ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Cutting it Close for Those Wins

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
Whew! More than glad MT is able to come back to campus with both wins from down in Miami. Both of those games were a little too close for my liking. Then again, most years it seems like MT struggles to win by a few points down there. As Kermit has said, this team is really needing to get back home for some games.

At this point in the season, I still don't think the team has really settled into Kermit's system particularly on offense. No doubt that they are a tough team of fighters. There is a huge amount of talent on the team. To reach the kind of success from the last couple of seasons, the offense still has to come together as a team.

Too few assists! Way too few! Also generally lacking is good flow in passing. For Kermit's system, there is way too much players standing and holding the ball looking what to do next instead good overall ball movement.

Attack! Attack! Attack! Way too much settling for shots, or waiting for King to be the offense. As a whole, there is not enough aggressive moves towards the basket. If the player can't drive, they need to smartly move the ball. Still, the players on the perimeter need to be intensely and strongly attacking into the paint. Good things happen when guards get into the paint.

Related to Attack! is Giddy and this spinning fall away thing he has started to do this season. Where did this come from? Argh! His body needs to be moving or falling towards the basket when he shoots, not away! He would probably get to the line a lot more if he puts up his shot moving towards the basket instead of falling away.

Lastly, the way the new rules are effecting the game, the refs are making it exceedingly difficult for the team to play the tough physical defense that Kermit's teams are really known for. In more than a few games, the team has really gotten out of sorts on both ends over seeming not to know how to deal with the refs calling foul on every little ticky tack incidental contact in the game.

We have been on the road for a month...it will be ok. I think our guys will be glad to be home this week.

We have been on the road for a month...it will be ok. I think our guys will be glad to be home this week.

I hope you are right. It has been a pretty brutal stretch away from home. That includes a stomach bug that ripped through the team in the middle of the Hawaii tournament. There is no way that stomach bug didn't effect some of the guys strength and conditioning as a game went on. It had to sap some of their energy.

Hopefully time at home and to focus on improving as a team will do them a lot of good.

I've been expecting some 'WTF' losses and we really haven't had one this season, but the conference play is just a few games young yet.

At the end of the day, all that matters is peaking in March. I really don't care if we have the best regular season record although I am sure we are one of the top 2-3 teams.

The best way to beat us is to shut King down. Nobody has been able to do that yet. Giddy is well.....Giddy. Hes the man. He is playing consistently well. When shxx hits the fan put the ball in his hands. That is exactly what happened against Auburn.

I've been expecting some 'WTF' losses and we really haven't had one this season, but the conference play is just a few games young yet.

That is why the Miami games made me so nervous. It seems most seasons those games have the potential to be one of those losses that are head scratchers. Opening conf with 3 games on the road and now sitting 3-0 is a really good outcome.

Speaking of conference play, it looks like WKU might be back to their normal competitive selves. To WKU's credit of being a bball school, they usually don't have too many off or bad seasons.

Isn't WKU's transfer playing huge right now the M'boro kid w/ MT ties?

As expected, UAB looks to be doing well. Marshall has come back this season with another strong offense. ODU seems to be playing really well. The surprise, at least to me, is the poor start LaTech has had in conf. They appear to have athletic talent.

I think that overall the conference has improved compared to last season. As a whole, the conference was pretty bad last season.

It looks like the conf RPI ranking is up a few slots compared to last year, but it is still pretty much in the middle of the pack of all conferences. I think C-USA was about 10th or 11th in the RPI in MT's first year. The conference still has a ways to go to get back to that level. At least this season appears to be a step in the right direction. Hopefully, the conf will continue to improve and get better from top to bottom.

Hopefully another sign of progress is that two of the poor performers are going through the HC hiring process. UNT who struggled mightily last season appears to be improving with a new HC. It appears Rice is the team with a new HC that is really struggling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT