ADVERTISEMENT

Pogue: Blue Raiders making progress

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
dnj:

...If the last two games are indicators, then this team grew up a bunch as it closed the home portion of the schedule way too early. Thursday, the Blue Raiders bounced back to drill by 39 points a Marshall team that had won three games in a row.

Then came Sunday's stirring 68-66 win over rival Western Kentucky in a well-played game by both teams in front of a season-high 5,227 fans at Murphy Center. It marked the eighth time in nine games that MTSU had beaten the Hilltoppers, putting a dent in their regular-season title hopes and top four seeding in the league tournament March 11-14 in Birmingham, Alabama.....

This post was edited on 2/24 1:06 AM by SpaceRaider

Pogue: Blue Raiders making progress

I am happy with the two wins. Not sure its progress just yet, since we were favored in both games. We have a player (GP) stepping up. We played two home games, one which is our rival. Lets go consolidate some road wins and then we can call it "actual" progress.

Before we go and get too excited, flash back to the North texas game for a dose of reality. I still can't figure out how we blow a 21 pt lead in the second half. Eliminate those type of mistakes and consistently play like we have the last 2 games, then I will concede that progress has ben made. Consistency is the key.

Typically, 3 pt shooting is streaky over time. It's great Giddy Potts had a breakout weekend at home after such demoralizing losses down in Texas.

I agree, MT will have to continue to improve and win on the road long before I'm ready to say the team has arrived.

From what people are saying, the team was in a real low place after UNT. Rightly so, Kermit correctly commented that he was kind of hopeful to see the subdued and down team after UNT. To then see the team bounce back with some wins is a real positive sign IMO. Again, some road wins and consistency are necessary before I'm ready to declare MT has turned the corner.

A couple of other thoughts, it seems to me the hot 3 pt shooting of #GiddyUp and D Harris was the main factor for the win vs WKU. Significant to note that on Senior Day, there was very little to no contribution from the MT seniors. To me, that speaks volumes about this season. The seniors' stat line looked terrible. I don't think either scored a point. Not much in the way of rebounds either. Not trying to throw them under the bus, but they just haven't been the stellar players who have led the team in making big plays on the court. Good heart and effort? Sure. Roles to play.

I'd really like to see the Assist:Turnover ratio turnaround. Far too many careless turnovers. When this team learns and develops the chemistry to make those extra passes in attacking the basket, I suspect it will be a team that will begin to be very competitive at the top of the conference. Of note, a few of the players are starting to get that chemistry with the extra pass for 3pt shoots. That is good progress, but the big accomplishment will be the extra dish while attacking the basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT