venues. Regardless of whether it holds 1,000, or 20,000, there is gonna be pretty tight scrutiny getting in. It’s the new world order.
Hopefully whether it’s the TSU or Duke game, there will be 15,000-25,000 in attendance.
Candidly, have thought MT was way behind on this. Like most things.

I believe this is the big issue: So if over the years you've brought in your stadium seat with armrests and back rest for support, you no longer can. I can think of a number of people approaching their fifties and older who will likely say bye.

Are seat cushions allowed to be carried into the stadium?

Only approved seat cushions may be carried into the stadium. Large traditional seat cushions that have pockets, zippers, compartments, armrests, or covers are not permitted. Small seat cushions and seat pads without pockets, zippers, compartments, or covers are permitted.

I believe this is the big issue: So if over the years you've brought in your stadium seat with armrests and back rest for support, you no longer can. I can think of a number of people approaching their fifties and older who will likely say bye.

Only approved seat cushions may be carried into the stadium. Large traditional seat cushions that have pockets, zippers, compartments, armrests, or covers are not permitted. Small seat cushions and seat pads without pockets, zippers, compartments, or covers are permitted.

If I can't bring my stadium seats in there now, I'm officially out. Seriously. It's bad enough to watch us play with 3 people there, now they're gonna limit people's comfort? That's bullsh!t. I need the high back. Those aluminum seats kill my back. If they pull that, I can just watch football on TV in the comfort of my own home. How about they fill it up first before they make a dumba$$ policy like that. I swear, this school is about as stupid as it gets with crap like this. They should let people bring in couches and tempurpedic beds with the crap attendance they're getting now. The athletic dept. is making my Saturday decisions really easy now.

I'm on the fence whether to renew my season tix anyway and I have carried the wife's stadium chair in to Floyd for 12 years now. This may just be the proverbial "straw". Heck, I can pick a game or two pay GA and still sit in my same seat.
As usual, MT making it harder to attract the average fan and run off us older ones
I have until end of May to decide

I'm on the fence whether to renew my season tix anyway and I have carried the wife's stadium chair in to Floyd for 12 years now. This may just be the proverbial "straw". Heck, I can pick a game or two pay GA and still sit in my same seat.

As usual, MT making it harder to attract the average fan and run off us older ones

Well, they didn't come out with this until I had already paid for next season's tickets, but I was not much enthused to renew, I am almost down to the last straw as well. I've been buying season ticket's since Boots' first season in 1979 and as the years pass, the university, the athletic department, and the football program continues to find new ways to irritate and alienate fans and there are not enough of us that they can continue to do that for much longer.

Reactions: Hop45

AMEN! I feel the exact same way. It's the dumbest thing I've seen them do in a long time and there's a mile long list of stupid crap.

Well, they didn't come out with this until I had already paid for next season's tickets, but I was not much enthused to renew, I am almost down to the last straw as well. I've been buying season ticket's since Boots' first season in 1979 and as the years pass, the university, the athletic department, and the football program continues to find new ways to irritate and alienate fans and there are not enough of us that they can continue to do that for much longer.

They have got to pay attention to what you just said space. When the great die hards leave like yourself, it's over.

Reactions: Hop45
Dumbest atheletic department in the country. How about spending time and resources on getting sponsors, attracting fans and making GameDay a great experience.
After many years wife and have decided to not donate until the shit show is gone.
Stephen Smith can have the stadium to himself.

Reactions: amgtmom
It is not a big deal. Most stadiums have the same policy. People wonder why attendance sucks and we cannot raise money for facilities then threaten to not renew season tickets because they cannot bring their stadium chairs.

What it says is that the fans don't matter. "We want you to come to our games but we want to limit your comfort. We want to dictate how you enjoy our games." That's their message that they are sending. Other stadiums have this policy? Where? I've taken my large chairback stadium seats in just about every SEC stadium and no one has ever said jack. Funny enough, I bought those at Lightning's locker room over 10 years ago. They are blue with the MT logo on em.

It's a dumbass policy. We don't ever crack 17k much now and we have never had to take off the tarps since they put them on but these seats now cause a stadium space issue? No, they want you to buy their chairback stadium seat rentals. That's why they are doing this. It's a money grab. It's not a safety or space concern. It's to gain money from a sparse crowd.

It seems like it's not a big deal but the reality of it is that it's a crappy thing to do to the fans. It's basically pissing in the face of the people who show up to watch us play nowhere state in a bottom feeder conference. Now we can't even do it in comfort. We gotta be miserable like the program is. Awesome philosophy. Let's not improve the gameday experience and let's make it harder on fans to enjoy the game. Sounds like a great idea. LOL. The Blue Raider admin on facebook told me last night that my nice wider stadium chairback seats would not qualify to bring in now. I've been using them for over 10 years and bought them there. I can no longer use them so I'll go ahead and skip this season. I might make one game but I'll stand up more and piss other people off because those aluminum benches are hell on my back.

It seems trivial but how is it a good policy when the attendance is already flatlining? It's just crappy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Predarat
We have enough space right now where everybody in their could sit in a Barco lounger and the place would still be half full. So stupid.

Well what else would you expect from the crew we have running things.

Southern Miss just got a new AD. Charlotte got a new one last year. NT and UTEP got new ones a few years ago. I am sure there are others as well. Why are we cursed with the same blah AD, President, and football coach for eternity? Even a bad higher would be a welcome sight compared to this endless meritocracy.

Went to a sounds game last night. First off...wow the new logo ... I mean from the tristar to the logo, everyone was buying the new hats like candy.

Anyhow, what they are doing is how you get people to events. Yes they have spent money. A lot of money but the crowd is not concerned about the league standings. Instead of spending gobs of money on a contract that money could be used to build places where people want to be. People are going to have a good time.

I would start with copying what they do at the band box.

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20150810&content_id=142304950&sid=t556&vkey=team3

We can sell beer. Put an open area that mimics this and its an immediate start. We have the luxury of having a stadium where you can walk around the entire concourse. Put it where the kids jumpy things are. Start with something. Show you are willing to do something different than 1998.

Went to a sounds game last night. First off...wow the new logo ... I mean from the tristar to the logo, everyone was buying the new hats like candy.

Anyhow, what they are doing is how you get people to events. Yes they have spent money. A lot of money but the crowd is not concerned about the league standings. Instead of spending gobs of money on a contract that money could be used to build places where people want to be. People are going to have a good time.

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20150810&content_id=142304950&sid=t556&vkey=team3

We can sell beer. Put an open area that mimics this and its an immediate start. We have the luxury of having a stadium where you can walk around the entire concourse. Put it where the kids jumpy things are. Start with something. Show you are willing to do something different than 1998.
The Sounds have one of those things they call a real marketing department.

But see, that is what I don't get. We have over 20k students yet we never use them. I've said for years, get with the marketing students and create a class that is nothing but promoting athletics. Fresh (and more or less free) ideas.

Same for as someone said above the media production. We brag about how great that department is (and it is, I'm a product of it) but yet we don't do our own productions and when we do, it sounds awful.

No one from Murphy to Cope to any other building on campus is on the same page for promoting the University. Notice I didn't say grow, I said promote. There is a difference. We are plenty large enough. We need to promote to create support from that large base.

I have been saying this since we have been able to sell beer. Turn the area behind the family zone into a Beer Garden ( or whatever ) TV 's, seating, bar tops, waiters, umbrella, wifi, heck you name it. Just copy this model and I know there are several out there as well. Make it unique to conf USA at least. University of Colorado has a great one. A chophouse atmosphere. Kids just want to hang out and text their fiends anyway
Great find JDB.

Reactions: TrueBlue147

If we just copy exactly what the Sounds do and we will be a lot better off.

I think one of the problems with Masarro is that he came from South Carolina a school where all you have to do is play the game and people show up. He has no experience building a fan following. We need someone from a similar or smaller school that has a proven record of building fan support, raising money from individuals and corporations.

If we just copy exactly what the Sounds do and we will be a lot better off.

I think one of the problems with Masarro is that he came from South Carolina a school where all you have to do is play the game and people show up. He has no experience building a fan following. We need someone from a similar or smaller school that has a proven record of building fan support, raising money from individuals and corporations.
I agree. We also need a president who is politically connected. The state higher education board still has its thumb on MT.

"Why are our crowds getting smaller?"

Well, the product is not appealing, and the administration does crap like this. Really, you can't take in chairback seats anymore? LOL.

This is the most negative college sports message board. This new clear bag policy is not a big deal. It's a result of the world we live in. Quit threatening to pull your support over inconsequential issues. Be a real fan through thick and thin. I'm not losing interest in my MTSU Blue Raiders, the coaches or AD - I'm only losing interest in this incredibly negative forum!

This is the most negative college sports message board. This new clear bag policy is not a big deal. It's a result of the world we live in. Quit threatening to pull your support over inconsequential issues. Be a real fan through thick and thin. I'm not losing interest in my MTSU Blue Raiders, the coaches or AD - I'm only losing interest in this incredibly negative forum!

And that kind of thinking is the problem. Instead of holding coaches and the administration accountable you just set back and accept it.

I do not like the idea of fans and donors coming and going depending if things are good or bad. Sounds pretty fair weather to me, but I understand the idea of speaking with our wallets. What we need is someone who can speak with their wallet by donating so much the Board listens.

LOL so now they are not going to let people bring in the chairback/seat cushions they bought AT Lightings Locker Room? What a cluster f--- this whole thing is. The entire Athletics Department has been ran into the ground by buffoons as well as the school president.

I'll speak for myself here. I'm not losing interest in My MTSU Blue Raiders, or the coaches. I have lost interest in a Pres, AD, marketing dept, student body, and city for all the reasons I hope you have read previously. No one here wants to give up. If we did, we would just go away and root for the $ec team of our choice and call it a day. It's hard being a Middle fan ( for all the reasons I hope you previously read) If you can honestly sit there and tell me there is nothing wrong with this program, and everything is unicorns and skittles then have at it my friend. These are not inconsequential issues we are talking about I'm not even talking about wins and losses. Yes, a clear bag policy is nothing to pull my support for. But, what got us here? What keeps us here year after year with the same tired ole results? I'm suggesting that if this program wants my season ticket money it must do more than put out a video and send me a letter each year asking me for more of the same. Because all I get for them is more of the same. Sir, I am the real fan. Been thru thick and thin with this program for many years. Would love to tell you my fandom story sometime. Right now, it's pretty Thin
Go Blue

Last edited:
[QUOTE="jbblueraider, post: 97254, member: 2276" Be a real fan through thick and thin. I'm not losing interest in my MTSU Blue Raiders, the coaches or AD - I'm only losing interest in this incredibly negative forum![/QUOTE]

Since when has one stopped being a real fan by voicing ones disapproval of a clear bag policy? I really would like to know why this is unpardonable? I’m fully aware about dangers of the world that we live in today and safety should be rightfully at the forefront. MT chair back stadium seats on sale at the stadium in November are now prohibited: think it was a bit shortsighted over how and timing of this was formulated. I’m not upset on this one issue, but it’s one of a litany that can be called into question legitimately. MT has far more urgent issues than clear bag and seat cushions: the stadium emptiness speaks for itself. Leadership/Vision, Excellence, and Accountability are three that come instantly to mind and continued weak performance in each those will make me more upset than a clear bag/seat cushion policy ever will.

Since when has one stopped being a real fan by voicing ones disapproval of a clear bag policy?

I do not think anyone is saying voicing disapproval of the policy makes you stop being a real fan. What makes people question someone being a fan is pulling support over the clear bag policy, current leadership, etc. They are clearly not going to change leadership because we on here pull our support. We need a different strategy to get what we want. I thought we had a good year in football including the CUSA championship game. It is hard to beat a team back-to-back. Especially when one of those is the caliber UAB was. Our bowl game performance was what upset me and the Vanderbilt performance. Georgia was what it was and UK we played great once we spotted them 14 points. FIU was just unfortunate circumstances. 10-4 would have been nice, but I doubt it would have mattered as far as attendance for this coming season. Duke at home is okay, but not like they are known for football.

When it becomes difficult to support this team, people are not gonna show up. Bottom line. You can question loyalty and all that being a real fan B.S. but the proof is in the pudding. We did not have one game last year where more than 10,000 tickets were punched. The DNJ just reported that. If that's not a huge problem, I don't know what is. Now, to add to that, they are now limiting and regulating those that still show up. 10k is gonna look like Neyland stadium this season. If we get more than 8k, I'll be shocked.

There is simply no excitement at MT anymore. Stock has the personality of a corpse most days and Massaro has tried to operate as a P5 school does which has driven us into the ground. He has scheduled our games the exact times when the other local P5's are playing, he has spent money with Nelligan and companies like that but not on marketing. He has not had student outreach nor has there been a real community outreach. At the game, the bottom floor of the stadium is a funeral home. No big TV screens, no tables with merch at each gate. A couple of food options but no signage to direct you to those places. It's just a shell of what it was.

This chairback policy was the straw for me. It's basically them saying "We don't give a crap about you but come to the games anyway." People can say this is negative all they want. When you have a dying program, the last thing you should do is crap like this. You have to be inclusive as heck and be innovative. You have to be willing to play on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, whenever the SEC teams here aren't playing. You aren't going to outbox them. We've tried that and it just doesn't work. The SunBelt gets that which is why it was a better conference for us than CUSA is now. The Sun Belt encourages teams to think outside the box which is why teams like Troy and App State are flourishing there. We had better attendance in the SBC as well.

People are not supporting this team and I'm no longer blaming the people. That's like getting pooped on by a bird and blaming gravity. People don't like getting pooped on so they don't show up to get pooped on. That's how life works.

I do not like the idea of fans and donors coming and going depending if things are good or bad. Sounds pretty fair weather to me, but I understand the idea of speaking with our wallets. What we need is someone who can speak with their wallet by donating so much the Board listens.

That's simply not realistic. Once again, that's a P5 school mentality and it doesn't apply here. People aren't going to give here to MT sports without getting. Bottom line. We don't have a law or med school. We don't have people with deep pockets on the level of a P5. We just don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT