Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
when I saw this my reaction was WTH?

Underdog Dynasty:

The Middle Tennessee Defense Must Be Less Aggressive In 2016

excerpt:

...It became rather apparent that playing super aggressive in the secondary was working versus the lesser teams on the schedule. When facing a strong offense like Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech or WMU, the Blue Raiders defense was repeatedly gouged.

Now for the good news.

With Byard and Watt gone from the secondary, as well as the entire starting linebacker corps, the scheme must change a bit in 2015. The defense cannot afford to send corners and safeties on as many passing downs and expect the senior leaders to pick up the slack. There will be young and inexperienced players taking their places.....

I think our big plays from the secondary came in bunches, not sure if his theory is quite accurate. We were never in the WKU game, Vandy game it was there running game at the end that destroyed us.

But the idea of addition based on subtraction is something I am hoping for! We lost the heart of our D, Best DT, 3 starting LBs and 2 starting Safety's. Next year it will all be new.

Well, the LB corps now has 3 replacements that can be better than what we had. Lambert, Bing Dukes and the 3 star freshman are all very fast and can tackle very well. They excel at getting to the ball and Dukes is a natural ILB who can rush or hawk the middle. He has a few picks from last season. The kid is a 4 star LB. Barber was a great player but Dukes could be even better. Lambert will pick up the D early and can be a solid contributor.

The writer is correct in saying that we over pursue in the backfield and when the offense picks it up or beats it with a run play or short pass, no one is in the mid area to stop them from getting to the second level or streaking down the filed. We need to keep our players at home more and send 1, not 4. Having faster LB's will help all of this as well.

With our offense, if we can just get a few stops and keep everything in front of us, we will be fine on D.

Nobody is replacing Darius Harris at the LB position, and it's likely D.J. Sanders will be a starter too. That's gonna leave 1 spot open. Probably Dukes at mike, darius at strong side, and sanders weak side. great corp right there once they gel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT