ADVERTISEMENT

2 Healthcare conspiracy theories

altshauf

All American
Jan 15, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
Wiley especially, I would like your thoughts...
1. We already have a cure for ebola... The doctor that caught it while in Africa on aid cured himself about 5 years ago if I recall.
2. The cure for cancer is not truly being sought after by highly driven means. It has become such a big money-maker that those developing treatments would rather do so for a buck.
Just a couple of things I had in my mind today. Don't know why.
Thoughts anyone?

No matter the field, big business is all about protecting and growing revenue streams and big government ain't any different

Wiley especially, I would like your thoughts...
1. We already have a cure for ebola... The doctor that caught it while in Africa on aid cured himself about 5 years ago if I recall.
2. The cure for cancer is not truly being sought after by highly driven means. It has become such a big money-maker that those developing treatments would rather do so for a buck.
Just a couple of things I had in my mind today. Don't know why.
Thoughts anyone?

There is no cure for Ebola. There are several vaccines that show promise in preventing infection when exposed, but not a cure when infected. If someone is infected and the disease progresses, there are a few antibodies treatments that improve outcomes, but really you can only provide supportive care.

There would be more money in a treatment /cure than treatment without guaranteed cure.

I agree with Lynn but I do believe that anything that would "cure" anything would be embraced by physicians. I just watched two close family members die of cancer. It's nasty and I just don't see the compassion side being left out.

I agree with Lynn but I do believe that anything that would "cure" anything would be embraced by physicians. I just watched two close family members die of cancer. It's nasty and I just don't see the compassion side being left out.

I speak as someone who has been to every Ebola research lab in the country.

I see the efforts to work on cures and vaccines first hand. There is no efforts to hide treatments. The money would be in having an effective treatment.

Wow, that is interesting. So, are you saying that treatments would trump a cure?

I speak as someone who has been to every Ebola research lab in the country.

I see the efforts to work on cures and vaccines first hand. There is no efforts to hide treatments. The money would be in having an effective treatment.

Wow, that is interesting. So, are you saying that treatments would trump a cure?

If you think it through, more money in treating someone long-term than a short-term cure, which is more money than a vaccine that prevents disease.

That said, scientists are ego driven - you would rather be known for creating a vaccine than a treatment.

The problem is cancer is different than infectious disease. It may be caused, in some cases, by a virus, but it a dysfunction of self rather than a disease like Ebola.

I believe there are many potential vaccine candidates that never get developed. It costs a lot of money to go through all the FDA approval trials.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
There is a lot to unpack there. And I believe money would drive a drawn out solution...however I would hope that a cure would manifest itself, if found, for humanity’s greater good rather than the dollar.

There is a lot to unpack there. And I believe money would drive a drawn out solution...however I would hope that a cure would manifest itself, if found, for humanity’s greater good rather than the dollar.

Well, the real issue to me is that a lot of companies may push treatments or therapeutics that are not effective or have side effects in an effort to get a licensed product on the market. That’s a real potential issue.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT