ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Back up to 13

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
Fresh off his official visit to the Boro over the weekend, Forest Hill (FL) DB/QB/WR Darius McClendon just took to Twitter to announce he's in with the Blue Raiders.

McClendon held offers from 12 programs, including Marshall, FAU, WKU, UAB, Appy State, Buffalo and others. Looks like MT is looking at him to play DB, but in reality he's a dual threat and can play either side of the ball. Nice pickup here to get the class back on track.

I would like us to start recruiting dual threat QBs - similar to Dasher. I really believe having a QB that is a threat to run is a huge advantage.
They have. Erdley, Grammar, O'Hara, and Shaun White were all dual threat QBs that signed with MT in the post-Dasher era

Reactions: MTLynn
From a trusted source ..... the WR group has had numerous injuries this year and he pretty much burned a red shirt to provide depth at several positions. Has around 10 receptions or something like that. Worked at safety early in the year when we had Several injured. Even punted a few times. I can tell without hesitation you he will be very much in the mix at QB. Kid is still 18 years old.

Look at roster next year. If we do have a QB emerge we could still be good on offense. Lot of production coming back and hopefully Anderson will recover from injury. Some of the younger lineman look promising.

They have. Erdley, Grammar, O'Hara, and Shaun White were all dual threat QBs that signed with MT in the post-Dasher era

Yeah, but none were good enough to beat out Brent (Brent's a great QB)...I guess I am opening that our next QB can be a true dual threat good enough to beat out a passer first guy.

Last edited:
Yeah, but none were good enough to beat out Brent (Brent's a great QB)...I guess I am opening that our next QB can be a true dual threat good enough to beat out a passer first guy.

Dasher was only good enough to beat out the pass first guys on the roster at the time.

Maybe if he was more intelligent and worked harder(I had class with the guy) I could see an argument for him maybe giving Brent some competition, but even without his off field issues.

Brent>>>Dasher

Dasher was only good enough to beat out the pass first guys on the roster at the time.

Maybe if he was more intelligent and worked harder(I had class with the guy) I could see an argument for him maybe giving Brent some competition, but even without his off field issues.

Brent>>>Dasher

I agree Brent is better. I know it’s asking a lot but imagine Brent with wheels. In 2009, Dasher carried us. Brent is amazing but someone who can pass and run is more dangerous. Dreaming a bit b

I agree Brent is better. I know it’s asking a lot but imagine Brent with wheels. In 2009, Dasher carried us. Brent is amazing but someone who can pass and run is more dangerous. Dreaming a bit b

Brent without wheels almost didn't end up at Middle. Yeah he talks about having always wanted to play for his dad but he scorned Cincinnati to do so.

Brent with anything even resembling Dasher's wheels probably would have had a litany of P5 offers and instead of talking about "if someone falls in love with him, maybe he can get invited to a NFL camp and with some luck possibly land on a practice squad." we'd be talking about whether or not he was a 7th rounder or possibly someone might roll the dice a few rounds earlier, or rather, likely the fans of his P5 program would be.

Last edited:

Brent>>>Dasher

Truly nothing against Dwight, but I've heard some pretty ridiculous things about the guy. Didnt he drive around a new blue charger with a white bolt down the side?

If you take away Brent's sack yardage he averaged 5.1 yards per carry this season. I mean that's not chump change.

Dasher averaged 5.2 in his best year (2009). It's difficult to separate the yards lost on Dasher because he lost yardage on designed run plays as well as sacks, but if you try to take into account his sacks he averaged 6+ yards per carry.

Obviously, the difference was that Dasher was more elusive and more likely to turn a potential negative play into a positive one whereas Brent isn't. But I would rather have an accurate QB who makes good decisions that one who doesn't but has wheels and throws games.

Dasher had 224 carries in 2009, its apples and oranges.

Look, I am not asking to get Dasher back, I am saying "ideally" we need a dual threat QB, especially when it comes to beating the better P5 teams. A passing QB that can run is a weapon.

If another Brent comes along, fantastic!

Reactions: C-Bow
OHara looks promising and I expect Shiflett to be in the mix. Both are dual threat QB's.

Dasher had 224 carries in 2009, its apples and oranges.

Look, I am not asking to get Dasher back, I am saying "ideally" we need a dual threat QB, especially when it comes to beating the better P5 teams. A passing QB that can run is a weapon.

If another Brent comes along, fantastic!
Define dual-threat.

Brent is hardly a Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning who stands in the pocket with little run threat. Stock is mobile enough to extend plays and run the zone read game.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Stock does a good job in the pocket and yes he is by no means a Brady type guy. He is tough and not afraid to get what yards he can. I think what is meant by a dual threat is a guy that is a legitimate threat to keep on the zone read and really hurt you. Someone you have to assign a defender to every play. Stock is by no means a statue.... I think he moves well in the pocket. But he is not a true dual threat where his run threat has to be seriously accounted for every play. I’m a Brent fan. One tough dude.

Whether Shiflett or O’Hara can display the leadership, accuracy, and ability to pre snap read defenses remains to be seen. But....O’Hara showed his shiftiness at FIU and Shiflett was a class AAAA state finalist in the 100m in Georgia his junior year. Both are legitimate run threats. Whichever one gets a grasp on the offense and shows the ability to make good decisions and be accurate will have a leg up. And.... don’t forget Nolan. He is not just going to go away. More of a passer however.

Define dual-threat.

Brent is hardly a Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning who stands in the pocket with little run threat. Stock is mobile enough to extend plays and run the zone read game.

I love Brent, but I swear there is a turf monster when he starts to run...how many times can he simply not keep his feet. Sure, he would occasionally get 5-6 yards or as we've seen him duck his head and "try" to run over people (from which he normally gets up limping for a few plays). He move well in the pocket and create time. But, I'm sorry, Brent is NOT a dual threat.

Nolan has the best arm on the roster in my opinion. That will be hard to discount. Going to be an interesting battle next year for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT