ADVERTISEMENT

Crickets?

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
We've just went through the worst two year stretch in 100 years of basketball at MT and there hasn't been a peep from the university's leadership about the state of the program in over a week since the season ended.

Like we've all known was the case Animal House rules in Cope/Murph. All is well. Remain calm. Nothing to see here.

They continue to validate my self-imposed ban.

It's demoralizing to know that the Board has rubber stamped status-quo/mediocrity that permeates campus.

What Space said. I wouldn't expect any news any time soon from any sporting establishment.

Don't know about you but I'm clearly having withdrawal symptoms. I've always enjoyed the season-ending BkB tournaments and since my semi-retirement being able to watch the games, even if MT is not is involved, has been appointment TV. If a game is on, regardless of which tournament, I'm watching. D-1, NIT, D-2 and D-3, CIT and CBI; I'm watching.
We have to remember that that are many citizens who couldn't care less about sports. Others are only casual fans who may watch the Super Bowl because it's on at a party they go to but rarely keep up with any sports. They may watch The Masters just to see Augusta's landscaping. My late sister was a high school BkB star, or so I've been told, but I only recall her attending one BkB game after graduating and her only interest I remember was watching a college FB bowl game if a local (read that as UT-K - VU never went and MT wasn't playing bowl games at the time) team was playing.
As for the lack of communication from Murphy and Cope regarding BkB; What did you expect? No comments and certainly no significant changes after the hugely disappointing FB season. And still no follow up from Insell or any players on their abrupt end to the season.
I'm wondering what each of you think will be both the short-term and long-term effects of this sports "shut down".
In my dreams a few TV sports channels would fold ($EC, BigTen, Longhorn, etc.) and a few shills for all things "Big Time" (Finebaum and Bilas for two) would be on the street collecting food stamps. I wouldn't mind a few radio sports talk show stations and hosts gone either since it's all about pro and "big-time" and much of the talk is not even sports related. I enjoyed sports-talk when it first started and it was all interviews (primarily local coaches - high school and college) and call ins by mostly reasonable fans but now when I scan the stations after entering my vehicles it's rare not to cut the radio off - no topics being discussed are interesting to me.
But that's in my dreams; in reality I know this stoppage, like everything else in the last 50 years will not have a positive effect on MT athletics.
Glad to have a place to vent - Thanks for starting this thread.

After Belmont dealt with Murray St., I was really looking forward to watching the SEC Tourney and Selection Sunday today. And.....hoping for a Bruins trip to St. Louis vs. Creighton or to Greensboro vs. Duke.

Stay well folks and stay home!!!’

Obviously MT is not, so far, getting much ROI.
Obviously McDevitt (and his agent) got him a good contract - Can't blame him
Obviously McPhee and Massaro were willing to pay good $$$s to keep the program going
Less obvious at this time - were McPhee and Massaro fishing in the right pond with that bait? Early results don't look as if they were.

Ok, I recently broke my own declaration of frustration of no spending on things MT until big changes are made. Just before all the virus changes, I was over by campus. Thought I would stop and check things out. I ran across a killer MT license plate on sale that perfectly matched my truck. So I caved on my own self imposed ban, but that is not the main point of this story.

I ran across someone I've known from MT that has been working at MT for decades. Suffice it to say that this person did not paint a flattering picture of the direction of the university. The type of things referenced were about admin/business type things and the general culture and the sense of community on campus that has been MT. This was from someone who loves the university and has dedicated their life to the university. Not that the person said or boasted about that part about themself, but it is pretty obvious to me.

To me, it just further reinforced the idea of poor leadership at the top of the university, at least in my opinion. I also continue to think some leadership changes need to happen at the top. I guess it is asking too much to wish that the Univ prez would retire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT