ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CKD on radio 2-20-2018

Great Interview. However, Mark Howard's first question out of the gate is about attendance and just has to use "mid major". C'mon Mark.

I liked Blaine's question of Kermit's longevity with MT. I'm curious what everyone else thought of Kermit's response. While he didn't answer it directly, it sounds like Kermit is really really happy here.

Great Interview. However, Mark Howard's first question out of the gate is about attendance and just has to use "mid major". C'mon Mark.

I liked Blaine's question of Kermit's longevity with MT. I'm curious what everyone else thought of Kermit's response. While he didn't answer it directly, it sounds like Kermit is really really happy here.

Yeah, I thought listening to it, that I have to feel pretty good on that issue...right now.

Interesting. Thanks for conveniently lining up the audio interviews.

That was a huge question to Kermit asking if he is a MT lifer. Let me clear, at this point I'd prefer Kermit remain a Blue Raider until he is ready to retire. A big statue in or around The Murphy Center and Hall of Fame is an almost certainty. If he stays until he retires, there will likely be a huge facility with his name on it. The newly proposed addition to The Murphy Center would make perfect sense. But I digress.

Over the last couple of years, I've been maintaining an opinion on MT retaining Kermit and the usual end of season speculation. First, I want to give credit to Kermit for being honest and well spoken. Dare I say, even diplomatic. He is obviously highly intelligent and articulate which helps make him a great ambassador for MT. I say that as ultimately I don't think he gave the answer I was hoping for. To his credit and character, he seems to be honest.

The opinion I've come to over the last couple of years about Kermit's future with MT seems to keep being reinforced as time goes by. My view on the matter is that Kermit is really happy with being at MT, but there is "the right" job out there for huge bucks and "right" situation that could lure him away. As his response in the radio interview indicates, he would be happy and pleased to finish a full and long career at MT. That's the good news. The downside, I didn't hear Kermit directly answer the question/statement put to him of being a MT lifer. Thoughtfully, Kermit seemed to reasonably and decently indicate how much he does like MT, Murfreesboro, and Nashville area. While mentioning the good fit and culture of MT for him, he did not say clearly that he is a MT lifer. He seems to be saying he is really happy at MT but is not yet fully committing to the rest of his career at MT just in case a really good rare opportunity came along.

I don't think Kermit is in a hurry to run off for a little more money only to have to go through a grueling 4 or 5 years of rebuilding a program with some large ACC or $EC alum base and fans breathing down his neck because 20 wins is not enough after 2 or 3 years. Kermit has been around long enough to see how often large obsessive fanbases can run off good coaches even though that coach may have significantly improved the programs Wins and Losses, getting Top 25 rankings, NCAA appearances, and national sports media talking about how good the coach is at the job.

The type of job that would make me nervous about losing Kermit would be if say a high level or elite program in a P5 type conference came calling with about a $3-4 million contract. The type of program that is not a dumpster fire rebuild job but is a program looking to replace a coach and continue the success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT