ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL 2019-20 CUSA MBB Preseason Poll

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
2019-20 MBB Preseason Poll (First-Place Votes)

1. WKU (13)
2. UTSA (1)
3. Louisiana Tech
T4. UTEP
T4. Old Dominion
6. UAB
7. North Texas
8. Middle Tennessee
9. Florida Atlantic
10. FIU
11. Marshall
12. Charlotte
13. Rice
14. Southern Miss

2019-20 MBB Preseason Team

Devon Andrews, FIU
Jailyn Ingram, Florida Atlantic
DaQuan Bracey, Louisiana Tech
Antonio Green, Middle Tennessee
Xavier Green, Old Dominion
Zack Bryant, UAB
Jhivvan Jackson, UTSA
Keaton Wallace, UTSA
Taveion Hollingsworth, WKU
Charles Bassey, WKU

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2019/10/17/wku-tabbed-mens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

I think that's pretty close to where we will finish. I could see us finishing two spots higher or two spots lower. If Dishman wasn't out this season I would have said we had a chance of breaking into the top 4.

I think that's pretty close to where we will finish. I could see us finishing two spots higher or two spots lower. If Dishman wasn't out this season I would have said we had a chance of breaking into the top 4.

Your probably right...I think we will me much deeper this year than last even without Dishman. We really came on late last year...hopefully we will start faster this year. I'm looking forward to it!!!

Middle of the pack does sound about right. In last 10 years or so, middle of the pack expectations would be somewhat disappointing. After last year, middle of the pack will be an improvement.

Dishman's injury does hurt expectations. Before losing the key player from an already thin frontcourt, I thought the team might have made a run at the last slot in the top group at 4th. At this point, the incoming players especially the frontcourt players will really have to excel in their first year for MT to even have much of a shot at 6th and especially 5th.

To the coaching staff's credit, they do appear to be recruiting hard for quality frontcourt players. It looks like the coaches have the team on a path to continue to improve.

Reactions: GMClemson33
Looking around over at CBS Sports website in the last couple of days. They had their upcoming broadcast schedule up for both CBS and CBS Sports Network. It looks like CBS Sports Network is slated to broadcast the WKU vs MT game early in Jan. I think the game is Jan 11th. Please tell me that the students will be back by then.

Looking around over at CBS Sports website in the last couple of days. They had their upcoming broadcast schedule up for both CBS and CBS Sports Network. It looks like CBS Sports Network is slated to broadcast the WKU vs MT game early in Jan. I think the game is Jan 11th. Please tell me that the students will be back by then.

Nope. Classes don't begin til January 21. Seems like back when college was serious about teaching, we started classes the first full week of January. Last day of class in Fall is Dec 12. So they are off nearly six weeks. That's crazy.

https://cbbcentral.com/2019/10/15/32x32-conference-usa-preview/

here’s an informed C-USA preview. I like to read this guy’s stuff. He’s projecting the Dishman loss to hurt us worse than the media is, predicting another 12th place finish for the Raiders. I’m not quite that pessimistic. I think a good initial goal is to finish in the second pod (so no worse than 10th). However, we will have a lot of limitations to overcome. On nights where Jones, Green, and Sims are all playing really well, we are capable of playing with any team in the league. On nights where 2 of them play well (probably the average performance), we will be a mediocre team. If only one of them plays well on any given night, we could look pretty bad. I predict an up and down ride this season, but I think our upside ceiling and lowside floor are both a little higher than last year. The overall record may not look much different, particularly without Scurry in the lineup for OOC play.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Preseason Pomeroy ratings are out. He starts the season with C-USA lined up like this (national ranking in parentheses):

1. WKU (86th)
2. Louisiana Tech (110th)
3. UAB (123rd)
4. UTEP (130th)
5. UTSA (143rd)
6. Old Dominion (145th)
7. Middle Tennessee (167th)
8. Florida Atlantic (177th)
9. North Texas (185th)
10. Rice (187th)
11. Marshall (195th)
12. Florida International (204th)
13. Southern Miss (229th)
14. Charlotte (263rd)

Marshall has fallen like a rock and they didn't lose a coach. Haven't really kept up with the other programs woes, but that is a little surprising.

I think we are placed about right...I think a 10-8 or 11-7 in CUSA is what we can expect. Hopefully get on a run in the tourney.

Marshall has fallen like a rock and they didn't lose a coach. Haven't really kept up with the other programs woes, but that is a little surprising.

IIRC from prior reading, Pomeroy's preseason formulas weight primarily based on contributions that are returning from last year plus other inputs based on the program's overall historical performance. So my guess is that Marshall is taking a dive in the preseason ratings because of the loss of Elmore and Burks, combined with not having a consistent track record of success. They have a young guard named Taevion Kinsey who will be a good player (was a freshman contributor last year), but the consensus seems to be that the Herd is in rebuilding mode this year.

ADVERTISEMENT