ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS CUSA to 11....SBC schools gone

This is all Judy. Unreal.
Yep. I really don't care that they are gone, but more the fact that Judy had NOTHING in place proactively to keep them from leaving the way they did. Either hard line stance they can't leave early or financial gain for the remaining members in order for them to leave early. Zero repercussions in place for the SB3 to leave early.

Has anyone found out what was agreed upon for them to leave? The bylaws have been in place before Judy took over as commissioner. Can't really blame this on her, you can blame what was negotiated.

So Rice and UNT the only two we aren't playing. Guess we won't again as conference mates with them at all then.

The conference announcement said they would determine the championship format at a later date. Wonder if they will keep divisions (being uneven) or do it like B12 and just have top two play.

Edit...do you have to have 12 for divisions or did they change that when they allowed champ games for 10 members?

Our last game vs. Marshall was a fitting victory and USM as well. The ODU game pissed me off worse than any game we played last year. That gameplan was terrible. We beat FAU and a Toledo team that were better teams with more talent but we lose at home on Senior day to ODU?

I'm good with them all leaving now. Bye! The SBC ain't what they think it is. We know that for a fact.

I’m not blaming this incident necessarily on Judy. Im saying that, overall, she has allowed CUSA to get to a point where schools want to leave for the friggin sunbelt.
Has anyone found out what was agreed upon for them to leave? The bylaws have been in place before Judy took over as commissioner. Can't really blame this on her, you can blame what was negotiated.

How much money does that equate into the pockets for MT?

That 2022 home schedule isn't exciting at all. Sorry, but it's blah. Good luck getting butts in seats for those games.

That 2022 home schedule isn't exciting at all. Sorry, but it's blah. Good luck getting butts in seats for those games.
Marshall, ODU or USM leaving didn't change any of this. We played all of those teams at home last year and we had jack squat there.

I've specifically asked that question on Twitter and crickets. Didn't expect a direct answer but was hoping they would see some sort of statement needs made but nope.

steady wins the race. Conference hopping may work for schools like Texas and Oklahoma who will be jumping to the SEC. But conferencing hopping for schools like MT is like switching lanes in a traffic jam on I-24. You ain't gettin' anywhere any faster. In fact, you're just impeding your progress. It's done now, though. So at this point I'd say MT needs to stick it out with C-USA and let everyone else play musical chairs.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I've specifically asked that question on Twitter and crickets. Didn't expect a direct answer but was hoping they would see some sort of statement needs made but nope.
When all is said and done and all the schools leave, MT should pocket an additional several million dollars (around ~$5 million). I'm way from that info right now.

When all is said and done and all the schools leave, MT should pocket an additional several million dollars (around ~$5 million). I'm away from that info right now.
Additional thought : Who knows how, when, or if MT will receive it. But that's the expected total. And I think that's why MT ultimately made the decision to stay in CUSA.

IIRC, it would cost roughly ~$5 million to leave, but MT stood to gain ~$5 million to stay. That's a $10 million dollar swing and that's money that can be used TOWARD facilities and prepare MT for the next round of realignment (when, or if, one happens). With new facilities, MT will be better positioned for a change (that said, it's sad that it took getting left out for the President to realize this).

The new CUSA seems like it could be a pretty solid conference across the board. NMSU, Liberty, Jacksonville St and MT had strong MBB seasons. Liberty is already a top G5 program and Jack St / Sam Houston St are good FCS programs.

When all is said and done and all the schools leave, MT should pocket an additional several million dollars (around ~$5 million). I'm way from that info right now.

So is thst 5 mil only the revenue fees? Surely the conference got some extra $ for letting (using that word lightly) them leave early.

Aside from the portal business. I am OK with what our conference looks like.

Ugh, not me. The geographic footprint alone is enough to drain any interest remaining. But since there aint no getting around the blind-leading-the-blind situation MT is in, we might as well play the cards we've been dealt.

When MT left the SBC for CUSA, it was like they traded in a full house and got a weak pair of 2's in return. Still possible to take the pot, but highly unlikely.

N.
Additional thought : Who knows how, when, or if MT will receive it. But that's the expected total. And I think that's why MT ultimately made the decision to stay in CUSA.

IIRC, it would cost roughly ~$5 million to leave, but MT stood to gain ~$5 million to stay. That's a $10 million dollar swing and that's money that can be used TOWARD facilities and prepare MT for the next round of realignment (when, or if, one happens). With new facilities, MT will be better positioned for a change (that said, it's sad that it took getting left out for the President to realize this).

The new CUSA seems like it could be a pretty solid conference across the board. NMSU, Liberty, Jacksonville St and MT had strong MBB seasons. Liberty is already a top G5 program and Jack St / Sam Houston St are good FCS programs.
I have heard that some of the funds will go toward improving the broadcast MT puts out on CUSA TV and other media.

N.

I have heard that some of the funds will go toward improving the broadcast MT puts out on CUSA TV and other media.
Hopefully they invest to ESPN+ quality. I have a feeling that will be a requirement for all sports if we were to move to the AAC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT