ADVERTISEMENT

Dead-tree media

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Before you jump my case understand that old habits are hard to break and I've been reading The Tennessean every morning since I was a MT student in the 60s (do they still have newspaper racks on campus?).

This morning we have seven (I just counted again to make sure) UT-K related articles in The Tennessean's sports page. SEVEN

They could just fax the Gannett Knoxville sports page to Nashville and print the damn thing. Crap

I'm mad, I can only imagine how fans of the school on West End feel.

It's interesting since UT sports are now very mediocre. The basketball/football ranking shows that. We're 30 spots ahead of them. :)

Reactions: MTLynn
The Memphis Commercial Appeal shutters it press and now getting the paper printed up the road in Jackson...

reaction to that step

Gannett Shuts Down Memphis Commercial Appeal Press, Continues to Cut Back in Tennessee

the link to blog article, an interesting read, excerpted in the above TN Star article:

Gannett Does Memphis: The Massacre at 495 Union

MTFNBY5, this excerpt pretty well echoes your complaint in the OP.

Just What You’ve Been Wanting: More Knoxville News

Then again, we wonder that because Gannett now controls major newspapers in our state’s major MSAs, except for Chattanooga, it labors under the misapprehension that we are dying to know more about what’s going on in Knoxville. And vice versa.

Until they had purchased Tennessee’s largest newspapers, we suspect Gannett wasn’t aware that Memphis is as close to New Orleans as it is to Knoxville, and almost as close to Dallas, Chicago, or Kansas City. Come to think of it, Knoxville is about as close to Canada as to Memphis.

And yet, we suspect that Gannett will not be deterred from its “one size fits all” business plan has disrupted cities across the U.S. and injected a brand of journalistic Darwinism like it did at the The Tennesseans, where it pitted existing reporters, including its best known, against each other in what the Newspaper Guild accurately called a shabby, mean-spirited “Hunger Games.”

More importantly, at the exact time that we all need more light to find our own way, Gannett is the light by commoditizing the news and formularizing its collection and distribution. Even a decade ago, it had trouble saying it was in the newspaper business, preferring corporate-speak and saying it had “profit centers.”

One advantage of the cut-backs in coverage at The Tennessean: last night's fiasco didn't make it into the paper.

The average Memphian may or may not care where the paper is printed but U of Memphis fans shouldn't be too disappointed - mid-state readers have had four articles in The Tennessean on Tubby Smith's problems in recent days. That's more Memphis Tiger specific articles than I remember, ever. The half-dozen Memphis fans in the mid-state should be thrilled and those in Memphis should be happy that Tiger publicity is "reaching out". As for fans of the numerous mid-state schools, recent changes don't do one thing to make us happy.

Gannett is making every effort to destroy print media in Tennessee, as if any help is needed. I gotta think the long-term plan is to go bankrupt and sell to a venture capital business who will break it up and sell the parts.

This Nashville Scene had an interesting bit in this article:

Gannett Slashes Staffs at Tennessee Papers

excerpt:

...A source also tells the Scene that town halls have been planned at each Tennessee paper to discuss "the future of Gannett." Speculation ahead of those meetings has centered around a reduction in publishing in several markets, similar to action taken at Mississippi and Louisiana papers. The Hattiesberg American will cut frequency from seven to three days per week, while the The Town Talk and The Daily World will drop from six to three. With markets of similar size under Gannett rule in Clarksville, Murfreesboro and Jackson, the same trend may be on the way here.....

This Nashville Scene had an interesting bit in this article:

Gannett Slashes Staffs at Tennessee Papers

excerpt:

...A source also tells the Scene that town halls have been planned at each Tennessee paper to discuss "the future of Gannett." Speculation ahead of those meetings has centered around a reduction in publishing in several markets, similar to action taken at Mississippi and Louisiana papers. The Hattiesberg American will cut frequency from seven to three days per week, while the The Town Talk and The Daily World will drop from six to three. With markets of similar size under Gannett rule in Clarksville, Murfreesboro and Jackson, the same trend may be on the way here.....

If the DNJ could be a true local paper again, I would mind it reducing the delivery days down from everyday - it sucks that I see so much of the USA Today look and feel in the DNJ, I will be canceling it soon.

The Murfreesboro Post has much more local news/sports than the DNJ now anyway. Cancellation letter on it's way.

Reactions: T2Tool
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT