ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Basketball Commit (Joan Duran)

Verbalcommits.com has him as a 2 star commit although I don't remember him on their MT "offer" list a week or so ago.

Have to wonder though - 6'-6" ?? Thought we were going after "bigs" for the remaining (?) scholarships.

This post was edited on 1/28 7:38 PM by MTFNBY5

He's 6'6" but has a 7'1" wingspan. Word is he could still be growing as well. I like this pickup for MT to be honest. He's a solid player all around. Not the flashiest stat-line this year, but he is also playing with one of the top recruits in the nation (for 2016), which I'm sure has hampered his production a bit.

article.292587.large.jpg

Joan Duran (4) of Hamilton Heights drives on Brainerd's Kentrell Evans on Thursday during their game at Chattanooga State. The Hawks won, 68-49. Duran turned in a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds.

excerpt:

On Thursday, the Hawks' Joan Duran, who has collegiate offers from Middle Tennessee State and Eastern Florida, played like he was ready for the next level of competition right now.

Duran, a 6-foot-6-inch wing, turned in a sterling performance with 14 points, 12 rebounds, four assists, four steals and one blocked shot against the Panthers.

Duran opened with two quick 3-pointers in the first 58 seconds of play and parlayed them into a well-rounded effort.

"For sure," said Duran, who hails from the Dominican Republic. "I say what the NBA players say. It's not about games, it's about practice. You play how you practice."

Duran Propels Hamilton Heights Past Brainerd

Good size. Worries me that we were basically the only team on him, but my guess is that we recruited him more off potential than anything else.

seems to be realizing his potential. Maybe timing is everything...

dnj:

...Duran, a native of the Dominican Republic, is listed as a 6-foot-6 small forward according to HHCA's website; his wingspan is 7-1. The 218-pound senior has recorded five double-doubles in 23 games - 22 starts - for the Hawks (22-2) and is averaging 10.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per night.

"He's extremely versatile," Hamilton Heights coach Zach Ferrell said by phone Thursday. "He handles the ball extremely well. He can work with his back to the basket.

"He can guard any position on the floor and he's really good on the glass. He's really come into his own this year." .....

This post was edited on 1/29 5:40 PM by SpaceRaider

MT men pick up new commitment

I think this guy sounds like a great potential addition. You can tell in the picture posted above that he has great length and size. I can see him already being the point man in our 1-3-1 defense.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Borthick has an article on the commitment in the DNJ this AM including quotes from the kid and his h. s. coach.

Was kinda hoping this was a kid dreaming of a MT scholarship and committing before one was offered and it was all a hoax. Guess not. Still, I question our recruiting philosophy if we are willing to take a chance on this kid (not one offer from any 4 year school) with all the needs we have. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT