ADVERTISEMENT

Quincy Riley Now Transferring

MTBig Blue

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2006
This is getting ridiculous. He was the one guy in my mind we couldn't afford to lose.

Anyone else still think this free 1 time transfer rule benefits MT?

And these kids can transfer any time, 365 days a year.

Get used to several of our best players leaving for greener pastures every year, all year long except maybe during season.

College athletics is ruined. It has lost its luster. Totally turned off by this. Look for our good basketball players to follow suit after this season ends. I’m about done yall. It’s just not fun, or fair, anymore.

Get used to several of our best players leaving for greener pastures every year, all year long except maybe during season.

College athletics is ruined. It has lost its luster. Totally turned off by this. Look for our good basketball players to follow suit after this season ends. I’m about done yall. It’s just not fun, or fair, anymore.
They can just leave and be eligible at anytime. Fall sports have to let there schools know by 4-1 to be eligible the following season.

Maybe I'm just getting too old, but it seems like institutional decay is epidemic in America. I enjoy some good MT games (at least when the teams play with good effort), but I don't watch near as much college sports as I once did. The lack of players consistently playing for a team for 4 years is big factor. Part of the reason why I have liked college sports in past years is liking or pulling for certain player/s and teams. You know, they have a consistent identity for a few years. There is a basic human connection of liking some players or coaches.

Guys like D Sims are getting to be a rarity. I'm hoping Lenard stays. A perfect example of a new young player with great potential I really like and enjoy seeing play with great effort and even swagger. I only hope we all can see him continue to develop into a superstar at MT over the next few years.

Look no further than the C-USA mess for institutional rot and poor leadership. This is hardly even touching upon the divide between the P5 and everyone else. It's not even close to being an even playing field and it is only getting worse by the year. I mean come on, Texas and Oklahoma to the $EC?! The whole superconference P5 thing is ruining the idea of regional rivalries between conferences. We all know where this consolidation of power and resources into a few conferences will lead.

Don’t even get me going on the NFL. I've been losing interest in the NFL for several years. Despite the changes free agency brought about, enough teams kept enough of the same players for enough years to at least make that change tolerable. I'm sure more than a few on this board also remember the days when it was rare for players to bounce around teams, especially star players. As much as anything, I can't stand that the NFL started to inject politics into gameday. It has essentially ruined the league in my opinion. For decades you could count on watching football on the weekend and not having to think about all that regular junk that you lived all week. It was fun with players and fans to have a rivalry about your team or who was the better player. Now, I have to sit through the league and media trying to shove a political agenda down my throat just to watch a game. Needless to say, I am watching less games now. I haven't watched a Super Bowl for several years. That would have been unthinkable for decades of my life.

Pardon the rant. Maybe it's my age and I'm just shouting Get Off My Lawn! Whatever the case, these large sports institutions are losing something that leads me to caring less and less about watching or being involved. They are losing that basic human connection. The lack of devotion or loyalty to a team by players and coaches makes it harder to connect to that team when almost everybody is new just about every season.

I think we might see more of our players end up at JSU. Might be some back-channel recruiting going on. Looks like they offered Lance Robinson....and I have a suspicion Quincy might magically have an offer from them too here shortly....

They are losing that basic human connection. The lack of devotion or loyalty to a team by players and coaches makes it harder to connect to that team when almost everybody is new just about every season.
They are losing the basic human connection because our society/culture as a whole has been for some time now. I see people hanging out in groups all the time, yet not really hanging out because their heads are buried in their phones and they aren't even talking to each other. People live their lives through the viewfinder of their camera app. They aren't really in the moment. I noticed myself doing this with my kids years ago. I pulled back a lot from it. I wanted to SEE more of life happen. I think a lot these players are always looking for that bigger taste of fame like so many on Instagram, YouTube, or TikTok. They have the attention span of a TikTok video. "One season and the offense or defense isn't built around me. I'm out." Jerry Seinfeld nailed it when he said, "To me, America used to be a place that made steel and cars and had giant department stores. Now we basically produce amateur talent and those whose judge amateur talent." Eh, I guess I'm old way earlier than I thought and up way too late.

We're a farm team now. That's not the end of the world though. We need to be farming the P5 kids who might be sick of being on the bench. Who's to say that we can't replace him with a more talented player?

This transfer portal stuff is only going to hurt teams that can't stay ahead of the curve. Teams that figure out how to work the portal are going to benefit. We need a forward thinking, go get-em, energetic, hungry staff that wants to put a lot of effort into building the most talented roster possible. We need guys to start working those backchannel twitter DMs of guys who might be stuck on the depth chart at Tennessee or Ole Miss.

Love it.
In the spirit of Moneyball, it would interesting to place available players on a board and go by stats and needs only to fill holes. We might just be surprised.

Reactions: ewglenn
Riley was out like every other game for some reason. He's very talented and it would really hurt to lose him but it wasn't like he played all the time either. It just frees up the spots to go get another transfer. That is IF he leaves. The Portal is just testing the waters. All of this is going to hurt the High School kids. A lot of HS players will be going to FCS just to play,

Last edited:
Riley was out like every other game for some reason. He's very talented and it would really hurt to lose him but it wasn't like he played all the time either. It just frees up the spots to go get another transfer. That is IF he leaves. The Portal is just testing the waters. All of this is going to hurt the High School kids. A lot of HS players will be going to FCS just to play,
More High School will be D2, D3 and NAIA. I saw more early commits' to D3 this year than the past 10.

More High School will be D2, D3 and NAIA. I saw more early commits' to D3 this year than the past 10.
We should take advantage of this by picking up mid to low-end P5 talent that is getting passed over for transfer portal guys. They may end up in the portal too, but not all of them will. I hope it all settles down after it is no longer a new toy.

In the last year or two, I've run across a few articles reporting how a bunch of players enter the portal that don't get picked up. Apparently, more than a few don't play at the D1 level anymore after entering the portal. I guess even the portal has a downside for some players. For some players, this suggests there is something to the idea of sticking with your team and working hard to try to improve if you want to continue to play the game.

Give it a few years and it will die down a bit. Kids are taking a big risk jumping in there. I suspect we will pick off FCS talent and P5 that are buried. I still think it will work out to be a positive down the road (assuming the coach knows how to use it).

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Different sport, but similar concept. Kermit developed a culture and earned a reputation for developing players particularly underused or overlooked players and developing them into outstanding successful players. It required the hard work and discipline, but he had the track record and reputation that made the effort worth it for players.

Sadly, Stock doesn't exactly fit that profile. A G5 type coach with a track record of developing overlooked or underused players into outstanding and successful seasons could really benefit from the portal if he played his cards right.

With this new OC, we had to take what we could get. I would have gone after ETSU's personally or Chatt's but it is what it is.

High school football is what I have gravitated to. It's local. It's cheaper. And more of a family atmosphere. I could copy and past The Duke's first post above and make it my own. Post #4 in the string. If high school football would use the passing game more, it'd be almost on par with college as far as entertainment value.

crposton's hope is one I share. Hopefully things will settle down once the new toy is no longer new.

I really thing this portal mess will slow down in a few years. Like said, new toy.

Kids will realize many times the grass isn't always greener. And I dare say it will get to the point, as with many coaches it is now, that once you enter the portal, you can't come back.

That said, I still have nothing against grad transfers and those with other reasons such as family, etc.

Our whole OL and half of our DB's have entered the portal

This is not sustainable.

I wanna know how many other schools are losing this many starters/key contributors to the portal. Not only is this not sustainable, but what's the fun in following a team if half of your starters on both sides of the ball transfer in/out every year?

Like, what?

College athletics is not even a shell of it's former self. They are turning more and more people off and it's going to die if they don't leave it alone. How can they not understand that college athletics was appealing because it WASN'T professional sports? If I wanted to watch sports where players get paid and there's free agency, I would just watch NFL/NBA....

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueBlue147
According to 24/7 since Jan 21
MT 17
WKU 11

I've got a feeling it isn't listing everyone. WVU has lost over 30 since Jan 21 but I count only 12 on there.

I'm more worried about starters/key contributors.

I'm all for 2nd/3rd string players transferring if they would rather play than be a back up. That's 100% understandable. But it really irritates me that a kid would transfer who starts for a D1 school.

Why even sign with the school to begin with if you don't plan on sticking around as a STARTER? You can achieve all your dreams/goals at a school like MT versus almost all other schools. I would argue you might even have a better opportunity at a place like MT because you can start earlier in your career if you really are a baller.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I really thing this portal mess will slow down in a few years. Like said, new toy.

Kids will realize many times the grass isn't always greener. And I dare say it will get to the point, as with many coaches it is now, that once you enter the portal, you can't come back.

That said, I still have nothing against grad transfers and those with other reasons such as family, etc.
I tend to agree. Everyone thinks they’ll start everywhere.

By that point, they’ll be enough “case studies” of G5 starters transferring to P5 schools who ended up riding the bench.

Right now, the players seem to be viewing G5 as AAA baseball and P5 as making it to the league. That’s fine. The transfer rules have gone against the players for years

It’s gonna take a few years to come up with a common-sense (well, as much that is possible for the NCAA) solution.

Well, Quincy can ask Zack Dobson how that worked out for him. That kid won't even see the rotation at TSU next year. Such a waste. He was a good fit here with talent. Quincy can go to Ole Miss and never see the field and then transfer down to FCS. That's the realistic trajectory now. I'm pretty sure Dobson regrets leaving us. He had Curry and Melo hyping him and look where that got him?

If Riley leaves, I wish him luck. What glitters ain't always gold and he'll need to experience that for himself.

I'll tell you I think Riley could be a starter at 90% of the programs out there. Dude had 5 interceptions and was a 3rd year Freshman. He even missed 3 games due to covid/injuries.

I'll tell you I think Riley could be a starter at 90% of the programs out there. Dude had 5 interceptions and was a 3rd year Freshman. He even missed 3 games due to covid/injuries.
True but look who he played against. Ole Miss will be loaded with dudes like him. It's just different at a P5. Very rarely does it work out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT