ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Byard picked by Titans

This is awesome! The ESPN guys gave some pretty good breakdown on him.

surprised to see him go that high honestly. i figured teams wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt because of where he played school and because of the combine snub.

Titans must have really been impressed with his pro day to take him with the #64 pick in the draft. That would have been a 2nd round draft position any other year except this year because the Patriots had their first rounder taken away so there was only 31 picks in the first round, so he for all intents and purposes was a late 2nd round pick.

Hopefully he can mold into a bonafied full time starter in the league and represent MT well. I do think he will fit well into the Titans zone blitzing scheme sitting back there playing centerfielder picking off passes.

They also didn't have a 4th rounder IIRC so it came down to get him now or take a chance that he'd still be there in the 5th. Given that Byard worked out for something like 12 teams, the odds of him being there were pretty low.

I totally agree. His 40 time on his pro day is what really got him drafted. I also think it showed the work ethic he has because he busted his butt getting that 40 time to where it is now.

I did a little research to put it into perspective. Terrell Buckley had 21 picks in college, Byard had 19. Both had the same amount of pick 6's and were one shy of the NCAA record. Deion Sanders only had 14 picks and 3 pick 6's. Wow! KB didn't have the help that Primetime had.

Derelle Revis had 8 INTs and Richard Sherman only had 6 (but only played 2 years at DB) KB did more in his freshman year than Sherman did in his last 2 years.

It's such a strong pick that it's almost hard for me to believe that the Titans are making such good choices.

His pro day/workout sealed the deal IMO. His production caught their eye (19 INTs) but his strong pro day and coaches raving about Byard are the reason that Byard was the Titans 3rd round pick.

Might have been a slight reach but without a 4th round pick, they didn't want to leave him on the board. His ability to play either Safety position will be an asset

I wanted to chime in here before, but I've been busy at work working storm damage claims in San Antonio. Let me just say, judging by the eye candy strolling around UTSA's campus, I'm proud to be in a conference with them.

But back to Byard - I couldn't be happier with this pick. My favorite team has another Blue Raider - hopefully this one works out better than Calico. I've been talking Byard up for months on the Titans message board.

I think Calico liked being a football player better than actually playing football. Byard won't have that problem - he's way too smart on the field.

He'll be a perfect centerfield safety for the Titans, and I look forward to watching him pick off Luck, Bortles, and Osweiler 8 times a year. And he's in a perfect spot too - to learn from Dick LeBeau.

So glad he was chosen. Love watching Blue Raiders play on Sunday. I'm sure the Titans knew what a gem he was after the workout and knew they could get him probably at the 76 spot but that was taken when they traded up for Conklin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT