ADVERTISEMENT

Buster gone?

Let me state this a different way:

There is nothing wrong with the Utah pass or a sideline bubble screen or any other play when it is used sporadically.

That said, when defenses are waiting on a certain play to the point that interceptions and/or lost yards occur repeatedly over the years with different OC's then the head coach is at fault.
Disagree. Mike Leach once called the same play/concept 50 times in a row. The difference, Leach made the play look different with tags and there was no down/distance/personnel tendency.

FBS coaching staffs know the top 4-5 run and pass concepts from each formation the opponent uses. This is typically given to defensive players a few days before the game for them to study (in addition to their own personal film study).

Offensive coaches can break, hide, or attack these tendencies through tags designed to use the constraint theory of football or to create mismatches. In essence, a series could look like this
- 20 yard (1st and 10) - X shallow for 5 yard gain
- 25 yard (2nd and 5) - Y shallow for 7 yard gain
- 32 yard (1st and 10) - Z shallow, Y corner for 4 yard gain

The "play" remains the same. Tags make the play appear "different" to the opposing defense. In essence, Buster roots in the Air Raid offense are built on a handful of simple concepts that are adjusted through tags to attack the defense.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
2 Things:
1) I miss the Utah Pass...how many times did we see Dwone Hicks break one of those puppies out for a TD back in the day! I hope our new OC calls that play at least once next season

2) If any of you guys get hired as our next OC will you please run the Utah pass just once for me.

Thanks!

Man, I'm really going to miss Buster.......Not

His departure is the only thing that even makes me remotely interested in the program to tell you the truth. And let's get one thing straight. He may very well go on to a Power 5 job after kicking ass at Arkansas St. because let's be honest, even Andy McCollum could somehow figure out a way to get it done there. Not sure what it is with MTSU's sloppy seconds having so much success there, but it's pretty funny. I do think ASU is due to fall flat on their face here soon though but could really careless. We're beyond those clowns now.

In terms of hiring an OC, there's really not very many eye-popping candidates out there IMO.

Joe Craddock is going to be loyal to Chad Morris and honestly he's not ready to have sole responsibility of an offense after one year. He will and should stay at SMU and continue to learn. Their offense was nothing to get excited about this year either. Terrible season they had. Even if he did have five years of experience under Morris I don't think it's a justifiable hire based on 2015's results.

Pierre Ingram - I have mixed feelings here. Ingram was a friend in college and still keep up with on Facebook so obviously I would LOVE to see him get the opportunity, but that's a very bias'd opinion on my behalf. Objectively, I don't know if one year is enough time to get beyond what happened especially after what happened with Willie Simmons choking his wife out. Stockstill probably has very little patience for high-level coordinators getting into trouble at this point. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to hire him because I know he has learned from his mistakes and is itching to redeem himself, but Stock will probably settle on a "safer" option out there if I know him like I think I do.

G.A. Mangus - As Casey touched on his previous article, it would be a pay cut coming from what he had at South Carolina. But right now he is unemployed so despite making 300k+ at South Carolina, making 200k or so here at MT is better than nothing. I actually have mixed feelings about the hire though. I don't feel like he was all that great of a play caller and benefited from a HIGHLY motivated, focused, and talented team in 2006 which was the product of a new staff in general and Stock cracking the whip. Maybe he's learned a lot the last several years while at South Carolina? I don't know. It would be a "safe" hire I suppose, but I don't think he would give us those 10 win seasons we're all clamoring for. I'm all about big risk big reward type hires, and this isn't it, though my money's on Mangus getting the job.

Stephen Wiley - I would just go ahead and hire this guy. He's watched MT football for over a decade now and played high school ball under the Wing T. He would bring a strong running attack with the Buck and Belly which is desperately needed and the occasional 316 Waggle would keep the defense honest. He'd come for pennies on the dollar too and bring a bunch of publicity to the school for hiring a medical professional to coordinator the offense. High risk, high reward if it works, no?

Man, I'm really going to miss Buster.......Not

Stephen Wiley - I would just go ahead and hire this guy. He's watched MT football for over a decade now and played high school ball under the Wing T. He would bring a strong running attack with the Buck and Belly which is desperately needed and the occasional 316 Waggle would keep the defense honest. He'd come for pennies on the dollar too and bring a bunch of publicity to the school for hiring a medical professional to coordinator the offense. High risk, high reward if it works, no?
Bless your heart for playing in that offense. I CAN NOT stand the Wing-T.

Since Wiley is throwing himself out there as a candidate, I'll throw my hat in the ring too (and I promise to make my offense more exciting than his ;) )

Welcome back, Wiley.

How was the hiatus? Nice and refreshed I hope!
Glad he is back. Long time lurker who just recently started posting and I always enjoyed his input. An honest opinion rather than pumping rainbows all the time. I would take a flyer on Pierre as wr or rb coach for sure.

I like the Ingram idea. I only know what was reported, but this seems a little less serious than the Simmons deal. Let's face it, if he was 200 miles east of where he got busted, it would be perfectly legal.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, and we need to make sure we take care of our own. He was killing it at Cal. I think he'd be great in taking over for Burns, and I hope Stock is on the phone today.

Reactions: TeKEraider
Bless your heart for playing in that offense. I CAN NOT stand the Wing-T.

Since Wiley is throwing himself out there as a candidate, I'll throw my hat in the ring too (and I promise to make my offense more exciting than his ;) )

I played wing t in high school too but we onky had 17 football players on our team my senior year.

There is a high school in Kentucky that still runs wing t and they haven't lost in three or four years.

I played wing t in high school too but we onky had 17 football players on our team my senior year.

There is a high school in Kentucky that still runs wing t and they haven't lost in three or four years.
That's fine and dandy but I'm a spread/pro-spread hybrid guy.

I did back when there was less stupidity to have to respond to... Maybe Memphis will lift the ban and solve that problem.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT