ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Conference Tournament

FIU and Charlotte are two teams who we have a lot of success against this year. I like our first round matchup with either of those.

Even if we don't play UTEP in our second game, I feel the precedent is set now that you stop MTSU doubling down on the post. We didn't handle this very well either game with UTEP. Savannah wasn't available most of this game, but that is a good game plan also. Savannah will try to reach in at times and get picky fouls. Add on a couple of others setting picks and having her run into them and you have the leading scorer in foul trouble while you are doubling down on the 2nd leading scorer.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I am sure the coaches will be working on this scenario a lot. Even if UTEP doesn't beat LA Tech, it is a good blueprint for any team to try. UTEP is very effective with it as they can double the post with two athletic wide bodies.

I am sure the coaches will be working on this scenario a lot. Even if UTEP doesn't beat LA Tech, it is a good blueprint for any team to try. UTEP is very effective with it as they can double the post with two athletic wide bodies.
I certainly hope you are right but our philosophy in the past seems to dictate otherwise. While we are almost always prepared on defense our offensive plan seems to be do what we want to do and if it doesn't work, keep doing it until it does (see UTSA stats for prime example) rather than adjust and overcome.

I certainly hope you are right but our philosophy in the past seems to dictate otherwise. While we are almost always prepared on defense our offensive plan seems to be do what we want to do and if it doesn't work, keep doing it until it does (see UTSA stats for prime example) rather than adjust and overcome.
Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I know I was certainly in shock and going insane after that UTSA game, lol. All that said, if we can just improve and hit 10% + better from 3 point range, with the number we shoot that would help tremendously.
Agreed. But there has to be SOME sort of adjustment from coaches... it's just dumb to not even try to change anything.

On a separate note, Gonzaga is falling apart at the seams against Portland in WCC championship. We definitely want Gonzaga to win this one as they are a guaranteed at large, and Portland is no chance other than winning this game. Despite their NET of 41, they have a lot of big wins.

Portland beat Gonzaga, that's another bid stolen from an at large. More motivation for us to come out and wipe the floor every night in the CUSA Tournament.

Wednesday's action

(9) Charlotte vs. (8) FIU ESPN+ 11 a.m. (A)
(10) UAB vs. (7) North Texas ESPN+ 1:30 p.m. (A)
(11) Florida Atlantic vs. (6) UTSA ESPN+ 2 p.m. (B)

Question. Would a Gonzaga with a 41, net, receive an at large bid over a MT team with a 30 net? Don’t see how that could happen….

Question. Would a Gonzaga with a 41, net, receive an at large bid over a MT team with a 30 net? Don’t see how that could happen….
I would say it is possible. Shouldn't be, but we can't count out the human factor in selections, the name associated with Gonzaga, as well as several other schools vying for at-large. While our NET is totally respectable, our Strength of Schedule could be better. Currently at 87 (29 OoC). Our OoC has to be improved in future scheduling as the new CUSA won't change much. The new conference mates have avg NET of 174, while those leaving are 178. Current CUSA NET is more favorable than WCC.

For comparison, Gonzaga SoS is 71 (11 OoC). It does help they are 8-4 in Q1/2 while we are a still respectable 6-2. We also both beat Louisville who will take an at-large themselves.

Gonzaga's current NET is 45 and can change slightly, but only based on how their OoC opponents do in their few remaining conference tournaments.
We are 28 and can improve on our own as FIU/Char would be a Q4 win, UTEP/LaT Q3, and then the championship which could range a Q2 to Q4.

I think a one and done could hurt us. We are undefeated in Q4 and don't need a loss there. I'm iffy on how semis would hurt. We make it to the champ I think we are in no matter what.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT