ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Another reason to hate the Urenge

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
When in my car last night I turned on 104.5 last night and heard BkB talk not realizing it was the weekly "Vol Calls" hosted by Bob Kesling, the voice of UT-K.
The discussion turned from UVA's loss as a 16 seed last year to previous losses by 2 seeds to 15 seeds. Kesling and his sidekick, whoever he was, had a hard time coming up with any examples but they knew there had been some. They remembered there had been a few and came up with losses by Syracuse (didn't happen) and South Carolina.
Did they just happen to forget the most recent occurrence, was it intentional, or is it just as I suspect: They are so wrapped up in all things "big time" that if they had remembered the '16 upset they would have remembered that Michigan State was upset but not by whom.

Absolutely no respect - screw them

Reactions: SpaceRaider
15 seeds have won 8 first round games.

Richmond over Syracuse in 1991
Santa Clara over Arizona in 1993
Coppin State over South Carolina in 1997
Hampton over Iowa State in 2001
Lehigh over Duke in 2012
Norfolk State over Missouri in 2012
FGCU over Georgetown in 2013
Middle Tennessee over Michigan State in 2016

FGCU is the only one to advance to the Sweet 16

Just remember Tenn is not accustom to being in this position. Their announcers are not very knowledgeable about basketball. Until the last few years SEC bb has been Kentucky and no one else.

15 seeds have won 8 first round games.

Richmond over Syracuse in 1991
Santa Clara over Arizona in 1993
Coppin State over South Carolina in 1997
Hampton over Iowa State in 2001
Lehigh over Duke in 2012
Norfolk State over Missouri in 2012
FGCU over Georgetown in 2013
Middle Tennessee over Michigan State in 2016

FGCU is the only one to advance to the Sweet 16

Don't know how I missed the Cuse loss when I did my cursory look at a list of 2 seed losses. I'll try to do better next time.

Hey maybe they didn't view our win as that big of an upset. Not likely. The fact is, many of CUSA teams have more elite eight or final four appearances than the SEC. That's big when you only have to win 15 games to make the tourney in the SEC

Last edited:
this got me wondering how many reasons (to hate utk) are there? With the exception of the chance to beat vandy at with all the conference opportunities that provides them, the number of reasons must stretch to near infinity.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I don't normally hate them because I usually don't care either way, what's going on in Knoxville. BUT, a friend's son is playing for them now, so I have to root for them.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT